Add Luis Ayala to the stable

Fan4Life

Sigh. Of course we're the team to bite after he had a career year at age 33. If you ignore last year, he has been sub-replacement since 2008.
Remember before, we heard that he was looking for 2 years...Angels, who were the other team bidding on him, only wanted to go 1 year.

Even if we gave him a 1/1 deal, this is still a pretty poor and meaningless signing.

I am just not getting this deal, either. This would be OK if we were bringing him in on a minor league deal...but giving this guy a major league deal is stupid.
I sure hope this is what's happening. I honestly can't think of a reason for this guy getting a big league contract.
Not only is Double D building a bad roster, but he seems to be building TWO bad rosters! How many people does he think we have room for?????
It wouldn't be an Orioles offseason without signing a 30-something reliever coming off an artificially good year to a major-league deal. I don't see the point of this signing at all unless it means Gregg is going to be jettisoned.
Even if Gregg is getting dealt, this signing is still poor.
Pretty much my thoughts. Prior to last year he wasn't good since 2007 with the Nats.....and we give him a ML deal. Why? I think this first time I've been somewhat critical of DD. I know its not a big deal, but it just seems dumb.
There is really no difference between him and Berken or anyone else.

He is a generic, dime a dozen guy coming off a lucky season.

The 2012 Orioles: 10 pounds of crap in a 5 pound bag.
People need to stop with this. He took the job like 3 weeks after Theo and Dipoto. The process was a mess but 3 weeks doesn't get him a mulligan.

Ayala is an expenditure of resources that almost certainly could have been better spent elsewhere.

It's like a lot of the moves this offseason. Even if it works out, it's not a wise investment for a 69 win season with little in the minors. All investments should be focused on being competitive in 2014 and beyond.

How do you say, "he's not blocking anyone" and then in the next sentence say it means Matusz, Britton, and others will be in the minors.

Defending every nonsensical move our new GM makes is swell but when he's signing (Ayala) or acquiring (Lindstrom) middle relievers for significant dollars it certainly begs the question: what the hell is he doing?

I think I'd rather have had Mike Gonzalez back.
PA's pocket.

And yes, I am serious...I would rather see Angelos make more money than make a pointless signing like this one.

My guess is some people owe DD an apology! Ayala has been money for us this year and was a solid signing. Some of the comments above remind me why I like the board much better now. ;)

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My guess is some people owe DD an apology! Ayala has been money for us this year and was a solid signing. Some of the comments above remind me why I like the board much better now. ;)

I'll gladly admit that I have been proven wrong about Ayala. I still get nervous whenever he comes out for a second inning, as I did yesterday, but that's neither here nor there. That doesn't mean that those who were against signing him, myself included, didn't have reasons to think he might not pan out, he had several years of being an average at best reliever prior to last year, including a year in the minors with terrible numbers in 2010. But, Buck's found the right way to use him, I love that he doesn't give up walks, something that never goes out of style in the bullpen, and he's been a solid contributor all season. DD hasn't gotten everything right, but this is one where he did, and I'm glad to say I was wrong on it.

Thanks a lot, Tony.

Now, you have half the board pissed off at me. :laughlol: :)

Originally Posted by Dipper9

Not only is Double D building a bad roster, but he seems to be building TWO bad rosters! How many people does he think we have room for?????

This one is my favorite, because we have needed almost every single person because of the injuries and extra inning games. Hope DD is looking for 12 more people to sign this off season.

O

LUIS AYALA O(vs. RED SOX, 9/23)

IP:. 0.33

H:o 2

R:O 1

BB: 0

SO: 0

Pitches: 9 (8 Strikes, 1 Ball)

2012 ERA: 2.74

I know this was mentioned in another Ayala thread but his IS% is 45%. Looking at his ERA alone is misleading. This has been the major knock against him for a while and it still holds true. Don't let him pitch with runners on.

No brainer. That's small money and Luis Ayala provides a service. Forget the fact that he's actually been pretty good. He's also available to pitch just about every night it seems. He would have some value in a trade also. Maybe not a lot, but minimum salary is something 400 or 500K now, isn't it?

I think that it's $480 K.

Archived