Potential blockbuster with the Dodgers brewing

bigbird

Is there a point you are trying to make?

Not really. I just saw that it was the foundation of a dynasty, no other way to put it, and that just had me wondering about how many big league ballgames the dynasty's starting lineup had actually played, that's all. Anything wrong with that? We shouldn't be wondering about stuff like that? Was there a memo I didn't get?

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not really. I just saw that it was the foundation of a dynasty, no other way to put it, and that just had me wondering about how many big league ballgames the dynasty's starting lineup had actually played, that's all. Anything wrong with that? We shouldn't be wondering about stuff like that? Was there a memo I didn't get?

No, there's not.

Doesn't seem too far fetced to me. You are essentially getting Kemp, Billingsly instead of Kershaw, and Broxton for Bedard, and LaRoche and Hu for Tejada. Because you taking on $35 mil. in salary in Pierre, they are giving you Hu instead of a lesser prospect and taking Payton off your hands. Pierre is an offensive upgrade to CPat and not that much of a defensive downgrade. He will be better than any internal options we have at CF next year and once we get a long term replacement there, we can eat some of his contract and trade him. It's only money.:002_sbiggrin:

Doesn't seem too far fetced to me. You are essentially getting Kemp, Billingsly instead of Kershaw, and Broxton for Bedard, and LaRoche and Hu for Tejada. Because you taking on $35 mil. in salary in Pierre, they are giving you Hu instead of a lesser prospect and taking Payton off your hands. Pierre is an offensive upgrade to CPat and not that much of a defensive downgrade. He will be better than any internal options we have at CF next year and once we get a long term replacement there, we can eat some of his contract and trade him. It's only money.:002_sbiggrin:

You're very optimistic. You thought Corey Patterson was bad with the OBP? Meet Juan Pierre.

I'll be happy to admit I'm wrong if neither Kemp nor Billingsley become superstars. But this trade would set us up so unbelievably well that it's kind of, well, hard to believe. But if it actually went down? Yeah. Dynasty.

One poster saying something that was clearly hyperbole doesn't negate the fact that getting a haul like this for Bedard and Tejada would set this team up with a huge stable of talent for the future.

Just because they haven't played a lot of games at the MLB level doesn't make their potential or talent any less great.

You're very optimistic. You thought Corey Patterson was bad with the OBP? Meet Juan Pierre.

Actually, Pierre's OBP is a respectable .348 lifetime. But, he doesn't have any pop, with a .377 slugging percentage.

I'm thinking that since he's 30 now, his skill will decline in the next few years, but who knows?

You're wrong actually, Pierre walks more and strikes out less. The problem is he has almost no power but he steals a lot of bases so he's not a bad option.

Juan Pierre's OBP

2003: .361

2004: .374

2005: .326

2006: .330

2007: .331

Corey Patterson's OBP:

2003: .329

2004 .320

2005 .254

2006 .314

2007: .304

Pierre is ok at getting on base and he's actually a better basestealer than Patterson. Where his problem lies is his lack of power. He'll still hit for a .290+ BA. He's the perfect #9 guy because he can get on base and steal bases and score runs with his speed for the guys who are hitting 1-3 in the lineup...

But his OBP is predicated on BA.

True, but it all counts in OBP.

I really don't want this guy, either. If we do acquire him, maybe we can throw in some cash and get him to a team that needs a center fielder, and maybe get a low level prospect, or a 4A reliever back.

Why? If you pull off a coup like this and get enough ML-ready or very close players to rebuild your whole lineup, you can afford to keep Roberts.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to keep roberts...like I said, he's a hard worker who is an excellent role model for the team and the community. I just question how much he's going to want to be around if we go full rebuilding mode.

Archived