Potential blockbuster with the Dodgers brewing

bigbird

The question the O's have to be trying to answer is can they get 5 players as good for Bedard and Tejada from two different teams without taking back a $36.5M contract for a player that is overpaid and is a defensive (throwing arm) liability.

I highly doubt they can do better than those 5 players, regardless of taking on a bad contract.

Another thing is this is just about the perfect combo of positions, a very good SP with great potential to replace Bedard, a SS to replace Tejada, a 3B to replace Mora, a LF to finally sure up that position, and a great young power arm to setup or close in the pen.

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This was on MLB.com,

Moments later, MacPhail debunked a recent report in the Washington Post that claimed Bedard has told team officials that he isn't interested in negotiating any further on a contract extension. While the Orioles and Bedard aren't currently in extension talks, MacPhail said that the door remains open and the topic could be revisited in the near future.

"That's not what the agent told me," MacPhail said of the report. "I did characterize the conversations as having cooled. I made some effort to phrase it in the right way, and things can heat up again. But there hasn't been a 'We're off' kind of thing."

I have absolutely no idea what to think.

There is nothing to think. It is all double speak. The Orioles dont have to trade Bedard so if they make it seem like they can keep him than that only increases his value.

I highly doubt they can do better than those 5 players, regardless of taking on a bad contract.

Another thing is this is just about the perfect combo of positions, a very good SP with great potential to replace Bedard, a SS to replace Tejada, a 3B to replace Mora, a LF to finally sure up that position, and a great young power arm to setup or close in the pen.

Exactly. This is a great combination of players we are getting back. We wouldnt get this anywhere else.

I wonder if the Orioles can use this to tighten the screws on the Angels. If it looks like they won't land M. Cabrerra and Tejada will be off the market with this trade, would they give up both Weaver and Wood for Tejada? Then the Orioles could lessen their demands from the Dodgers with just Bedard(say Kemp, Billingsley, and Laroche/Hu).

Wishful thinking, I know.

If so, I have found my new religion:

MacPhailism.

So much for finals studying tonight! I'm trying to temper my excitement, but if this deal somehow goes through, wow, what a move by AM to start really rebuilding for once!

btw, long time lurker on the board, but I think it's about time for me to join the party. Thanks for the info BB and Belkast, you guys keep these nights at the library interesting haha!

We currently have 37 players on the 40 man roster. Note: Quirroz's free agent signing tonight.

Tejada, Bedard, and Payton takes us down to 34 out of 40, but we are acquiring 7 players.

I wonder who would get booted. Hernandez or Fahey would probably get DFA'ed. Or maybe we would be lucky enough to trade Mora to Philly for next to nothing, just to get his space free on the roster.

So much for finals studying tonight! I'm trying to temper my excitement, but if this deal somehow goes through, wow, what a move by AM to start really rebuilding for once!

btw, long time lurker on the board, but I think it's about time for me to join the party. Thanks for the info BB and Belkast, you guys keep these nights at the library interesting haha!

Welcome to the Hangout!

That's a difficult trade to analyze. Part of me thinks there has to be another way to get four quality players for Bedard, but it's obvious the Dodgers are paying us to take Pierre off their hands.

We get three quality prospects/players (in Kemp, Hu and LaRoche) plus an emerging strong pitcher - though I'd be interested in Billingsley's road stats - and another bp arm but have to eat a horrible contract from Pierre. Part of me says that Pierre has some value and that only a portion of the $ due him is a waste while two or three good years from Kemp will cover that cost .... but wondering if we can "cover the cost" regarding a deal involving Bedard isn't really the ideal way to go, IMO.

AM and PA would be stepping out on a ledge together. PA stepping up and absorbing a horrible contract and AM dealing an ace pitcher and Miggy.

Maybe they can get 4 quality players for Bedard in another way, but very unlikely to include even one player on the level of Billingsley or Kemp, and if a guy like that is included, the 3rd and 4th players are unlikely to be as good as LaRoche, Hu, or Broxton.

If this is an offer, it's almost impossible to beat imo, who cares about Pierre, we're rebuilding, we don't need the extra money.

Here's his road stats from last year: 83.1 IP, 78 K's, 37 BB's, 9 hr's, 2.59 ERA.

His ERA was 3.55 on the road in 50.2 innings in 2006 on the road.

No. No. No.

Pierre is a terrible lead-off hitter. His OBP is like .330, and that's when he is hitting .310 or so.

If we get Pierre in this deal, which I'd be ok with as long as we got all these other guys, he HAS to bat 9th. No other option. Pierre is a 9 hitter.

Don't forget his 64 steals. Having him bat 9th, with Roberts lead off could be really, really nice. (of course, unless BRob is dealt)

We currently have 37 players on the 40 man roster. Note: Quirroz's free agent signing tonight.

Tejada, Bedard, and Payton takes us down to 34 out of 40, but we are acquiring 7 players.

I wonder who would get booted. Hernandez or Fahey would probably get DFA'ed. Or maybe we would be lucky enough to trade Mora to Philly for next to nothing, just to get his space free on the roster.

We would be acquiring six players from the Dodgers. Billingsley, Broxton, Laroche, Kemp, Hu, and Pierre

I found it interesting tonight watching Mets Hot Stove that their "expert" was Jim Duquette. If he was such an expert wouldn't he be employed with a major league team? He is a contributing member of the mess we are in and he gets to comment on what trade we should make? Something just not right!

Yeah I have to agree with this. THere are alot of potential cornerstones in that list. Not only are they the right positions but they have all the right attributes for those positions.

Kemp - Power hitter

Billingsley - Young power arm

Hu - Great defense

Laroche - Power hitter that can take walks

Broxton - Young power arm

This wuold be a dream come true for O's fans. Mix Weiters and Markakis for that bunch and that is quite a group.

Now if they managed to trade Brob for Pie and Epat

Dump Millar, Huff, and Mora for whatever

Then you look like this in the near future

C Weiters

1B Moore

2b Epat

SS Hu

3B Laroche

LF Kemp

CF Pie

RF Markakis

DH Reimold

Billingsley

Loewen

Guthrie

Dcab

Olson

Liz

Penn

Mccrory

Hoey

Walker

Bradford

Broxton

Now that is one heck of a rebuilding job! :002_sdrool: :002_sdrool: :002_sdrool: :002_sdrool:

We would be acquiring six players from the Dodgers. Billingsley, Broxton, Laroche, Kemp, Hu, and Pierre

My bad, I cant count. Well, I still hope they make space so we can add a reliever or two through Rule V.

Or maybe by that point, we will have been able to trade Mora and/or Millar and/or Huff.

Most of you all will think I am nuts, but these thoughts crossed my mind.

I am not so sure we should be dealing both our top chips (EB, Miggy) to the same team.

This deal looks good on paper. But, it (5 Dodger prospects) could be "fools gold".

What I mean by that:

Take a snapshot at any teams "hot prospects of the day" or top 10 prospect list at any given time (BP, BA, whatever source) in years past and tell me when/where a good percentage of them actually did pan out ?

Statistically, wouldn't our chances increase by handpicking a couple from two different organizations rather than a boatload from one team ? It is obvious that we are making the deal with the hope that all of these guys will pan out. But, that isn't realistic.

Just a thought. :o

Look at the major league stats of Billingsley, Kemp, and Broxton. Plus LaRoche and Hu are major league ready. This isn't really a fools gold situation, and we wouldn't need them all to pan out for this to work, even if the 3 current major leaguers just stay at their current level or close to it, and we get little to nothing from the other two, it's a good trade.

Archived