"Official" 2012 Wins Prediction Poll

TonySoprano

How many wins?  

191 members have voted

1. 1. How many wins?

I said 76-80 wins for two reasons. First I think the pitching is better than last year (have I said this before?). And I also think the Yankees and Sox take a step back (have I said this before?). Ever the optimist I think this is my lowest preseason win prediction in the past couple of years. Maybe this is the year they actually outperform.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Kind of, but it's not terrible if he's using pitcher wins as a proxy for overall team performance, not individual performance.
I expect the defense to be a little better, primarily becuase I think Reynolds is bound to improve at 3B and Andino will be better at 2B with more experience there. I think the offense will be better because we will get better production from 1B, 3B, DH and LF(we got.755 OPS, ,696, .638, and .734 repsectively last year) and about the same from the rest, with possible big improvements from C, CF. The pitching should be much better than last years.

• 5 months later...
I don't see much yet to indicate that they'll do more than 2-3 wins better than last year. We have a lot of question marks in the rotation which could go either way. I guess on the bright side, we shouldn't be giving about 50 innings to a guy with an ERA over 10. On offense, Jones, Hardy and Wieters had career years and Reynolds had his second best season ever, so hope for the best there, but a small downgrade may not be out of the question. Betemit v. Guerrero doesn't strike me as much of an upgrade, if any. Is this the first time in six years they get to 70 wins?
The answer is "yes," and I'll be the first one to admit I blew it big time with my prediction.

I think AJ has a career year and Wieters keeps improving. JJ sees a slight drop in his numbers except in games played. Reynolds sees an increase in BA, walks, and a drop in SO. And Chris Tillman and Brian Matusz rise to anchor the rotation taking us to 88 wins and a wildcard.

Aw, leave a guy alone, I can dream can't I?

Well, anchor the rotation was too strong for Tillman but at least I had him in there. And how about the 88 wins? That might be close.

I went with 71-75. Right now, I feel it will be on the low end of that range. I have to admit that the quiet bats this spring have me pretty nervous, even though I know that spring training isn't really that meaningful. The pitching will be better, maybe by a lot, but I'm worried now that the hitting may regress a bit.

I'm not wrong yet, but I hope to be proven wrong soon. The offense has regressed a bit, but the improved pitching, especially in high leverage situations, has overwhelmed that factor.

Straight Bet

3/6/2012 7:13 AM Even OVER 69.5 WINS 2012 BASEBALL REGULAR SEASON WINS - REGULAR SEASON WINS - BALTIMORE ORIOLES REGULAR SEASON WINS , MLB 4/6/2012 3:05 PM Risk 400 To win 400

I finally get to cash a over ticket on the O's wins :2yay-thumb:

ESPN

THE PICK

5th Place

Best-case scenario: Left-handers Brian Matusz and Zach Britton make major strides before the team is crushed under the weight of a powerful division. For the sixth straight year, Baltimore fails to win 70 games; for the 15th straight year, the team has a losing record. Yes, this is the best-case scenario.

ESPN

THE PICK

5th Place

Best-case scenario: Left-handers Brian Matusz and Zach Britton make major strides before the team is crushed under the weight of a powerful division. For the sixth straight year, Baltimore fails to win 70 games; for the 15th straight year, the team has a losing record. Yes, this is the best-case scenario.

This quote shows that ESPN really doesn't understand baseball very well. Failing to win 70 games is never the best case scenario.

This quote shows that ESPN really doesn't understand baseball very well. Failing to win 70 games is never the best case scenario.

They understand marketing and click throughs. If they said that the O's were a 70-ish win team with tails on the distribution curve that stretched to 55 and 85 wins they'd have lost 90% of their audience, and nobody would remember it in August. Saying crazy stuff often sells.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived