ORIOLES vs. YANKEES 4/09

OFFNY

I'm not an expert at this, but it looks like Nova's getting more leeway on the outside as far as balls and strikes go than Mausz, at least for lefties. Anyone? If I'm wrong, tell me I'm wrong.

It's probably a combination of Nova commanding his pitches better and the movement on his fastball.

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I disagree, you don't give up outs. Hardy and Markakis are two of the teams better hitters and both have gone deep already this year. Let them swing.

Sac bunting there slightly increases your odds of scoring one run but lowers your chances of scoring more then one in the inning.

It is still early in the game, do you really think the Yanks don't score again?

Nope. You gotta get runs regardless of whether you are getting one at a time. Nova is a a groundball pitcher and the next batter is Markakis. In this particular situation, Hardy is most likely going to either hit into a double play or strikeout, neither helps you.

What you said is the preverbial "sabr" approach at managing. It doesn't take into consideration who is on the mound, who is at the plate, and who is on deck. In this situation Hardy should have bunted.

In hindsight, I'd have taken the 1 run. One run an inning is 9 runs, which is way above average. Let him swing away in different situations, sure, but the risk of getting 0 runs outweighed the risk of getting 2+. IMHO. Oh well, it's pointless now. It could have gone the other way with one little mistake from Nova...

But you are not guaranteed the one run, heck you are not even guaranteed the sac works properly. I could see bunting with a pitcher or an Izturis up, but not Hardy.

Archived