Matusz Tonight

OFFNY

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He doesn't throw balls anymore. That's what's making him so effective. A huge strike percentage. He comes up there seeming almost angry with the aggressiveness of his pitch selection and tempo. It's like opposing batters are overwhelmed by how merciless he is... stand in the batter's box for a few seconds and Matusz throws you a strike. Good morning, good evening and goodnight. Wow.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

He doesn't throw balls anymore. That's what's making him so effective. A huge strike percentage. He comes up there seeming almost angry with the aggressiveness of his pitch selection and tempo. It's like opposing batters are overwhelmed by how merciless he is... stand in the batter's box for a few seconds and Matusz throws you a strike. Good morning, good evening and goodnight. Wow.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I know a lot of people seem to be discerning a change in Matusz's mind-set, but to my eye, it is more of a physical thing. He's not overthrowing, his delivery is much smoother, his fastball is down 1-2 mph but he has much better command and it has more life, his curve ball is much snappier. Just generally, his pitches are doing what he wants them to do. I don't feel Matusz was trying to nibble before; he simply wasn't putting the pitches where he wanted them, especially the fastballs that were getting away from him high and away, and a change-up he lost confidence in completely. To me, if he is more confident now, it is because the ball is doing what he wants it to do, not the other way around, and personally I think it has very little to do with him being used as a relief pitcher, although having the experience of being used in relief and having to be ready almost every day may have helped him to get into a rhythm that by now seems locked in.

Brian told me the last week that he's not doing anything differently mechanically, he just feels like he's more consistent and his command has come back. I agree with Frobby though, his curve ball looks much betters and he's certainly commanding his fastball better.

I know a lot of people seem to be discerning a change in Matusz's mind-set, but to my eye, it is more of a physical thing. He's not overthrowing, his delivery is much smoother, his fastball is down 1-2 mph but he has much better command and it has more life, his curve ball is much snappier. Just generally, his pitches are doing what he wants them to do. I don't feel Matusz was trying to nibble before; he simply wasn't putting the pitches where he po wanted them, especially the fastballs that were getting away from him high and away, and a change-up he lost confidence in completely. To me, if he is more confident now, it is because the ball is doing what he wants it to do, not the other way around, and personally I think it has very little to do with him being used as a relief pitcher, although having the experience of being used in relief and having to be ready almost every day may have helped him to get into a rhythm that by now seems locked in.

I'm posting from my phone as usual so I won't quote the others here our bold certain sections, but suffice to say I agree with Frobby. And a couple other points to Roy and dan O. First, BM is pitching out of the stretch and he in no way mimics Tillman in his delivery though it might look like that because Tillman's delivery is so compact. Jake is the one who is pitching from the wind up and adopted the same mechanics to shorten that part of his delivery. I noticed it right away when he came into the game vs the Yankees.

And after working with guys on scout teams and a baseball school out here I can tell you I've seen quite a lot of bad pitching. Guys with incredible talent but no idea how to harness it. Matusz looks like a different pitcher to me also, but for the reasons Frobby mentioned. He's more balanced, not falling off the mound not overthrowing and as was said with success comes confidence. Maybe he wanted people to think he was able to figure it out on his own.

BRIAN MATUSZ O(vs. DEVIL RAYS, 9/13)

IP:O 0.67

H:o. 0

R:O. 0

BB:. 0

SO:. 1

Pitches: 8 (6 Strikes, 2 Balls)

2012 ERA: 5.18 OO [sTARTER: 5.42] OO [RELIEVER: 2.45]

BRIAN MATUSZ' 10 RELIEF APPEARANCES IN 2012

Pitches: 90 (70 Strikes, 20 Balls)

BRIAN MATUSZ O(vs. ATHLETICS, 9/16)

IP:O 2

H:o. 0

R:O. 0

BB:. 0

SO:. 2

Pitches: 24 (18 Strikes, 6 Balls)

2012 ERA: 5.07 OO [sTARTER: 5.42] OO [RELIEVER: 1.93]

BRIAN MATUSZ' 11 RELIEF APPEARANCES IN 2012

Pitches: 114 (88 Strikes, 26 Balls)

I have really enjoyed watching Brian pitch. I tend to feel confident that he will get us through late inning stretches. With Britton struggling and Chen/Gonzales needing additional rest, do you start Brian in any of the upcoming games? I sort of feel like someone told him, "light it up as a reliever, and you might earn your way back to starter." What do you think?

I have really enjoyed watching Brian pitch. I tend to feel confident that he will get us through late inning stretches. With Britton struggling and Chen/Gonzales needing additional rest, do you start Brian in any of the upcoming games? I sort of feel like someone told him, "light it up as a reliever, and you might earn your way back to starter." What do you think?

NO WAY!

He's in a position he's excelling and the team needs him. You can't take him out of that.

Archived