Jones getting extension possibly???

mcneck

At some point you need to overspend. Look, the Orioles aren't attracting any top-tier Free Agents here. The last one we got was Tejada and that was because

a) we were "only" at six straight losing seasons at that point

b) there was hardly any secondary market for him

If Adam Jones were still on Seattle and he became a FA he would never consider signing here IMO. My philosophy has always been that if the Orioles are going to be taken seriously at a national level and have other players sign here, they need to show a willingness to win. Part of that is, unfortunately, retaining your own at a cost.

Nobody likes doling out $100 MM contracts but that's the nature of the business these days. If we let Adam Jones walk, we're basically back to square one and 3-4 years from now we will be talking about the need to trade the guys we got for Jones for more prospects.

How'd that work out with Roberts and Markakis?

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Better than it worked out for the MFYs when they got Pavano, or Knoblauch, or Texiera etc. etc.

That doesn't mean you stop trying. God, I wish the MFYs had the same bitter attitude you do.

You have to make informed decisions, sometimes they pan out, sometimes they don't-that is the human element of sports, you can't always expect a player to produce to his salary, just like sometimes players produce way above their salaries.

You have to roll with the punches and figure out ways to make your team better.

If Baltimore is angling to increase payroll over the next few years, I am probably fine with the amount. But the Orioles aren't going to compete, long term, by getting what they pay for. They need to lock up homegrown talent to team friendly deals, not deals that will "probably be worth it".

With Roberts, poorly, but he was too old to give that deal to. Markakis looked like a good deal at the time, and it still isn't an awful one, but his performance fell off at an unusual rate.

Jones is still just 26. If he hit free agency, he would be in high demand. I don't mind signing those kinds of guys. And we still don't know the deal specifics.

If Baltimore is angling to increase payroll over the next few years, I am probably fine with the amount. But the Orioles aren't going to compete, long term, by getting what they pay for. They need to lock up homegrown talent to team friendly deals, not deals that will "probably be worth it".

This is the basic point. You have to consider value in relation to resources. Lets hope Jones future value is closer to Matt Kemp than Torri Hunter.

For Markakis, I would say that it worked out pretty well overall.

For Roberts, he immediately had (arguably) his best offensive season by setting the all-time major league record for doubles in a season by a switch-hitter, and stealing 30 bases and scoring 110 runs. No one could have foreseen that he would have missed as much time as he did over the next 2 seasons with the herniated disc in his back (2010), and his concussion (2011).

It was a pro-active move at the time (January and February of 2009, respectively), and was viewed as a commitment by the Orioles' front office to try to win in the years to come by locking up 2 of their best and most consistent players. I don't think that there were many (if any) Oriole fans at that time that were bemoaning the signings as too extravagant.

I agree. We could have had him for much cheaper too. This is poor on several fronts. I'm a big fan, so I'll get over it, but why we would rush to get this done in the midst of the best start of his career (and an unsustainable start) is just mind boggling to me.

Archived