Jones getting extension possibly???

mcneck

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply
although very similar to his age 26 season; and Adam Jones at Age 26 has virtually identical numbers to Hunter at 27 (based on basically the same number of PA's). My point being, there's alot of people that have no issue with Hunters 5/90 contract he got from LA at age 31, but give a cheaper (based on annual value) contract to Adam Jones at a younger age, and all hell breaks loose.

Well, based on my experience here, I would say more people than not would have had issue giving Hunter 5/90 at age 31. If the point is we'd be better off giving similar money/extending a 26 year old Torri Hunter (i.e Jones in this case) than a 31 year old FA like Torri Hunter, then I certainly agree with that. If this is a signal PA is going to spend more money, then great, but if we're giving ridiculous money to Jones based on his questionable upside and staying within our same basic financial constraints, I think that could be problematic.

Well, based on my experience here, I would say more people than not would have had issue giving Hunter 5/90 at age 31. If the point is we'd be better off giving similar money/extending a 26 year old Torri Hunter (i.e Jones in this case) than a 31 year old FA like Torri Hunter, then I certainly agree with that. If this is a signal PA is going to spend more money, then great, but if we're giving ridiculous money to Jones based on his questionable upside and staying within our same basic financial constraints, I think that could be problematic.

This times a million. My thoughts pretty much exactly.

although very similar to his age 26 season; and Adam Jones at Age 26 has virtually identical numbers to Hunter at 27 (based on basically the same number of PA's). My point being, there's alot of people that have no issue with Hunters 5/90 contract he got from LA at age 31, but give a cheaper (based on annual value) contract to Adam Jones at a younger age, and all hell breaks loose.
Hunter hasn't come close to producing the 5/90 hes been paid by LAA. In his age 26-32 years he was worth about 65 M.

At some point you need to overspend. Look, the Orioles aren't attracting any top-tier Free Agents here. The last one we got was Tejada and that was because

a) we were "only" at six straight losing seasons at that point

b) there was hardly any secondary market for him

If Adam Jones were still on Seattle and he became a FA he would never consider signing here IMO. My philosophy has always been that if the Orioles are going to be taken seriously at a national level and have other players sign here, they need to show a willingness to win. Part of that is, unfortunately, retaining your own at a cost.

Nobody likes doling out $100 MM contracts but that's the nature of the business these days. If we let Adam Jones walk, we're basically back to square one and 3-4 years from now we will be talking about the need to trade the guys we got for Jones for more prospects.

Archived