Orioles 2012 Draft Tracker

Markakis was drafted in 2001 and 2002 by the Reds. The next year he was both a hitter and a LH pitcher with a 96 MPH fastball. In the Reds 2002 draft, he was listed as a pitcher, and they offered 1.5 million, and he turned it down. He signed with us for 1.85 million

Here are the 2003 draft signing bonuses. He was slightly more inexpensive than several around him, but not egregiously so. No one below #3 got more than 3 million. He got more than everybody below #12. He got more than twice as much as the #4 pick, and 100K less than Ian Stewart at #10.

Perhaps our definitions of "going cheap" differ, but this is not an example of mine.

My but you are argumentative this morning.

Nick went #7 and signed for less then the 8, 9, 10, 11, and 12 picks. He signed for the same as the #15 pick.

That is going cheap.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That he was a signabilty pick.

What relevance is it who has had the best career?

I do agree that PA has some history of going cheap with the draft(Chris Smith being an example) and Markakis was probably a signability pick-but isn't it remotely possible that the Orioles actually thought he was the best player available and because the perception was that other teams did not think the same-that is the reason why the Orioles were able to sign him cheaper than other picks around him? Sometimes a signability pick can also be the best player available in the opinion of one team's scouts. I realize that the Orioles said pretty much the same thing about Smith and Hobgood and most teams say this about signability picks, but I am just throwing out the possibility that maybe the Orioles just went cheap with Markakis because they could still get the BPA at the cheaper price.

What a ridiculously derailed thread!

Can those tracking the boxes of the Os signings and "savings" please keep those analysis up-to-date?

Is anyone aware of picks after the 10th round requiring more than $100k to sign besides Velasquez?

It would be nice to understand the "slot savings" needed from Gausman/Kline - which from afar appears to be in the $300k-$500k neighborhood.

What a ridiculously derailed thread!

Can those tracking the boxes of the Os signings and "savings" please keep those analysis up-to-date?

Is anyone aware of picks after the 10th round requiring more than $100k to sign besides Velasquez?

It would be nice to understand the "slot savings" needed from Gausman/Kline - which from afar appears to be in the $300k-$500k neighborhood.

We saved 100K on the 10th rounder. Velazquez wants 500k. We need about 300k savings from the rest.

Didn't the new collective bargaining rules state that any money saved by signing the top 10 players for less $$ is gone, and no longer available for the signees below #10?

There is a rule that states that a team couldn't punt a pick in the top 10 by not signing a talent and using that money elsewhere. If a pick doesn't sign, the team loses the recommended allowance for that pick from their draft budget.

Best guess on Gausman is that he would probably sign for slot today but O's are trying to save money on him. Unfortunately, they didn't have a pre-draft understanding like the Royals seem to have had with Zimmer. I could see the O's stringing this out and then signing him close to the deadline. I mentioned Kline might be a tough sign when we drafted him. I think this is the first sign that the O's will not be signing Gausman for way under slot.

Most of these early picks have saved their teams $200k or more against slot.

Again, trying to understand if we need to save $ for someone besides Velasquez. If no one else, then we probably need about $300k between Gausman and Kline - unless we can convince Velasquez to sign for $400k-$450k.

Archived