Is there any answer for Reynolds?

Gurgi

I don't think I'm going to post anymore, because you make all of the points that I would. I love Mark Reynolds. Not only because I think he's a good baseball player, but also because he's an interesting baseball player. There really has never been anyone quite like Mark Reynolds in the history of baseball. Throw in the defensive liability and third base and the offensive skills that don't quite fit at 1B or DH and there is a great drama to watch. I think you throw him at first and hope he gets that OPS over .850.

He's kind of a less misogynistic version of Dave Kingman. With a little better plate discipline.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think I'm going to post anymore, because you make all of the points that I would. I love Mark Reynolds. Not only because I think he's a good baseball player, but also because he's an interesting baseball player. There really has never been anyone quite like Mark Reynolds in the history of baseball. Throw in the defensive liability and third base and the offensive skills that don't quite fit at 1B or DH and there is a great drama to watch. I think you throw him at first and hope he gets that OPS over .850.

Please do, you just made one I hadn't made yet, and I can't agree more. It doesn't exactly help my arguing position to admit it, but it's true; I like Mark Reynolds as much for the fact that he's a good player as for the reasons you just said, and for the fact that when someone told him he struck out 223 times he said, "So what?" He also went to the same university as me...normally that's actually a bad thing in my book, as I know as well as anyone what a haven for wonderfully parochial frat-boys it is, but somehow I picture Mark Reynolds going through that place looking at them with the same kind of discreet, knowing smirk I only summoned up in my better moments. But maybe I'm projecting a bit too much...

Either way, as you said, Mark Reynolds is a really cool baseball player--and athlete in general, though my definition of cool probably differs from about 99% of the population.

He's kind of a less misogynistic version of Dave Kingman. With a little better plate discipline.

He's probably the best comparison, Dean Palmer is not bad either. There's always that EXCEPT in there, though. Reynolds is like Kingman, except he walks more. He's like Rob Deer, except he plays the infield. He strikes out more than, well, anyone in the history of the game. He's played four full seasons and he has the highest season strikeout total in history, the second highest, and the fourth highest. All four seasons are in the top 10 of all time. It is simply amazing to me that this guy is a productive major league baseball player doing it fairly differently than anyone else, ever.

It's compelling theater.

He's probably the best comparison, Dean Palmer is not bad either. There's always that EXCEPT in there, though. Reynolds is like Kingman, except he walks more. He's like Rob Deer, except he plays the infield. He strikes out more than, well, anyone in the history of the game. He's played four full seasons and he has the highest season strikeout total in history, the second highest, and the fourth highest. All four seasons are in the top 10 of all time. It is simply amazing to me that this guy is a productive major league baseball player doing it fairly differently than anyone else, ever.

It's compelling theater.

To some degree he has those records because he was productive enough even with those strikeouts. Dunn last season was on pace to break the strikeout record then his name stopped showing up in the lineup at the end of the season.

It is similar to when they say "You have to be pretty good to lose 20 games in a season."

To some degree he has those records because he was productive enough even with those strikeouts. Dunn last season was on pace to break the strikeout record then his name stopped showing up in the lineup at the end of the season.

It is similar to when they say "You have to be pretty good to lose 20 games in a season."

This is one of the "baseball truths" that I learned from my father when I was about 10 and which still sticks.

He also went to the same university as me...normally that's actually a bad thing in my book, as I know as well as anyone what a haven for wonderfully parochial frat-boys it is, but somehow I picture Mark Reynolds going through that place looking at them with the same kind of discreet, knowing smirk I only summoned up in my better moments. But maybe I'm projecting a bit too much...

As a Hokie, that's almost rep-worthy. It would be like me admitting that it's cool that there are actually cow pastures on campus in Blacksburg.

As a Hokie, that's almost rep-worthy. It would be like me admitting that it's cool that there are actually cow pastures on campus in Blacksburg.

I always wondered what smelled bad when I was there. I always just assumed it was the collective stench emanating from the overwhelming majority of men. ;)

As others have mentioned... yes, a lot. In fact, you could probably field a nice team of Hall of Famers who went from All Star to just about out of the league inside of a year. Johnny Bench had an .850-something OPS in '81, just a normal year for him. .620 on June 1, 1982. He bounced back a little, but was pretty much done, retired the next year. At 33 Boog Powell (no, not a HOFer) had a .901 OPS. On May 31st of his age-34 season he had a .601 and he was done. Mike Schmidt - .647 OPS on May 31st, 1988. He played ok the rest of that year, but was out of baseball early in '89.

It is much less common for a good player in mid-career to slump for a couple months and be truly done.

Yeah, of course. My point was more that every time someone slumps, there's a horde of people achingly ready to point out some specific observation that proves why they'll never hit again.

I don't know how to do a poll, because I am somewhat of a n00b (at least when it comes to starting threads).

Essentially, what do you guys think Mark Reynolds future is now that it looks like the 3B experiment is over? I'll give a few options here that I think are plausible.

A) DH him full time

B) 1B him full time

C) Use him at 1st, DH, perhaps OF, and even 3rd on occasion, sort of as a super utility but really trying to keep his bat in the lineup

D) Trade him for whatever we can get. Because he is not great in the field, he doesn't have much value.

My personal opinion is that his bat has value and I'd like to keep him in the lineup in the future. I wouldn't mind giving him a shot at 1st full time (I think he's been passable there).

I think he's a good bet to be over .800 every year he is healthy and his power and patience does enough to justify him filling a hole at 1st or DH even though it's not as ideal as him slotting into 3rd (sort of like a carlos pena).

Thoughts?

I don't know how to do a poll, because I am somewhat of a n00b (at least when it comes to starting threads).

Essentially, what do you guys think Mark Reynolds future is now that it looks like the 3B experiment is over? I'll give a few options here that I think are plausible.

A) DH him full time

B) 1B him full time

C) Use him at 1st, DH, perhaps OF, and even 3rd on occasion, sort of as a super utility but really trying to keep his bat in the lineup

D) Trade him for whatever we can get. Because he is not great in the field, he doesn't have much value.

My personal opinion is that his bat has value and I'd like to keep him in the lineup in the future. I wouldn't mind giving him a shot at 1st full time (I think he's been passable there).

I think he's a good bet to be over .800 every year he is healthy and his power and patience does enough to justify him filling a hole at 1st or DH even though it's not as ideal as him slotting into 3rd (sort of like a carlos pena).

Thoughts?

Daggum. Just remembered there is already that 9 page Reynolds thread. Perhaps if this was a poll, it could merit it's own thread? Feel free to merge!

I think he will prove to be a decent defensive 1B option.He looks very comfortable there. His bat has been and will be pretty consistent with career numbers. Although he seems to be making some adjustments and cutting down his swing on 2 strikes. This may lead to a slight improvement in OBP and BA. Whether we trade him or not depends on where we are in the standings after the ASB.

I think he will prove to be a decent defensive 1B option.He looks very comfortable there. His bat has been and will be pretty consistent with career numbers. Although he seems to be making some adjustments and cutting down his swing on 2 strikes. This may lead to a slight improvement in OBP and BA. Whether we trade him or not depends on where we are in the standings after the ASB.

His approach last night was really encouraging to me. And I remember last year guaranteeing that when he saw an off speed pitch, he was going to K. This year I have seen him murder quite a few curve balls.

His approach last night was really encouraging to me. And I remember last year guaranteeing that when he saw an off speed pitch, he was going to K. This year I have seen him murder quite a few curve balls.
Assuming he gets 500 PA for the season he is on pace for about 150 K's and 75 BB's. Big improvement so far IMO.

Assuming he gets 500 PA for the season he is on pace for about 150 K's and 75 BB's. Big improvement so far IMO.

I stated earlier that he seems to have left his all or nothing approach and is trying to make contact with two strikes. Perhaps, thats why his HR numbers are down and he's K'ing less. :scratchchinhmm:

Archived