Is there any answer for Reynolds?

Gurgi

I'm really liking him at 1B and Davis at DH. Just feels better.

I liked that a lot last year, too (Reynolds 44 games at first base). I was wondering why Buck didn't go with that sooner again this year.

Well, he's there now, so I'm happy. :)

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think that Davis is our 1Bman next year. I can't see the O's bringing back such a limited player as Reynolds for $10 mill or is it $11 mill a year. Seems like Davis should get regular work at 1B.

This. Reynolds isnt an Oriole next year no matter what happens.

I'm not so sure about this. Doesn't Reynolds have a strange contract situation where even if we decline his option, he's still under the Orioles control for a little longer? Not quite sure where I heard this, or how it works out. But I remember someone saying the Orioles could decline his option and then negotiate a new, temporary contract. Anyone have the specifics on this?

I personally hope he's back with the team next year.

I don't consider myself a detractor but I would not lose sleep if the Orioles moved him either. Given the choice between Davis or Reynolds long term at first base I am taking Davis. That being said for this season though I am OK with keeping Reynolds if they can't get value for him in a trade. Guess what I am saying is that if you can get something like a 3rd base men or a decent corner OF in a package that includes him I am guessing the Orioles would and should be open to it. Since he can DH and play a reasonable first base though I don't think you just move him for the sake of moving him this season at least.

Sent from my Thrive using Tapatalk

Back as what next season ? He can't play 3rd and I think Davis is a better option at first long term IMO. If Reynold is willing to DH then I guess you can do that but ultimately if he really has enough value to keep in that capacity then your likely able to get something else you need in a package that includes him.

Sent from my Thrive using Tapatalk

Despite only five homers Mark Reynolds is now at his career OPS. Regression wins, again, as always.

I wonder if any claim of a player being "done" after like two bad months has ever been right.

You want him starting at third on a regular basis?

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Reynolds finishes with an OPS north of .850 this year; he was well south of where he was now last year and finished at .806, and .850 is a little above his rookie year but well below his 3rd year production.

If Reynolds continues playing 1B like he is right now and hits to an .850+ OPS (~.370 wOBA, he's at .354 right now, his career high is .381) he may just be worth 11 mil for next year, although I'd be surprised if we couldn't come to an agreeement for a little less with him seeing as he's one of those guys that is chronically undervalued.

I'm not so sure about this. Doesn't Reynolds have a strange contract situation where even if we decline his option, he's still under the Orioles control for a little longer? Not quite sure where I heard this, or how it works out. But I remember someone saying the Orioles could decline his option and then negotiate a new, temporary contract. Anyone have the specifics on this?

Correct. It's very simple. He won't have six years of service time when this year is over, so if the Orioles decline the option, he's like any other player who is a year away from free agency. They can either agree on a contract or go to arbitration. Or, the O's could non-tender him rather than offering a contract that is at least 80% of this year's salary, which is required to retain him. What they do will depend on how the rest of Reynolds' season goes, but I'm pretty sure that they won't exercise Reynolds' option even if they decide to keep him.

Despite only five homers Mark Reynolds is now at his career OPS. Regression wins, again, as always.

I wonder if any claim of a player being "done" after like two bad months has ever been right.

Dunn was pretty done last year. He never regressed to the mean.

Dale Murphy was 31 with an OPS of 997 after being over 1000 the prior couple of years. He never again had an OPS over 750. I am sure when he was hitting .225 his age 32 season some said he was toast. He ended up at .226 They would have been right. Then again that fails to take into account the whole birthmark thing.

Jason Bey became awfully bad awfully quick. Dontrelle Willis fell off extremely quickly.

Three outcome guys like Reynolds can just fall off a cliff. And while his OPS looks pretty good right now, we can all agree that of he hits 15 homers this year he hasn't regressed to the mean.

Archived