Jim Hunter: Orioles Looking For Veteran Arm - Mentioned Chicago

Brendan25

Even if it meant getting Garza for much cheaper then market value.

Nope. I like Garza and would love to get him here if we can sign him long term. Soriano is 36 and is signed for 2 more seasons...meaning he'll be taking up a roster spot until he's 38.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every time this thread is bumped, I think to myself "hey, maybe something happened!" And every time...disappointment.

(made you look?)

I swear...trade-hypo threads hidden/masked by news-ish titles. Dangerous combinations.

EDIT: forgot a " / "

I'd certainly welcome Dempster to the team. I just wouldn't want to give up too much. Career 4.34 ERA, switching to the AL. Having a great year, though.

Agreed.

This is just my guess, but I think that if Buck were involved with these talks, I doubt he says to break open the bank to bring in a guy like Dempster. He knows the importance of the youth of this team.

You guys are completely underestimating Garza and the package it would take. In the offseason Theo asked for 2 of Banuelos/Betances/Montero. There is simply no way that the O's can put together a package that would be reasonable for both clubs. We all know Garza isn't worth giving up Bundy or Machado, but he's a worth a lot more than a package headed by Schoop. On top of that, the Cubs will almost definitely be looking for a power arm to headline any package for Garza since the Cubs have a lot of great position prospects and very little pitching worth getting excited about. Simply put, the O's and Cubs don't match up particularly well when it comes to a Garza trade. If Garza is going anywhere, my guess would be either the Blue Jays, with guys like Syndergaard/Nicolino involved or the Red Sox with guys like Matt Barnes involved.

Just for reference, last year Garza had a 5 WAR season, the 13th best WAR of any pitcher in baseball. That's ahead of Cole Hamels, Jams Shields, David Price, Tim Lincecum, Greinke, Lester etc. This year he was just as good until he had back to back bad outings where he gave up 7 to Houston and 5 to Pitt. Outside of those 2 games his starts have included 2 games with 0ER, 1 game with 1ER, 4 games with 2ER, 1 game with 3ER and 1 with 6ER. Outside of those 2 starts, he has a 2.82ERA. The guy has become a really really good pitcher since he completely changed his pitch selection last year.

I love Dan Duquette. The way things are going right now:

*Offense is on the uptick and can only get better when Kakes slots back in there (#6 in runs now at 278)

*Bullpen continues to be dominate and we have plenty of depth (Lindstrom coming back)

I think we are a quality starter away from an almost guaranteed winning record.

That would leave us with Hammel, Chen, *SP* as a consistent top 3, then allowing us to fill the final two spots with one of Matusz, Arrieta, Tillman, Britton, Hunter..

And I personally think Matusz continues to step up and give us 4 solid starters, *if we make a trade*

The earlier report was a brief comment on another site. Here's a more detailed comment from MLB Daily Dish;

The Baltimore Orioles and Toronto Blue Jays were scouting the Chicago Cubs this past week, reports Bruce Levine of ESPN Chicago.com. Baltimore was watching Cubs starting pitchers and outfielder Alfonso Soriano while Levine speculates the Blue Jays could be looking into a bundle deal that would include pitchers and hitters.

Cubs team president and general manager Theo Epstein and Jed Hoyer have told Levine that top prospect Anthony Rizzo is ready for the majors. Levine believes a Rizzo promotion would make Bryan LaHair and Soriano expendable.

The Cubs are reportedly open to eating a considerable amount of Soriano?s remaining salary to facilitate a trade and the veteran slugger has said he?s open to a deal. Levine still considers Soriano to be a productive run-producer who could thrive in the American League as a designated hitter. After his slow start the season, Soriano has posted OPSs of .944 in May and 1.103 in June.

The Orioles have been tied to starting pitching this season, as many believe they will need to add an established starter if they wish to keep their playoff hopes alive. Levine believes the Blue Jays could be interested in a package deal that would include a pitcher, such as veteran starters Ryan Dempster and Matt Garza, and a hitter, such as LaHair and Soriano.

MLB Daily Dish: the best and most reliable clearinghouse for MLB Trade Rumors from credible sources, covering every signing, transaction, and trade, with a heavy dose of analysis and fan reaction you can't get anywhere else. Enjoy!

Start posting on MLB Daily Dish

MLB Daily Dish on Facebook

Recent Posts

Cubs to Make "Quick Trade" with Ryan Dempster?

Archived