Orioles are "going hard" after Zack Greinke

Greg

"Well, Dylan Bundy was just named the top prospect in the minor leagues yesterday and Manny was identified as No. 9. They look like they could be long-term solutions for the Orioles," said Duquette.

So does that mean you are telling other teams they are not available?

"Like I said, they look to be long-term solutions to help the Orioles,"

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Kranitz aspect of this is very interesting to me. I think it works in our favor since he was here whenever the "cavalry" was so highly touted, and he actually saw them perform at a high level in the big leagues.

A 2014 rotation of Greinke, Bundy, Chen, Gausman, whoever would look pretty darn good.

But that has nothing to do with trading for him now. Unless you think he will fall in love with the city and want to stay.

I would love for the O's to go after him in the offseason.

Except, you know, that Greinke will be a FA this offseason.

And a deal like this would have a window of 48-72 hours to hammer out an extension. Especially since this club is so desperately in search of an Ace. Also, please be forewarned of everyone thinking the O's gave up too much for Greinke lmao

"Well, Dylan Bundy was just named the top prospect in the minor leagues yesterday and Manny was identified as No. 9. They look like they could be long-term solutions for the Orioles," said Duquette.

So does that mean you are telling other teams they are not available?

"Like I said, they look to be long-term solutions to help the Orioles,"

Looking at whom the Orioles have trotted out at second base this season sure makes Schoop look like a long-term solution as well.

But that has nothing to do with trading for him now. Unless you think he will fall in love with the city and want to stay.

I would love for the O's to go after him in the offseason.

It seems like guys are more likely to sign with a team that traded for them. I would think they have to have some kind of idea of what it would take to extend him if they make the trade.

Teams lost a lot of leverage in mid-season trades with draft pick compensation being void for traded players. The return for rentals will be a lot less than it used to be.

I can agree with you there. But idk Greinke is the top of the top, and while they have been playing horribly, 38-44 in the bad NL Central, they are not even close to out of it with a whole half-season still to play IMO.

Also this is the first midseason trade deadline with this new CBA, might mean that GMs will not pull the trigger on Blockbuster trades yet, because the feel for the market hasn't really been established

And a deal like this would have a window of 48-72 hours to hammer out an extension. Especially since this club is so desperately in search of an Ace. Also, please be forewarned of everyone thinking the O's gave up too much for Greinke lmao

If you are Greinke why would you sign an extension with Baltimore?

A 2014 rotation of Greinke, Bundy, Chen, Gausman, whoever would look pretty darn good.

Greinke could still be in our 2014 rotation even if we don't deal for him ....

Not eager for this unless Greinke signs an extension. Schoop could be our OD 2B next year.

If we work out an extension with Greinke as part of a deal, that's great, but I think it's highly unlikely. With that in mind, I'd look to pay something like what the Angels did for Mark Teixeira in 2008 (Casey Kotchman and Stephen Marek). I would be quite upset if the price was more like what the Braves paid for him in 2007 (think Britton, Avery, Schoop, Delmonico, and Clay Schrader).

Two months of an ace is great, but it's still just two months.

If we work out an extension with Greinke as part of a deal, that's great, but I think it's highly unlikely. With that in mind, I'd look to pay something like what the Angels did for Mark Teixeira in 2008 (Casey Kotchman and Stephen Marek). I would be quite upset if the price was more like what the Braves paid for him in 2007 (think Britton, Avery, Schoop, Delmonico, and Clay Schrader).

Two months of an ace is great, but it's still just two months.

Guys, you're not going to trade for a guy like Grienke for two months. Especially when you have pitching issues. He will be extended if he's dealt for. That type of thinking is like pissing in the ocean.

Archived