Pirates and Orioles "among the teams pushing hardest for Headley"

MrOrange82

Headley fits the team's needs to a "t". He fixes our defensive problem at 3B and makes us above average there. He improves the team OBP and would slot perfectly as the no. 2 hitter.

My guess is we can acquire a Schoop-level talent by trading Hardy when Machado is ready. Hardy's value is down right now but I'm confident it will be back up. Or, you put Machado at 2B for a spell.

I really like Schoop but I'd pull the trigger on a trade featuring Headley and Schoop so long as we didn't have to give up another top prospect.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tillman's a bit too much for me. Matusz is more like it.

This line perfectly encapsulates the insanity of baseball.

As for Headley: Still like him a lot, still wouldn't give up Schoop. Maybe Matsuz/Avery/Delmonico/Townsend. Something like that.

Headley fits the team's needs to a "t". He fixes our defensive problem at 3B and makes us above average there. He improves the team OBP and would slot perfectly as the no. 2 hitter.

My guess is we can acquire a Schoop-level talent by trading Hardy when Machado is ready. Hardy's value is down right now but I'm confident it will be back up. Or, you put Machado at 2B for a spell.

I really like Schoop but I'd pull the trigger on a trade featuring Headley and Schoop so long as we didn't have to give up another top prospect.

Would you trade Schoop for a year and a half of Hardy? No way I would. I think you are underestimating Schoop a bit here. To me there is a lot more value in 6-7 years of Schoop then there is in a season and a half of Hardy.

As for Headley: Still like him a lot, still wouldn't give up Schoop. Maybe Matsuz/Avery/Delmonico/Townsend. Something like that.

In an ideal world, this is the type of deal I'd do for Headley.

I think Avery is a nice "headliner." I'd rather trade him than Hoes because I value Hoes OBP more than Avery's speed. However, in a stadium like San Diego's, Avery's speed could have great value.

My upside prospect would be Delmonico. The guy can hit, but is pretty far away. Townsend is also a nice upside prospect for San Diego to take a flyer on.

My pitcher would be Matusz because he's from the area and I'd prefer getting rid of him rather than any of Britton/Arrieta/Tillman. Next on my list would be Arrieta.

If San Diego takes Avery, Arrieta/Matusz, Delmonico, Townsend, I'd definitely pull the trigger.

Would trade Schoop for a year and a half of Hardy? No way I would. I think you are underestimating Schoop a bit here. To me there is a lot more value in 6-7 years of Schoop then there is in a season and a half of Hardy.

Right. This is the same argument sane people in Seattle were making in the Bedard trade. They were right.

Would trade Schoop for a year and a half of Hardy? No way I would. I think you are underestimating Schoop a bit here. To me there is a lot more value in 6-7 years of Schoop then there is in a season and a half of Hardy.

Schoop could be a very good major leaguer, or he could be a bust. He had a .704 OPS at Frederick and is at .698 at Bowie. Yes, I know how young he is (one of the 4 youngest in the Eastern League, and almost 4 years below the median age of the league), and how hot he has been over the last month (10 homers since June 16). No doubt he has a lot of potential. But Josh Bell was the #37 prospect in baseball the year the Orioles acquired him for Sherrill. How'd that pan out? Sometimes, you have to go with the proven quantity over what's behind Door No. 2.

Believe me, I have mixed feelings. If the Orioles weren't in the race, I wouldn't be in favor of this deal. But the O's are in the race, and Headley is not a short-term acquisition. He's a piece that fits, both short term and longer term.

Schoop could be a very good major leaguer, or he could be a bust. He had a .704 OPS at Frederick and is at .698 at Bowie. Yes, I know how young he is (one of the 4 youngest in the Eastern League, and almost 4 years below the median age of the league), and how hot he has been over the last month (10 homers since June 16). No doubt he has a lot of potential. But Josh Bell was the #37 prospect in baseball the year the Orioles acquired him for Sherrill. How'd that pan out? Sometimes, you have to go with the proven quantity over what's behind Door No. 2.

Believe me, I have mixed feelings. If the Orioles weren't in the race, I wouldn't be in favor of this deal. But the O's are in the race, and Headley is not a short-term acquisition. He's a piece that fits, both short term and longer term.

I was addressing the second part of your post actually. The part where you thought Hardy could be flipped for a Schoop like prospect.

It is conceivable I could be talked into shipping Schoop off for Headley.

I resemble that remark!

I said that about Tillman for two reasons: (1) I think Peterson wasn't just blowing smoke when he talked about Tillman contributing this year and (2) His improvement really is visible.

I also suspect BS might want to trade Matusz in the way he might have wanted to trade Guthrie, albeit for different reasons.

The Headley deal is a good one regardless of if we're in the race or not, that's the only part of this post I disagree with. Otherwise, you're spot on.

Just to clarify - I think you mean that dealing Schoop is justified since we have a shot at making the playoffs this year. But if that chance didn't exist, you wouldn't be in favor of dealing Schoop?

I was addressing the second part of your post actually. The part where you thought Hardy could be flipped for a Schoop like prospect.

It is conceivable I could be talked into shipping Schoop off for Headley.

And my post was really addressing the Schoop side of the equation. I feel confident that Hardy's value will rise from here. If 1.3 years of Sherrill got us Bell + Johnson, 1.3 years of Hardy will get us a prospect along the lines of Schoop. There's always a team needing a solid shortstop.

Pads just signed Quentin to a 3yr deal - this signals the Padres are comfortable not moving Headley and any deal must make a lot of sense for the them, not just the best deal out there.

SO WRONG they wanna move him cause they can get a a lot for him. Plus they have a rookie ready to take his spot in James Darnell.

In an ideal world, this is the type of deal I'd do for Headley.

I think Avery is a nice "headliner." I'd rather trade him than Hoes because I value Hoes OBP more than Avery's speed. However, in a stadium like San Diego's, Avery's speed could have great value.

My upside prospect would be Delmonico. The guy can hit, but is pretty far away. Townsend is also a nice upside prospect for San Diego to take a flyer on.

My pitcher would be Matusz because he's from the area and I'd prefer getting rid of him rather than any of Britton/Arrieta/Tillman. Next on my list would be Arrieta.

If San Diego takes Avery, Arrieta/Matusz, Delmonico, Townsend, I'd definitely pull the trigger.

To me this is way to much to give up. Avery, Matusz and something else but I would not put Delmonico in this deal. Maybe another pitcher say a berken type type guy.

You think Headley can be had for Schoops and some lesser prospects? I would think he would require one of Matusz/Arrieta/Britton plus Schoop, and one of Avery/Hoes. Everything I've read indicates the Pads are asking for a ton.

Pads just signed Quentin to a 3yr deal - this signals the Padres are comfortable not moving Headley and any deal must make a lot of sense for the them, not just the best deal out there.

Disagree I think Headley is the deal they are going to make. They already have a replacement for him in house so if we want Headley we have to go strong after him with a smart deal that works for both sides.

Archived