Pirates and Orioles "among the teams pushing hardest for Headley"

MrOrange82

Petco is to suppression (91 overall PF and 90 HR PF) what Coors is to inflation (110 overall PF and 112 HR PF). In other words, both parks are far and away the worst/best contexts. It's reasonable to think that subtracting 81 games from those contexts will have a substantial impact on a player's numbers. [because any other park in baseball is going to be better/worse.] It's not enough to guarantee it, but quibbling about nuance is just that, quibbling.

Regardless, what you're buying is defense (great UZR but only a solid +/- the last two years) and a solid approach at the plate (12% walk rate). He needn't be more than a .750-.820 guy (his road OPS in his career is .815), and he'll still have a lot of value.

Yeah, agreed. I'd be worried more about a guy with very high splits in a home park (GB's on turf, HR's to a short fence etc) than I'd worry about a guy like Headley.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Any deal for Headley will start with Schoop since Machado/Bundy are off the table. San Diego will also ask for a pitcher (most likely Matusz/Britton).

Will you pay Matusz/Schoop for Headley?

I will not. I want Schoop staying put. I am fine trading one of Matusz or Arrietta, but at this point want to hang on to Britton and Tillman.

I wouldn't make the trade either, for much the same reason, and I also would have no problem trading Matusz. What I don't understand is what makes Headley such a hot commodity that we would have to give up a prime minor league prospect for him. Why does it have to start with Schoop? CH is good, and is probably a part of the puzzle, as they say, but he's not great. Nice OBP and stabilizes the defense, but little power.

The Padres seem to be asking too much, and three players is pushing it. Perhaps they can be bargained down. Maybe something like Matusz, Andino, and Caleb Joseph, if it has to be three.

I'm sure the Padres would like either Matusz or Arrieta as part of the deal because of their being from the area and still considered future winners on the mound. I would rather include Andino and maybe O'Day. We need to make this deal before we start our series with Tampa next week at home. I think some of the pitchers will breathe a litle easier if we can improve 3B.

Who says it's way out there?

I do. It's way out there to expect any infield prospect to be as good a hitter as Cano. Will someone do it? Sure. Will it be Schoop? Even though he's an excellent prospect, the odds that he's as good as Cano are very small.

I'm sure the Padres would like either Matusz or Arrieta as part of the deal because of their being from the area and still considered future winners on the mound. I would rather include Andino and maybe O'Day. We need to make this deal before we start our series with Tampa next week at home. I think some of the pitchers will breathe a litle easier if we can improve 3B.

Arrieta was born in Missouri and went to TCU. Do you mean Tillman?

I wouldn't make the trade either, for much the same reason, and I also would have no problem trading Matusz. What I don't understand is what makes Headley such a hot commodity that we would have to give up a prime minor league prospect for him. Why does it have to start with Schoop? CH is good, and is probably a part of the puzzle, as they say, but he's not great. Nice OBP and stabilizes the defense, but little power.

The Padres seem to be asking too much, and three players is pushing it. Perhaps they can be bargained down. Maybe something like Matusz, Andino, and Caleb Joseph, if it has to be three.

Chase Headley is a complete baseball player, unlike the abundance of 1-dimensional players that the orioles have. He doesn't do anything exceptionally well, but he does everything at an above average clip, plus he projects to do it a little better outside of san diego. Just because he plays 3B doesn't mean he needs to hit 30 HRs. I think he'll hit 15 a year as an oriole, and have above average everything. I look at Headley as adding another Nick Markakis to the team at a more important position.

Chase Headley is a complete baseball player, unlike the abundance of 1-dimensional players that the orioles have. He doesn't do anything exceptionally well, but he does everything at an above average clip, plus he projects to do it a little better outside of san diego. Just because he plays 3B doesn't mean he needs to hit 30 HRs. I think he'll hit 15 a year as an oriole, and have above average everything. I look at Headley as adding another Nick Markakis to the team at a more important position.

I'd say he'd hit closer to 20 not playing half his games in San Diego. He has 8 in the 1st half on the road & 3 at home. Actually if he were a Orioles he could very easily have 16 by now. Makes you think he could have a serious spike in Homers.

My only issue with Headley is that he is 28.

But love his OBP numbers this year (and last year) being around 360-370. Great power playing in San Diego, also. Good defense. Is he an elite player? Hell no. Is he an above average player? Absolutely.

I do like that he has 2 and a half years left before he's a free agent. That's very welcoming, and he's rather cheap. I'd trade Schoop+ for him.

But love his OBP numbers this year (and last year) being around 360-370. Great power playing in San Diego, also. Good defense. Is he an elite player? Hell no. Is he an above average player? Absolutely.

I do like that he has 2 and a half years left before he's a free agent. That's very welcoming, and he's rather cheap. I'd trade Schoop+ for him.

If he works hard in the off season, he might be able to cut his age down to 26 or 27. That'd mean he'd be coming right into his prime when we had him, meaning you might be even able to project a bit more of a boost than just switching out of the San Diego stadium.

Not sure what I'd be willing to give up, but it'd be substantial. Schoop plus Tillman, maybe.

I really like Headley as a player, I just don't see the sense in blocking 3B when we have Machado coming up. With the year Hardy having he's not going to be moveable w/ his contract and it would be unwise to do anyways considering his value is likely to rebound a good deal next year.

Hold on to Schoop, hold on to Tillman, hold on to Britton, Matusz, and Arrieta. This team is in good position long-term and is only going to make the playoffs if things break really, really right with our young pitching anyways. If we want to trade some mid-level prospects (what we have left of that type, anyhow), or someone like Avery for a rental SP which will give us a real shot at a playoff run, fine, but I just don't think it makes sense to sacrifice any of our future. Machado projects as a better player than Headley at the same position, and while the guy we are proposing to trade for Headley is no sure thing, his upside at 2B is much higher than Headley and more importantly, he fills a long-term need.

I think this team is in a lot better long-term position than people realize; we need to not panic and be stingy at this trade deadline. Go for buy-lows or don't go at all.

I really like Headley as a player, I just don't see the sense in blocking 3B when we have Machado coming up. With the year Hardy having he's not going to be moveable w/ his contract and it would be unwise to do anyways considering his value is likely to rebound a good deal next year.

Hold on to Schoop, hold on to Tillman, hold on to Britton, Matusz, and Arrieta. This team is in good position long-term and is only going to make the playoffs if things break really, really right with our young pitching anyways. If we want to trade some mid-level prospects (what we have left of that type, anyhow), or someone like Avery for a rental SP which will give us a real shot at a playoff run, fine, but I just don't think it makes sense to sacrifice any of our future. Machado projects as a better player than Headley at the same position, and while the guy we are proposing to trade for Headley is no sure thing, his upside at 2B is much higher than Headley and more importantly, he fills a long-term need.

I think this team is in a lot better long-term position than people realize; we need to not panic and be stingy at this trade deadline. Go for buy-lows or don't go at all.

The last thing the O's should be worried about is blocking a prospect. When is the last time a top prospect came up through the system and actually performed? There is a much better chance that Machado flops than Machado is a major league starter when the O's call him up.

I do. It's way out there to expect any infield prospect to be as good a hitter as Cano. Will someone do it? Sure. Will it be Schoop? Even though he's an excellent prospect, the odds that he's as good as Cano are very small.

Good for you. And I like Cano. He's at the top of the list for 2B today. I'd tend to agree. Probably. I'm not limiting Schoop just yet and I'm sure as hell not giving him up as part of a deal for Headley.

Archived