Pirates and Orioles "among the teams pushing hardest for Headley"

MrOrange82

I'm torn as to whether I'd give up Schoop to get a Headley deal done. In many respects, as some posters have mentioned, Headley's road numbers are what we'd ideally hope that Schoop could put up some day. So, why not increase the likelihood of actually seeing that production by just dealing for a finished product now? Unfortunately, things don't usually work that simply. The NL-to-AL transition can be hard for even the most talented players, and would we really want to give up Schoop+ for what could potentially end up being entire year of mixed/below-average (for Headley) performance (half of his remaining time)? The way the Orioles have been playing recently, the prospect of having two above-average-to-great infielders come up together with fairly long term cost control in place seems like the better modus operandi.

It's a hard decision for me, but I think I would part with Schoop. I mean we are getting assured talent here, while with Schoop, who knows.

What's Schoop's ceiling and is it that much higher than what Headley would give us now?

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we could get him w/o Schoop if we hold out until the deadline. We could offer Avery, one of Matusz/Arrieta and our draft pick. That would probably be too rich for him, IMO. I'd rather substitute Clayton Schrader for the draft pick.

I'm seriously against giving up Schoop. I know you need to trade talent to get talent, but Schoop should be off-limits for anything less than a real stud return (e.g., Grienke, maybe Upton). Headley would be a strong solution at a position of need, but Schoop already holds that title for 2B, IMO.

If the type of deal I outlined above doesn't get it done, I personally move on.

Let's say we got Headley. We have Thome at DH. Then have Davis mostly in LF... What we gonna do about Betemit and Reynolds at 1B? They are both starters most days...

We would finally be able to platoon Betemit the way he's supposed to be when he was picked up. Dude can not hit LHP at all

Let's say we got Headley. We have Thome at DH. Then have Davis mostly in LF... What we gonna do about Betemit and Reynolds at 1B? They are both starters most days...

They can find time with Kevin Gregg. Personally, I'd love to see Reynolds dealt to Colorado for Guthrie. I don't know how he'd getting any ABs, but his bat might be re-invigorated there.

Dude, have you not been paying attention? Chase Headley is the answer to all of our problems. We'd probably be a lock for the playoffs if we had him. He's the best third baseman since Brooks.

Let these people have their day, Scorpio. We could be on the verge of getting a cornerstone of the franchise.

You've seen the statues they're releasing this year of Orioles greats? They'll make one of Chase Headley someday. As soon as he gets out of Petco, he's a lock for the HoF. I just hope it happens in an Orioles uniform.

I know this was meant in good fun, but seriously, I think we're all just looking for a legitimate solution for our 3b woes. Headley is as good a solution, and more importantly, as viable, as anyone.

The debate is what you'd give up to get him. No one is expecting All star appearances and Hall of Fame votes. Just get me something that represents Melvin Mora circa 2006, 2007 and I'd be thrilled.

I think Schoop's ceiling isn't far off of what Headley is now. So, I'd take the chance Schoop won't pan out, like 90% of all other O's prospects, in an effort to get a sure thing. Even if the sure thing isn't "elite".

I don't think we should be trying to field the AL All Star team, but competence on defense sure would be nice.

I know this was meant in good fun, but seriously, I think we're all just looking for a legitimate solution for our 3b woes. Headley is as good a solution, and more importantly, as viable, as anyone.

The debate is what you'd give up to get him. No one is expecting All star appearances and Hall of Fame votes. Just get me something that represents Melvin Mora circa 2006, 2007 and I'd be thrilled.

I think Schoop's ceiling isn't far off of what Headley is now. So, I'd take the chance Schoop won't pan out, like 90% of all other O's prospects, in an effort to get a sure thing. Even if the sure thing isn't "elite".

I don't think we should be trying to field the AL All Star team, but competence on defense sure would be nice.

I know this is WAY out there, but ... Is there any chance that Schoop is Robinson Cano for the Orioles?

The Orioles are like Mr. Ed vs. Secretariat, Man o' War and Seabiscuit... and trading for Headley would be like feeding Mr. Ed some 5 Hour Energy beforehand.

Now, Headley would be under control for 3 more years I believe, and is a definite upgrade. I like him, but let's not pretend like he's going to be some savior who's going to catapult us into the postseason in 2012.

I wouldn't give up Schoop for Headley unless I believed that the Orioles will definitely be in contention at the end of the year. Since I don't believe that they will, I would be opposed to giving up Schoop. Hoes/Avery, Matusz/Arrieta and a lower level pitcher would be my top offer.

The Orioles are like Mr. Ed vs. Secretariat, Man o' War and Seabiscuit... and trading for Headley would be like feeding Mr. Ed some 5 Hour Energy beforehand.

Now, Headley would be under control for 3 more years I believe, and is a definite upgrade. I like him, but let's not pretend like he's going to be some savior who's going to catapult us into the postseason in 2012.

I could give a hang about the playoffs this year. I want to build a good team. He would be a significant upgrade at a position of need and as you stated, under control for a while. I would prefer not to give up Schoop but I would love to get the guy!

Agreed...but he could be part of the "core" for the next two seasons and would be a building block for that.

Again...I don't think I give up any of the "big three" for him, so I don't think he's coming anyway!

I could give a hang about the playoffs this year. I want to build a good team. He would be a significant upgrade at a position of need and as you stated, under control for a while. I would prefer not to give up Schoop but I would love to get the guy!

I can get down w/ this thinking... but I wouldn't trade Schoop.

I wouldn't give up Schoop for Headley unless I believed that the Orioles will definitely be in contention at the end of the year. Since I don't believe that they will, I would be opposed to giving up Schoop. Hoes/Avery, Matusz/Arrieta and a lower level pitcher would be my top offer.

What's your thought of potentially including Reimold in a deal? Teams like the potential there, health has held him back big time though. Do you think the Padres would be interested? Would we be giving up too much?

Archived