SD wanted Arrieta and 2 prospects for Headley

Greg

Yeah, I'm not as bullish. Maybe those three are a better bet to accumulate more WAR than Schoop but Schoop is probably the only one of the four who could potentially be an impact player.

Do you actually mean this? Or are you really saying "the one of the four who I think has a significant possibility of being an impact player." I'd still disagree, but less vehemently.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do you actually mean this? Or are you really saying "the one of the four who I think has a significant possibility of being an impact player." I'd still disagree, but less vehemently.

Yeah, you translated my abbreviated/rushed writing well. I would go back and edit it, but yeah: "the one of the four who I think has a significant possibility of being an impact player" is the meaning I would go for.

EDIT: It's too exclusionary to say neither Delmonico, Rodriguez, and Bridwell have a chance of being an impact player...hell, Ty Kelly could potentially be an impact player. But I wouldn't talk about impact player as a very likely ceiling for any of those three, whereas I would with Schoop.

I know LJ knows of this quote from Baseball Prospectus:

While left-hander Eduardo Rodriguez can't approach Bundy as a prospect, he's another name generating some buzz out of the Delmarva rotation. A 19-year-old Venezuelan, Rodriguez has been sitting at 89-92 mph with a quality curveball, and one scout explained that a different background might make him more well-known. "He has such an easy arm and a fluid, quick, clean delivery," he said. "He's got a chance to be pretty good, and if he were American and a senior in high school he'd be a first-round pick."

I know LJ knows of this quote from Baseball Prospectus:

Yeah. Obviously, we should be wearing of hanging too much on a single statement - though this is BP citing to a scout, and unlikely to be an outlier given how Goldstein does these things. He had Rodriguez in our top-12 last year, too. We should note that Rodriguez turned 19 in April, so he's a relatively young 19. A bit rocky in his last 10, but still solid.

If you believe in what Rick Peterson is doing than you have to believe that Jake Arrieta and Brian Matusz still have a future. The O's believe in Peterson so that is why they aren't selling low on two 25+ year olds with awful major league numbers.

I'm told Delmonico was not the only lower level, highish ceiling name being discussed. Parker Bridwell and Eduardo Rodriguez are also on the list, and SD may have been asking for all of them.

If that's the case there is no way you do that deal. I get we want a 3b who is competent but how much do you give up for a middle of the road guy who is not even all star calibur when you have Machado in the wings and Delmonico + Esposito in the system also. Just not worth giving up all that.

If that's the case there is no way you do that deal. I get we want a 3b who is competent but how much do you give up for a middle of the road guy who is not even all star calibur when you have Machado in the wings and Delmonico + Esposito in the system also. Just not worth giving up all that.

Steve...Headley isnt middle of the road ....Period

Trying to diminish him to make your argument doesnt work

But he isn't a middle of the road guy. And if you think we should only move C+ prospects if we're getting an all star back, then, well, uh. Won't happen.

But he isn't a middle of the road guy. And if you think we should only move C+ prospects if we're getting an all star back, then, well, uh. Won't happen.

You know Meow....All the other teams should be lining up to give us their good players for our Dreck.

All this fuss for a guy with a 3-year Average of runs 61 hits138 Hr 9 rbi 55 bb57 ko 121 sb13 ba 0.2701 obp 0.3449 slg 0.3875 not bad but not a guy you give three young good players for unless it puts you over the top this year. If it was Jake and two low level prospects with little hope to reach the majors then you make the deal. But to be up in arms about not making the trade for a guy that has not hit more than 12 Hr in any of six years in the majors at a position where you need power I am not upset with this decision.

All this fuss for a guy with a 3-year Average of runs 61 hits138 Hr 9 rbi 55 bb57 ko 121 sb13 ba 0.2701 obp 0.3449 slg 0.3875 not bad but not a guy you give three young good players for unless it puts you over the top this year. If it was Jake and two low level prospects with little hope to reach the majors then you make the deal. But to be up in arms about not making the trade for a guy that has not hit more than 12 Hr in any of six years in the majors at a position where you need power I am not upset with this decision.

Well, the idea is, of course, that it would put us further into the playoff conversation. But you need to adjust Headley's stats for the park he plays in before making those generalizations.

Archived