SD wanted Arrieta and 2 prospects for Headley

Greg

What, Arrieta, Delmonico, Bridwell and Rodriguez? Not sure how I feel about that.

I am. San Diego can go whiz up a rope. Scouts say Rodriguez will pitch in the majors if he doesn't get injured. We all know about how the Orioles feel about the other two.

SD would have to give up two Headleys before I even thought about this.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Question. For all those who think that the discussed trade of Jake + 3 prospects (who seem to all be in A ball) is too much to give up for Chase, be the GM. Rather then simply telling SD to pound sand, what would that package be worth to you? Is there something that could be added from SD side to make the trade worth it?

To me it seems pretty good to get a proven talent at a position of need (who based on his road splits would prob rank in the top 5 in 3B for MLB) and at the same time keep all three of our top prospects. But for those who think its too much to give up, I'm curious what would you want for that discussed package?

Question. For all those who think that the discussed trade of Jake + 3 prospects (who seem to all be in A ball) is too much to give up for Chase, be the GM. Rather then simply telling SD to pound sand, what would that package be worth to you?

I know other people like to discuss trade scenarios, but that's not really my taste. However, since I had the note above yours, and yours might be specifically referring to mine, here goes:

Arrieta/Matsuz (preferably the latter) + Hoes + some other guy to keep the Padres happy. Ryan Berry, maybe.

Headley's good, but he's not THAT good.

I know other people like to discuss trade scenarios, but that's not really my taste. However, since I had the note above yours, and yours might be specifically referring to mine, here goes:

Arrieta/Matsuz (preferably the latter) + Hoes + some other guy to keep the Padres happy. Ryan Berry, maybe.

Headley's good, but he's not THAT good.

I'm not replying to any specific post, I'm just curious. Based on the reports of what SD wants, what do we think we should get in return if Headley is not enough?

Bridwell has had a couple nice outings lately.

I see 18 IP with only 4 ERs, but 24 baserunners and an 8/8 bb/K ratio. I would want to see our internal scouting reports on Bridwell, but I would probably be amenable to Arrietta, Bridwell and Flaherty. I might be talked into a little more, but not eager to include DelMonico, EdRod or our supplemental 2013 pick. Certainly not Schoop.

I see 18 IP with only 4 ERs, but 24 baserunners and an 8/8 bb/K ratio. I would want to see our internal scouting reports on Bridwell, but I would probably be amenable to Arrietta, Bridwell and Flaherty. I might be talked into a little more, but not eager to include DelMonico, EdRod or our supplemental 2013 pick. Certainly not Schoop.

I doubt this would work but I would offer them Arrieta, Matusz, one of Hoes/Avery/Delmonico/Esposito/ etc... and maybe some C- prospect. I don't know if they are interested in Matusz but personally if his departure helps get Headley here...then bye bye. Doubt the Padres would bite on it though. :(

Arrieta, Schoop, Bridwell, Andres Aguilar for Headley.

Hate to say it again, but this is a fair deal both ways. It seems like a lot, but Arrieta and Schoop are the only two that might have as much of an impact on the club as Headley. We give up 2 "quality" players, a longer shot, and a moon shot for someone that has REAL value to this club. Hunter has had as much value to this club as Arrieta this year.

Let's not get caught up so much in what we are giving up as much as what we will gain. This trade is a great match both ways.

No it is not. Sorry but i just beleive it is too much for the O's to give up. IMO

Quickly name 5 non-1st rounders position players out of the Orioles system that has had a impact on our MLB roster in the last 10 years?

I'll expand to "made an impact on someone's MLB roster sometime in the last 10 years":

Willie Harris, 24th round, 1999

Brandon Fahey, 32nd round, 2000 and 12th round, 2002

Eli Whiteside, 6th round, 2001

Screech, 3rd round, 2004

Reimold, 2nd round, 2005

So the Orioles, who relied almost solely on the Rule 4 draft for impact talent for the last 15 years, got a grand total of maybe 5 WAR out of 2nd round+ position players over that period. Jerry Hairston in 1997 was probably the last decent position player they drafted after the first round. That's just amazing.

As a comp I looked at the Pirates. They got Ryan Doumit in the 2nd round of '99, Jose Bautista and Nate McClouth in '00, Chris Shelton '01, Nyjer Morgan in '02, Steve Pearce '05. So while that's been bad, and 2006-2010 were ugly, they got more out of that part of the draft than the O's.

How about Matusz for Pedro Alvarez? Both are once highly regarded. We have plenty of pitching prospects. If we could get Alvarz's head in the game maybe he could tap into the crazy talent he has. Alvarez has a monster stick a change of scenery could be just what he needs. I saw the bucs and jays traded lincoln for Snider. I would have happily traded Matusz for either. We could also try to expand the trade to include Corriea who I would much rather have then Blanton and his bloated face and contract!

How about Matusz for Pedro Alvarez? Both are once highly regarded. We have plenty of pitching prospects. If we could get Alvarz's head in the game maybe he could tap into the crazy talent he has. Alvarez has a monster stick a change of scenery could be just what he needs. I saw the bucs and jays traded lincoln for Snider. I would have happily traded Matusz for either. We could also try to expand the trade to include Corriea who I would much rather have then Blanton and his bloated face and contract!

Forget about it. Brian Matusz has almost zero value as a stand alone in any trade. He would have very little value as a throw in. Nobody wants him, the scouting folks are down on him, and his performance has reached a new level of suckitude. His stuff is meh, and his makeup is in question. We have no choice at this point but to have Peterson work with him and hope that he can make something of himself. I for one, am not holding my breathe.

I'll expand to "made an impact on someone's MLB roster sometime in the last 10 years":

Willie Harris, 24th round, 1999

Brandon Fahey, 32nd round, 2000 and 12th round, 2002

Eli Whiteside, 6th round, 2001

Screech, 3rd round, 2004

Reimold, 2nd round, 2005

So the Orioles, who relied almost solely on the Rule 4 draft for impact talent for the last 15 years, got a grand total of maybe 5 WAR out of 2nd round+ position players over that period. Jerry Hairston in 1997 was probably the last decent position player they drafted after the first round. That's just amazing.

As a comp I looked at the Pirates. They got Ryan Doumit in the 2nd round of '99, Jose Bautista and Nate McClouth in '00, Chris Shelton '01, Nyjer Morgan in '02, Steve Pearce '05. So while that's been bad, and 2006-2010 were ugly, they got more out of that part of the draft than the O's.

Thanks Drungo....My point is that everybody is panicking about giving up a couple of non 1st rounders. Odds are none of them will be solid MLB players ...even less chance of a star. Arrieta has the best chance of figuring it out. IMO unless he learns to keep the ball down he won't. Headley is a better player by far than the 3 guys we'd likely be sending.... They are sending us a good player for a chance!

In retrospect I'm betting that the same guys that said don't trade the Calvary a few years ago are the ones saying don't give up Schoop Delmonico etc...instead givem Matusz , Hoes (poor defender), And S Johnson.

Does anybody think SD will lower their demands and make a deal with the O 's today?

I think it's possible as hey are ready to move on from Headley. Really all we know are smatterings of speculation. Im happy to let it play out ... But DD needs to find a way to get it done.

Archived