SD wanted Arrieta and 2 prospects for Headley

Greg

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks Drungo....My point is that everybody is panicking about giving up a couple of non 1st rounders. Odds are none of them will be solid MLB players ...even less chance of a star. Arrieta has the best chance of figuring it out. IMO unless he learns to keep the ball down he won't. Headley is a better player by far than the 3 guys we'd likely be sending.... They are sending us a good player for a chance!

In retrospect I'm betting that the same guys that said don't trade the Calvary a few years ago are the ones saying don't give up Schoop Delmonico etc...instead givem Matusz , Hoes (poor defender), And S Johnson.

Actually, my takeaway is somewhat different. My thoughts are that the O's have been terrible at identifying non-first round position talent for a generation and that's a prime reason they haven't been any good. Basically punting on good later-round talent in pursuit of pretty decent major leaguers just exacerbates that problem. They need as many Delmonicos as they can find in the system, and only after you have a stockpile do you occasionally use one to obtain a Pence or a Pierre.

Brian Matusz almost certainly has more trade value than Pedro Alvarez.

Doubtful. Alvarez has at least proven he belongs on a ML roster. Matusz is a much bigger gamble. Alvarez is the Bucs biggest offensive threat next to McCutchen. They're not dealing him for a questionable starter who hasn't lived up to expectations.

Thanks Drungo....My point is that everybody is panicking about giving up a couple of non 1st rounders. Odds are none of them will be solid MLB players ...even less chance of a star.

This is a very generic comment. These prospects should not be given away for free.

Actually, my takeaway is somewhat different. My thoughts are that the O's have been terrible at identifying non-first round position talent for a generation and that's a prime reason they haven't been any good. Basically punting on good later-round talent in pursuit of pretty decent major leaguers just exacerbates that problem. They need as many Delmonicos as they can find in the system, and only after you have a stockpile do you occasionally use one to obtain a Pence or a Pierre.

I agree w the idea they need more of them, but Headley is not in the same category as Pierre or Pence or Thome or Blanton. For one, he's better; and two, he's not a rental.

I have to be honest, Joe Jordan was the best drafter we've had here in 25 years, and outside of Reimold, he produced nothing outside of the 1st round positionally, and I don't see any in the pipeline, w the possible exception of Delmonico. I'm not trying to sh-- on the kid either, but I think people should go look at his stats again. They hardly scream out future major leaguer, particularly as he hasn't even found a position yet. I wouldn't let him stand in the way of me and Headley- not to imply however that's all that is.

I'd take Arrietta, Delmonico, and Bridwell for Headley in a second and not look back. Wouldn't want to include both Delmonico and Schoop.

I'd probably be okay with that, but I love Delmonico, and like Arrieta more then Matusz.

I don't think Headley is going anywhere.

What exactly are the Padres doing? Keeping Headley and extending Street?

They also extended Quentin. And gave him no-trade protection.

Honestly, I'm curious about thier reasoning behind the Street, and slightly less perhaps, the Quentin, extensions. Doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to me from the outside.

Archived