Mark Reynolds OPS is .731...

EagleOriole

If you're going to drill way, way, way down into the noise and gig Reynolds for not contributing tenths of runs with productive outs you could do us all a favor and look up the numbers for the situations you claim he's killing the team and, as Frobby noted, see that he's doing better there than in so-called non-clutch situations.

I'd love to see when the vast majority of those "clutch" numbers were put up.

He was getting OB like crazy early in the season and lately, he's been flat out terrible.

Would love to see those numbers of ba w/ risp and k's w/ risp over the last 2 months because I bet those numbers are abysmal.

Face it, major league pitchers have found ways to get him to strikeout, over and over again, throughout his entire career.

This year, he just lacks the power to make up for that fact and his defense before moving to 1st was some of the worst I've ever seen. It's better now, but he's still a negative overall if you ask me.

And at the price we are paying there is zero chance he should be back next year.

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saying that pitchers have found a way to get him to strike out "over and over" is pretty misleading. He strikes out a lot, but he walks a lot. He has a high number of Ks and walks because he's a patient hitter. He sees 4.35 pitches per plate appearance, which is third most in baseball after Adam Dunn and Mike Napoli. And compared to those guys, well, Napoli has 2.8 AB per SO, Dunn has 2.39, and Reynolds has 2.69, so he fits right in there with other guys who see a lot of pitches.

I didn't see the cutoff play Reynolds made, but his diving grab of Johnson's bad throw in the 9th kept the Mariners from scoring a run and putting the tying run into scoring position. It was a tremendous play.

The guy is a hard worker and I'd love to see him have some success down the stretch, for his sake, the team's, and mine.

I didn't see the cutoff play Reynolds made, but his diving grab of Johnson's bad throw in the 9th kept the Mariners from scoring a run and putting the tying run into scoring position. It was a tremendous play.

The guy is a hard worker and I'd love to see him have some success down the stretch, for his sake, the team's, and mine.

The cutoff was the play of the game.

It really was. Jones, again, made a stupid decision to try to throw someone out at home when he had no chance. Reynolds made a very heads up play, cut it off, and quick threw to 2nd.

Jones did what he was supposed to do there. Mark Reynolds was late getting to where he needed to be.

I disagree. Jones had no chance at the plate and with a three run lead ,you try to keep the other runner from advancing.

Reynolds .OPS is now .701. Wieters is .715.

Exactly. Jones consistently tries to throw guys out when he has no chance. Teams know that, and will take the extra base. We got lucky that Reynolds cut it off this time.

Of course, Wieters defense is the exact opposite of Reynolds.

I disagree. Jones had no chance at the plate and with a three run lead ,you try to keep the other runner from advancing.

Buck even said so after the game that you can get an aggressive runner by hitting the cutoff man.

Are you suggesting that Adam should have just tossed it into second? I'm not going to completely disagree with that, but he didn't chuck it into home with no chance of it being cutoff either. He threw it low enough that it could be cutoff.

Exactly. Jones consistently tries to throw guys out when he has no chance. Teams know that, and will take the extra base. We got lucky that Reynolds cut it off this time.

Of course, Wieters defense is the exact opposite of Reynolds.

Jones usually chucks it too high that the cutoff man has no chance to get to it. As long as his throw is low enough that it can be cutoff, there is nothing wrong with what he did last night.

Yeah, but you can't really compare Reynolds' offense to Wieters or Hardy (.656) because they are plus defenders at difficult defensive positions. Frankly, all three need to step it up if the team is going to make a playoff run.

Archived