Mark Reynolds OPS is .731...

EagleOriole

Count me as a skeptic. I'm glad he had a good July but to me his track record is mediocre. I think there is a decent chance he gets called up in September no matter how he does in August, by the way. Whether he'll get many at bats is another story.

Being skeptical is good in Mahoney case, but if he can put up a 900 OPS for the last 40% for his first AAA season it merits an evaluation of what he might provide the O's. We have to remember he is play in a pitchers park. He may do better in Camden. We will not know until he is given the chance.

I don't think age will be a factor. Not whether the O's promoted a 28 year old rookie to the rotation.

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Being skeptical is good in Mahoney case, but if he can put up a 900 OPS for the last 40% for his first AAA season it merits an evaluation of what he might provide the O's. We have to remember he is play in a pitchers park. He may do better in Camden. We will not know until he is given the chance.

I don't think age will be a factor. Not whether the O's promoted a 28 year old rookie to the rotation.

OK. Let's see what he does in August. I seem to recall that he had a period of 4-6 weeks last year where he got red hot, then cooled back down. (Edit -- actually, the streak I was thinking of was in 2010.)

By the way, in the one game he started for the Orioles, I thought his batting stance was kind of odd. He had his hands almost directly under his chin, instead of further back towards his back shoulder. Pretty unusual and it seemed to me like it would be hard to generate much power from that hand position.

Of course age is a factor, it's always a factor. Being 25 before getting to AAA doesn't preclude him from being a major leaguer, but it puts him behind the curve. Especially when that season has resulted in a .715 OPS so far.

Reynolds has no place on a winning team. We got him for his power and it is gone. Really hope he is not around next year. Waste of a roster space, but then again there are quite a few spots on the roster that are being wasted.

I'll go ahead and call it.

Reynolds is about to go on a power tear this last 1/3 of the season and help keep us in the pennant race.

His OPS will be above .750

And if this is wrong, well, it won't be the first or last time.

I've been thinking this same thing for quite a while...and I'm not a believer. Prove me wrong, Mark!!!

I won't predict it, but it's probably one of our best hopes.

Not going to touch this one with a 10 foot pole either way. 0 for the rest of the season, 1.000+ OPS, and everything in between seem equally likely. If you're a betting man, stay far, far away from wagering on what Reynolds is going to do.

Not going to touch this one with a 10 foot pole either way. 0 for the rest of the season, 1.000+ OPS, and everything in between seem equally likely. If you're a betting man, stay far, far away from wagering on what Reynolds is going to do.

It may seem unlikey, but given our choices, I'll take Reynolds over Joe Mahoney.

I've been a betting man in the past and one of the things you learned to stay ahead is to not bet the "dues". That is, if you are betting on a team or on a particular outcome because that team is due your in trouble.

Somebody on this thread or another one referred to Reynolds' troubles going the other way. When I watch him hit thats what I see and he's not making an adjustment to the way pitchers are working him. Hopefully our manager makes an adjustment to the way he uses him.

I'll go ahead and call it.

Reynolds is about to go on a power tear this last 1/3 of the season and help keep us in the pennant race.

His OPS will be above .750

And if this is wrong, well, it won't be the first or last time.

It would be delicious if this prediction came true. I've been waiting for a power surge from Reynolds for almost two months, but it hasn't come. I don't buy the idea that it is because he lost weight. He is tied for second on the team for "no doubt" home runs, including a 442 foot bomb. And I haven't seen him hitting a lot of balls that die on the warning track. I think it's just been his swing.

Nice hit from Mark.

I still think that last year, Mark drives that pitch 400 feet. His power is nowhere near where it was last year. If he could do what he just did consistantly with pitches over the plate, we would forget about the lack of power. Problem is that he doesn't.

Nice hit from Mark.

I still think that last year, Mark drives that pitch 400 feet. His power is nowhere near where it was last year. If he could do what he just did consistantly with pitches over the plate, we would forget about the lack of power. Problem is that he doesn't.

I got the impression that they have been trying to level out his swing right now.

Archived