Was tonight's hoopla (eg Machado, Chen t-shirt) done only to usurp the Ravens game?

Enjoy Terror

Agreed with everyone who says it's purely a baseball move, but I'd like to add that I'm absolutely thrilled there's even a chance that the Orioles are the hottest sports topic in Baltimore on the day of the Ravens' first preseason game.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My argument is at least better than "No that's crazy".

You might think so, but you're wrong.

The Orioles have proven over the last 15 years that they don't care about drawing fans. They haven't put the product on the field, and they have enacted fan-unfriendly policies (such as day-of-game ticket surcharge). They have been inept at winning baseball games and in endearing themselves to a dwindling fan base.

I think it is crazy to think that they would make a sudden about-face to draw attention to a Thursday night game against the Royals when the Ravens happen to be playing a game that doesn't matter.

This. You don't call the kid up unless you think he helps you. Can't mess with a prospect just to sell some tickets. This is 100% a move to improve the team.

So you're saying that the Os have been planning this for 2 years? Interesting...

By the way, I really, really want one of those Chen T-shirts, but there's 0% chance I'm making the two-hour trek to Baltimore on a work/school night. I'll pay somebody for one.

I am going to the game tonight, Name your price.

I was going to make a similar post. That shirt is awesome, I'd gladly pay someone for one.

See Above.

Im going to try and go :) need to get it the wife into the idea...PM me your sizeand I'll see what I can do.

Clearly you have never gone to T-Shirt night, its one size only, XL... you know you can't discriminate against the fatso's....if you are of normal size.. it's a good blanket.

As for the subject ...Im hoping the Orioles wouldnt put Machado in a bad situation to compete with what amounts to a meaningless preseason game that amounts to nothing.

By the way, I really, really want one of those Chen T-shirts, but there's 0% chance I'm making the two-hour trek to Baltimore on a work/school night. I'll pay somebody for one.

I am going to the game tonight, Name your price.

I was going to make a similar post. That shirt is awesome, I'd gladly pay someone for one.

See Above.

Im going to try and go :) need to get it the wife into the idea...PM me your sizeand I'll see what I can do.

As for the subject ...Im hoping the Orioles wouldnt put Machado in a bad situation to compete with what amounts to a meaningless preseason game that amounts to nothing.

Clearly you have never gone to T-Shirt night, its one size only, XL... you know you can't discriminate against the fatso's....if you are of normal size.. it's a good blanket.

This is probably as good a post as any to put this comment.

This is how many conversations at work have gone today:

"You going to watch the game tonite?"

Me: "of course, can't wait to see Machado plus we're in a playoff hunt, I don't miss many games"

Awkward stare..."I meant the Ravens game"

Gonna take a little bit more than a shirt and a prospect...unfortunately.

So the alternate theory is that the only reason Manny Machado is being called 3 weeks before Sept call-ups is because he is going to provide the upgrade needed during a 5 game winning streak during playoff run at a position that he has played 2 times in his professional career (committing 1 error). His OPS in July was .711 but he is worthy of a call-up right now because of a hot 10 game hot stretch which has forced the front office's hand to start his arb clock three weeks early.

I simply don't think the concept that the timing of this promotion may have something to do with when traditionally the O's have become back page fodder is so out there.

To be clear, I do not think they would bring him up if they thought it would hurt his development, nor do I think they brought him up without believing he is ready. I don't think they sat there and said how can we increase attendance and keep interest up, oh I know lets bring up Machado. But if they were considering him to be a Sept call-up then and thought he is ready, then bringing him up on the Raven's 1st preseason game has a certain appeal.

Absurd,so they did this for the extra 1,000 or a little more people they get tonight. Now if they brought up Flacco's brother it might be another story. I guess with Tolleson hurt the O's thought they will bring up Machado for a few weeks. I thin people are talling about the O's because they are in a pennant race not because of Manny.

Archived