Was tonight's hoopla (eg Machado, Chen t-shirt) done only to usurp the Ravens game?

Enjoy Terror

You're putting words in my mouth. I didn't contend anywhere in my post that it was anything more than my opinion. I would contend that while a lot of people here are drinking the coolaid, the media response has been non-commital either way, at least from what I've seen. A blog from some guy on a fringe site really doesn't have me turning cartwheels, btw.

Either way, I still think it's an ill-advised and ill-timed move. I'd have been probably been okay if he got a cup of coffee in September in a typical year (with the O's far out of the race). But this is not a typical year, and it just doesn't make sense to me to bring up a 20 year old notable prospect who hasn't demonstrated superiority in the minors.

Fair enough. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but you did not say that it did not make sense to you, you simply said that it does not make sense.

And Grantland is far from a fringe site. Unless you consider ESPN a fringe site. It is as far from the fringe as possible.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fair enough. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but you did not say that it did not make sense to you, you simply said that it does not make sense.

And Grantland is far from a fringe site. Unless you consider ESPN a fringe site. It is as far from the fringe as possible.

Fangraphs agreed.

So the theory is that they brought up their top position prospect just to try and draw people away from a preseason football game? All they should have to do to get people to not watch preseason football is tell them there is a baseball game on. Hell...you could tell me that there was a replay of an uneventful, boring Orioles game from 5 years ago on, and I'd still watch it over preseason football.

that is just rediculuos to think they would do all that just because the Ravens have a pre-season game...away...and where starters only play like 1 quarter...the orioles game for me was a bigger game than the Ravens-Falcons even before they brought Machado up

I think the Orioles were doing all they could to garner as much attention as possible in a very crowded sports marketplace last night. The Ravens and the Olympics were both on against the O's and I give credit to the O's for fighting for every last butt in the seats and every set of eyeballs on tv they could get.

Archived