Was tonight's hoopla (eg Machado, Chen t-shirt) done only to usurp the Ravens game?

Enjoy Terror

Just curious what people think. Sure, we're still in a pennant race, but it seems like a lot of coincidence that they'd throw a T-shirt Tuesday on a Thursday and then bring up their ~best prospect the same night to pack out the stadium. I think the Orioles really want people to know that the Ravens aren't the only birds in town.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just curious what people think. Sure, we're still in a pennant race, but it seems like a lot of coincidence that they'd throw a T-shirt Tuesday on a Thursday and then bring up their ~best prospect the same night to pack out the stadium. I think the Orioles really want people to know that the Ravens aren't the only birds in town.

No question that Dan Duquette (who made this decision) would not have even considered these things. I am sure the 5k watt radio station will say otherwise. And yes, they will pack the yards anyway.

Not a chance. You don't makes PR moves in the middle of a pennant race. Especially if you are focused on taking steam away from a preseason game. Not a chance.

As I said in the Machado thread, maybe if we were 20 games under .500 right now I would be skeptical, but we're not. I love football, but it is an afterthought to me right now.

I don't think it is absurd at all.

That said, they wouldn't call him up if he wasn't hot and if the front office didn't believe he is ready.

Clearly it isn't the reason for bringing him up (I think he would have been up for Sept call ups) but I do think it could be the reason or at least played a role in the timing.

No it isn't.

It kinda is, but to play devil's advocate for a second, let's say it is. So what? God forbid the orioles send a little reminder to the ravens world that this team is in thick of a playoff race and is playing meaningful games during the last quarter of the season.

Even if they are trying to steal some press, so what?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

I hope a reporter isn't dumb enough to ask Buck this question. He might take a baseball bat to the poor guys head. :rolleyes:

Oh man, that would be interesting. I am going to go ahead and say that might go in the all-time top-10 of manager/coach meltdowns with Hal McRae throwing phones and John Chaney telling Calipari that he was going to kill him.

By the way, I really, really want one of those Chen T-shirts, but there's 0% chance I'm making the two-hour trek to Baltimore on a work/school night. I'll pay somebody for one.

I was going to make a similar post. That shirt is awesome, I'd gladly pay someone for one.

Archived