Clemens signs with Independent Team

MikeAD

Not that I care that much, but I think that the Astros would be making a mistake if they sign Clemens to make a start or two in September. They are obviously in a full blown rebuilding mode. Using a 50 year old pitcher just does not make much sense to me.

Not that I care that much, but I think that the Astros would be making a mistake if they sign Clemens to make a start or two in September. They are obviously in a full blown rebuilding mode. Using a 50 year old pitcher just does not make much sense to me.

It would be a pr stunt to boost attendance.

Is the idea really to make it to the majors so he his HOF eligibility will be delayed?

And if so, how does a 50 year old make it to the majors, especially with his recent years in the media.

MLB mostly treats indy leagues as not really being professional baseball. If you sign with an indy league team before the draft, they go right ahead and draft you and when you come to your senses and realize MLB is a monopoly and you eventually give in to The Man, you go straight to the team that drafted you. I think that MLB will treat this as though Clemens was sitting on his back porch eating pork BBQ.

Also, I just noticed that Clemens' career minor league ERA is 1.65, in 29 starts. That's pretty good...

I saw clips of Clemens' first outing for the Skeeters. Let's just say he's not in top-notch playing shape.

...Now let's be more specific and say that he's gotten faaaaaat.

Well, fat + steroids = Colon so maybe he can be effective until he's caught? ;)

The Skeeters postponed an appearance by Ted Batchelor, "Human Fireball" for Clemens' debut. I disagree with that decision.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pL_-1AqVdaY?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Well, "Human Fireball" plus Clemens equals two human fireballs. Burn like a candle....

Archived