Developing situation with Mountcastle?

wildcard

In 2023 Mountcastle had a 1.052 OPS vs lefties but a 640 OPS vs righties.    

So far in  2024 he has a 958 OPS vs lefties and a 711 OPS vs righties.   It's so early in the season that if  Mounty goes 4 for 4 vs a righty things could look different.     But its worth watching.

If the O's need to platoon O'Hearn and Mountcastle  at 1B that opens at bats at DH for  Kjerstad or Mayo.

Too soon to know where this is headed but not too soon to consider.

5 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

It's a bit soon to consider benching Mountcastle against RHP when his OPS is .711. Maybe you give Mountcastle the occasional rest day against tougher RHP starter, but I'd wait to see where is splits are in another month.

I agree.  O's need to see if its just 125 at bats into the season or if its 607 PA starting in 2023.

Just now, Osornot said:

clickbait? 😄

No if I drew a conclusion from 125 at bats it would be jump to conclusions.  Instead its a developing situation that we should be aware of.

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

LMAO with the thread title @wildcard I read it and was like holy ****, he's got a DUI or something and he's gonna have to miss some time for something he did off the field, this ain't good.

And then I saw who authored it and started laughing before I opened it.  Sure enough...

• Haha 1

I do think it's worth tracking to see if Mountcastle continues to struggle against righties. O'Hearn has been killing it and could play 1B, though he is a bit a downgrade defensively from Mountcastle, which has to be taken into consideration. 

I'd like to see Kjerstad get more at bats to see how he does with regular at bats, but the Orioles are going to have to be willing to take Mountcastle, O'Hearn, Santander, Mullins and Cowser out on occasion to make it happen. 

But if Mountcastle starts to really struggle again against righties, then it makes sense to concsider benching him more often against righties and sliding Kjerstad into that DH role.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Dude, I'm like the third person you've given a heart attack with the thread title (moderator edit).  As if something couldn't happen off the field that's more serious than baseball with one of the Orioles and it wouldn't be discussed here.

Totally agree. The thread title should be changed. Its very misleading

• Upvote 1

Just now, casadeozo said:

Totally agree. The thread title should be changed. Its very misleading

Why, the developing situation is that Mountcastle is starting to struggle against righties again. If you guys read something into it before clicking, that's on you, not @wildcard.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Why, the developing situation is that Mountcastle is starting to struggle against righties again. If you guys read something into it before clicking, that's on you, not @wildcard.

if that was a headline on ESPN or similar it would 100% be about a legal situation.

Just adding "vs righties" to the end of the thread title makes all the difference.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, wildcard said:

No if I drew a conclusion from 125 at bats it would be jump to conclusions.  Instead its a developing situation that we should be aware of.

I know