Why are the Orioles games not sold out right now?

Diehard_O's_Fan

I'll be there Wednesday and next Thursday. 10K is a terrible number, and you have to think that's probably the number of season ticket holders. That said, and it's been said ad nauseum - it's going to take a while for the casual fan to come back. It's been a decade and a half since this team was anywhere close to relevant. And you're simply not going to get a huge walk-up on a random Monday night against the White Sox, especially when this was the first day of school for much of this region. As has been also said, attendance is up over 20% - I'm not sure how much more we should expect.

I don't know what we should expect either. I do know that there is no excuse for 10,000 attending a game that matters in late August. Now is the time for all good fans to get their @sses in the seats.

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Said this in another thread, but there are countless sections in Arlington with nobody in them.

It's not 1997 anymore. HDTV and the economy are to blame for some of this, the losing also to blame.

I'll try to go tomorrow and I've been to close to 15 games this year, so I'm doing my part.

I do see that the Pirates only have 16k tonight, however, which is also pretty weak. They are also playing the Cardinals, who probably have the second biggest fan base in the NL and have a fan base that tends to take over opposing stadiums.

The weather in Pittsburgh is terrible tonight.

I've been to close to 15 games this year and I'll probably end up going tomorrow.

I'll say it again...the Texas Rangers, looking at trying to win their third straight AL pennant, have countless empty sections at their ballpark every night.

I've been to about 15 and I'll be there tomorrow. Let's go, BoB (Birds of Baltimore) ;) )!!!!

I don't know what we should expect either. I do know that there is no excuse for 10,000 attending a game that matters in late August. Now is the time for all good fans to get their @sses in the seats.

I don't disagree. But maybe 10K is about all the "good" fans this team has left that are willing to go out on a Monday night in late August against the White Sox. This isn't even the Rays, who have been competitive for 5 years now and have worse attendance than we do. This is the Orioles, who have been one of the worst teams in baseball for 15 years. It sucks for the current players to have to pay for the sins of the past, but this is not a huge surprise to me.

I'm going tomorrow, I hope I won't be the only one.

The Chicago radio announcers were making remarks about the small crowd. Funny thing is that we are averaging more fans per game this year than the White Sox. That said, I hope we can get some more fans out there for the next three games. I know school is back in session, but it's still a pathetic number. It will take some time to reacquaint area residents with Orioles baseball again, but I also think the team does a poor marketing job. Yes, the Orioles Dugout deal is good but there are lots of other ways you can boost attendance. It just doesn't seem like ownership is interested in bringing more fans to the game. I would be embarrassed if I were the owner to be drawing 10K during a run for the playoffs and I would instruct the marketing team to come up with creative ways to get people to come out.

Today was the first day of school in Maryland, all districts. This is the first time in years the orioles have had a home game on THE first day of school. If you loom at the numbers you see the home attendance numbers take a dive during this week.

Monday.

First day if school.

White Sox.

It stinks, its embarrassing, but there is an explanation.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

I usually defend O's fans, but 10k is pretty pathetic. I honestly don't know if we will sell out a playoff game this year.

I really think the 14 years of losing has killed the fan base. People just are not used to caring. I'm not sure why it is different in Pittsburgh this year, but they are pretty consistently selling out their stadium on the weekends and doing better during the week than the O's. It's strange because we have pretty much killed the Pirates in attendance every year since the late 70s. So it's not like Pittsburgh is more of a baseball town - not by any stretch.

I think people just really, really don't like Angelos and refuse to support him, honestly.

The Pirates had a solid year last year to whet the appetite of fans. I bet O's ticket sales after this season increase by a nice margin. It's a gradual thing. You can't fix a damaged relationship in six months.

Archived