Why are the Orioles games not sold out right now?

Diehard_O's_Fan

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But the passion for the Ravens was not nearly as high when they first arrived as it is now. I have no doubt that many have taken money they would've spent on the Orioles and instead chose to spend it on the Ravens.

I do ultimately agree with you that the losing is the most important thing.

Regarding ticket prices, as much as I loathe the premium pricing and game-day surcharge (er, excuse me, actual price of the ticket :rolleyes:), the prices are really very reasonable in this day and age. We'll see how long that lasts if the team shows improvement and attendance growth.

Absolutely true. I know at least one former O's season ticket holder who decided to redirect his money to Ravens PSL's when the NFL came to town. I think it's a larger quantity then some might think.

But the passion for the Ravens was not nearly as high when they first arrived as it is now. I have no doubt that many have taken money they would've spent on the Orioles and instead chose to spend it on the Ravens.

I do ultimately agree with you that the losing is the most important thing.

Regarding ticket prices, as much as I loathe the premium pricing and game-day surcharge (er, excuse me, actual price of the ticket :rolleyes:), the prices are really very reasonable in this day and age. We'll see how long that lasts if the team shows improvement and attendance growth.

I don't agree with this one bit. For one, the PSL + Ravens Season Tickets are ridiculously expensive. You can get O's season tickets for fractions of the price of the the PSL/RST.

From 1997-2003 attendance was on the decline:

1997: 45,816 per game

1998: 45,490 per game

1999: 42,385 per game

2000: 40,704 per game

2001: 38,686 per game

2002: 33,117 per game

2003: 30,303 per game

....that's what losing will do to you.

What happened in 2004 when they were freaking awesome for the better part of a season?

33,877 per game. And Increase of 3,500 per game. Short term success begets a rise in fans in the seats.

They've proceeded to stink since 2004 and have seen attendance drop all the way down to 21,672 per game as of 2011.

It's 2012 and we're up to 25,362 per game. The highest since 2007 when they had 26,726 per game.

I can guarantee that if this team stays in the hunt into September, we may be in the 26k-27k range per game.

They'll come back. I don't think the Ravens play (much) a part in it.

Bottom line, attendance is up, and it is likely that it will be the biggest increase in per-game attendance that the O's have had since moving into OPACY.
Well, the bar for that isn't set really high is it? If attendance went up by one, count 'em, one single fan per game that would be better than the O's had in 1998-2003, 2005, 2006, 2008-2010, in other words 11 of the past 14 years attendance dropped.

2011 attendance went up 277 fans more game, and in 2007 the increase was 144. After a free agent "splash" of sorts after 2003 (Tejada, Palmeiro, Lopez), attendance went up 3,534 per game. Therefore, if I raise the bar to a puny 300 extra fans per game, the Orioles failed to get there in 13 of the past 14 years.

Attendance was near capacity from 1992-1997, so there wasn't a lot of green seats that still needed to be filled. The range in those years was between 43,034 and 46,097. This year we're talking about a leap from 21,672 to 25,362. 2012 still represents a 41.1% drop from 2005 (43,034)

Well, the bar for that isn't set really high is it? If attendance went up by one, count 'em, one single fan per game that would be better than the O's had in 1998-2003, 2005, 2006, 2008-2010, in other words 11 of the past 14 years attendance dropped.

2011 attendance went up 277 fans more game, and in 2007 the increase was 144. After a free agent "splash" of sorts after 2003 (Tejada, Palmeiro, Lopez), attendance went up 3,534 per game. Therefore, if I raise the bar to a puny 300 extra fans per game, the Orioles failed to get there in 13 of the past 14 years.

Attendance was near capacity from 1992-1997, so there wasn't a lot of green seats that still needed to be filled. The range in those years was between 43,034 and 46,097. This year we're talking about a leap from 21,672 to 25,362. 2012 still represents a 41.1% drop from 2005 (43,034)

To me, your post just highlights that the loss of attendance at OPACY didn't happen overnight, which means we shouldn't expect to get it all back at once, either. Truthfully, I am a little disappointed that the O's haven't done somewhat better. But the biggest increase I would have expected for the full season would have been about 500,000. Right now I am guesstimating they will end the season up 350,000.

To me, your post just highlights that the loss of attendance at OPACY didn't happen overnight, which means we shouldn't expect to get it all back at once, either. Truthfully, I am a little disappointed that the O's haven't done somewhat better. But the biggest increase I would have expected for the full season would have been about 500,000. Right now I am guesstimating they will end the season up 350,000.
For a while I've been guessing between 2 - 2.1 million so 350,000 is close, in the right ballpark. With the Red Sox firesale, one could have figured lower attendance the last weekend, but I think the Brooks tribute (I'll be there) and the Hardy bobblehead the next day will keep the turnstiles spinning.

For a while I've been guessing between 2 - 2.1 million so 350,000 is close, in the right ballpark. With the Red Sox firesale, one could have figured lower attendance the last weekend, but I think the Brooks tribute (I'll be there) and the Hardy bobblehead the next day will keep the turnstiles spinning.

Count me in on both of those games, plus Sept. 6th. I'm also going this coming Thurs. I've never been to a "businessman's special" game before. So, I'm taking the day off and I'm going to thoroughly enjoy watching the O's play a day game. I'm trying to do my part to attend more games this year. It's a great feeling to know they're in it to win it. :thumbsup1:

Go O's :boogie:

Count me in on both of those games, plus Sept. 6th. I'm also going this coming Thurs. I've never been to a "businessman's special" game before. So, I'm taking the day off and I'm going to thoroughly enjoy watching the O's play a day game. I'm trying to do my part to attend more games this year. It's a great feeling to know they're in it to win it. :thumbsup1:

Go O's :boogie:

I'll be there for all 3 games against the Red Sox.

When I had more money, I used to go to 12-15 games a year at OPACY.

I love seeing the Orioles at home games, regardless of where they are in the standings.

It isn't that simple. Attendance has been effected by:

1-The Nationals

2-The Ravens

3-The economy

If I had to estimate, I'd say:

14 years of Losing 75%

The economy 10%

The Nats 10%

The Ravens 5%

That might be generous to the last three factors. The 14 years of losing is the overwhelming reason.

If I had to estimate, I'd say:

14 years of Losing 75%

The economy 10%

The Nats 10%

The Ravens 5%

That might be generous to the last three factors. The 14 years of losing is the overwhelming reason.

I am obviously not local but my gut feeling is you are overestimating the losing. Most attendance is season ticket driven correct? I can see where the Ravens (families have to choose), the Nats (DC business money moved to DC) and the economy will all hit season ticket plans sales more then single game sales.

I would say your numbers look good for season game/walkup sales.

Archived