Bobby V Appreciation Thread

Goober Noodles

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Weeeelll, Jose Cruz Jr. doesn't think so. He said the Orioles are going to win the division, because of their "hot pitching".. Though that was kind of bold for an ESPN analyst. I also thought Buck's response to Valentine's remarks was pretty tentative. I would have expected a few cheap shots, at least :angryfire:

Jose Cruz Jr. doesn't know his place at ESPN and was taken behind the studios and beaten until he said that only the Sox or Yankees can win the AL East.

Ya know what? Back in the 80's and 90's there were two teams that I couldn't STAND... both the teams and fans:

NY Yankees and the Dallas Cowboys.

I never thought I could possible loathe any other organization/fan base than either of them. But in the last Decade, I have grown to hate the Red Sox and their ridiculous bandwagon pink-hat nation more than any team. Hearing Bobby Valentine layout the O's... kicking them despite the fact that they've had a rough 14 year stretch... makes me hate them even more.

I'm looking forward to the coming week or two of baseball... just because it will be exciting. But, now, I can't WAIT for the O's to pound the remaining gasps of air out of the 2012 Red Sox at the end of the season.

Words of "wisdom" from Bobbby V on 6/15/2010:

When asked about whether he'd be willing to take a managerial position where it might be difficult to win, Valentine said: "It's a big challenge. I like big challenges, but I like to have some reward too, and the reward is in the standings and their standings don't look like they're going to turn around very quickly."

Right, sir. The standings would not have changed had you been hired as the next Orioles manager. Fortunately for us, a true baseball mind in Buck Showalter was brought in to handle this challenge - one that you were scared of. Looking back now, I'm glad that you were scared off. How's that 20-2 blowout taste for a reward? Thanks for leading the Red Sox to a losing record instead of leading to the Orioles to their 15th consecutive losing season under your "leadership." You certainly managed to turn the Red Sox standings around, congrats! I just wonder if the Red Sox will turn you around toward Bristol, CT this offseason where you can reassume your duties with ESPN in time for the 2012 playoffs, and lament the success of the "lucky" Orioles while the Red Sox look for a new manager after their 90+ loss season.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/2010/06/valentine_1.html

All I can do is laugh at this clown.

Everyone questioned Duquette for being out of the game for 10 years, but no one questioned Bobby. Look who's out of touch now!

I agree with the clown part, and he's always semi-out of touch, but I'm not sure if you thought he was out of the game for 10 years too. From 2004-2009 he was managing in Japan. His team won the Japan Series in 2005, for the first time in more than 30 years and his only championship. He had problems with the owner there too, but the fans liked him a lot. Hard to be fair to a guy like that, but there it is.

He also owns and operates a couple of bars and claims one of them was the first to ever serve a "wrap sandwich", i.e., in a soft tortilla roll instead of bread.

In a way, he reminds me of a slightly less whacked Billy Martin with considerably less success (only two playoff appearances in 15 major league seasons, I think.)

I knew he was managing in Japan, but it's just not the same as managing in the big leagues.

It's the second best baseball league in the world, and they have won the only two WBC titles. Their games are broadcast on national television too and they play to full houses. The language is different, and the ML talent level is higher. Other than that, it's the same gig.

It's the second best baseball league in the world, and they have won the only two WBC titles. Their games are broadcast on national television too and they play to full houses. The language is different, and the ML talent level is higher. Other than that, it's the same gig.

Whole different player - manager culture and different media focus. Bobby could just tell players what to do and they would do it, etc.

I'm sorry, I just don't agree. Different personalities, different culture, Bobby is more well-respected there than he is here. Look at the things he's said this year - I've never heard MLB managers say the ridiculous things he says. He's a bad manager and a bad baseball guy altogether, in my opinion.

I'm not going to defend the Red Sox, but a lot of good managers find themselves in situations that look ugly. I wouldn't want to judge Earl based on his '85-'86 unretirement.

Or Casey Stengel on his work with the Boston Braves. Or Bill McKechnie on his bizarre 38-win year in Boston in '35. Or Frank Chance's 61-91 season with the Sox... I may be sensing a trend here.

Archived