Brian - see if you can hit my fastball - Matusz

MachadOboutManny

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like him right where he is.....remember how valuable Arthur Rhoades was once he moved to the pen?

I have a feeling that's exactly who Brian Matusz will be. I'm all for giving him another chance to start next year if they go that route, but he's a money reliever.

I have a feeling that's exactly who Brian Matusz will be. I'm all for giving him another chance to start next year if they go that route, but he's a money reliever.

My view is, we know what he can be as a reliever -- we've seen it for two months now. But if he can take the confidence and command he has developed and carry its over into a starting role, he will be 3-5 times as valuable than as a reliever. So, you definitely have to give him that opportunity next spring, and put him in the rotation if he shows he's ready to return to that role. If he's not, well, we know he can do this job in excellent fashion.

My view is, we know what he can be as a reliever -- we've seen it for two months now. But if he can take the confidence and command he has developed and carry its over into a starting role, he will be 3-5 times as valuable than as a reliever. So, you definitely have to give him that opportunity next spring, and put him in the rotation if he shows he's ready to return to that role. If he's not, well, we know he can do this job in excellent fashion.

Arthur Lee Rhodes was 100x more valuable as a reliever as he ever could have been a a starter so either way, if he can suceed at a role and be that dominant I am very pleased. In other news, the Rays released Matt Bush.

Arthur Lee Rhodes was 100x more valuable as a reliever as he ever could have been a a starter so either way, if he can suceed at a role and be that dominant I am very pleased.

Arthur Rhodes was a very good reliever. He was worth about 14.8 rWAR in 16 years as a reliever, as opposed to -1.1 in 5 seasons as a part-time starter. Clearly, that move to the bullpen allowed him to have a long, successful career he could not have had as a starting pitcher.

To put it into contest, though, Brian Matusz's 2010 season he was worth 2.6 RWAR. Six seasons of that would be more valuable than Rhodes' entire career. So, if you believe there is a chance that Matusz can be as good or better as a starter than he was in 2010, then you need to give him another shot at it. And, I certainly believe it.

Arthur Rhodes was a very good reliever. He was worth about 14.8 rWAR in 16 years as a reliever, as opposed to -1.1 in 5 seasons as a part-time starter. Clearly, that move to the bullpen allowed him to have a long, successful career he could not have had as a starting pitcher.

To put it into contest, though, Brian Matusz's 2010 season he was worth 2.6 RWAR. Six seasons of that would be more valuable than Rhodes' entire career. So, if you believe there is a chance that Matusz can be as good or better as a starter than he was in 2010, then you need to give him another shot at it. And, I certainly believe it.

Well stated. I was more talking about Arthur, who I liked quite a bit.

Matusz success in the bullpen has been great.

I'd also like to see if he can get back to the rotation and maintain the stuff and control.

For now, and perhaps the season is ending soon, I'd like to see Matusz pitch for a bit more than one to three outs.

I thought Matusz should have stayed in and at least started the ninth to pitch at least through Ibanez. Buck was running through his relievers pretty fast and I thought we would have been in trouble after JJ and Hunter, IMO. (Not saying bring in JJ was a bad idea, but I though Matusz was effective and could have retired Martin and Ibanez.)

Archived