Brian - see if you can hit my fastball - Matusz

MachadOboutManny

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think it was big that Buck left him in there to face that many right handed batters. Really shows that Buck's faith in Matusz is increasing.
Think it's planting a seed to of confidence to bring him back to the rotation next year? That's my hope.

Agree with both of these. If Matusz starts next year, I think it begins at AAA, but he looks good.

Have you heard Matusz' quotes about his reliever role? He seems to revel in it. He likes the bullpen atmosphere, and he loves that he could be coming in to pitch in more games, contributing more often. If that's not just "saying the right things" maybe you don't mess with success here?

The TBS announcers were gushing about Matusz last night. Smoltzie called his stuff 'electric' and just kept talking about Matusz' heat. Cal said that like Chen's fastball, it has some late life that hitters really can't square up on.

I'm really glad Buck sent him back out to pitch the 8th last night. I wish he'd sent him out to pitch the 9th on Monday. At the time I thought it was nuts to burn through Brian that quickly Monday in a 2-2 game that had all the appearance of going extra innings.

Go get 'em Brian. Go O's.

The TBS announcers were gushing about Matusz last night. Smoltzie called his stuff 'electric' and just kept talking about Matusz' heat. Cal said that like Chen's fastball, it has some late life that hitters really can't square up on.

I'm really glad Buck sent him back out to pitch the 8th last night. I wish he'd sent him out to pitch the 9th on Monday. At the time I thought it was nuts to burn through Brian that quickly Monday in a 2-2 game that had all the appearance of going extra innings.

Go get 'em Brian. Go O's.

Going an extra inning in game one probably would have made him unavailable for game two. Since there is an off day between games two and three Buck could stretch him out more.

Is he our set up man tomorrow night? Oday in the 7th, Matusz in the 8th, and JJ in the 9th, is that how things line up now? A couple months ago some wanted Strop closing games, now he's been replaced and the team continues to shut down the opposition with other talented arms. Its amazing what confidence can do for a talented kid like Brian. Everything he throws is so sharp - he isnt scared of throwing anything to anyone - and he is doing it on the biggest stage the Os have been on since he has been alive.

There is no script. No one could have envisioned - no one would have suggested - no one would have taken anyone seriously ... if they were to say Brian Matusz will be a shut down, late inning, RP in the playoffs. That notion would be laughed at. This team is amazing. This chapter, of the story, gets better by the day.

I was initially pissed off we left O'Day in there for only a 1/3 of an inning but Brian came through. It feels nice to have so many options in the bullpen.
Also limits O'Days work plus the day off today to make him rested for tomorrow.

O'Day threw two innings on Friday and an inning on Sunday, so I wasn't surprised that Buck wanted to limit him to one batter yesterday.

Have you heard Matusz' quotes about his reliever role? He seems to revel in it. He likes the bullpen atmosphere, and he loves that he could be coming in to pitch in more games, contributing more often. If that's not just "saying the right things" maybe you don't mess with success here?

I'd still like to test him as a starter, but I think you let Matusz decide. If he likes the bullpen more and is comfortable there, obviously let him stay. If he still is hungry to make it as a starter, then I think that confidence will carry over. Either way, though, this is a great problem to have.

Archived