Do you want to take a shot at Josh Hamilton?

Frobby

Do you want to pursue Josh Hamilton  

232 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want to pursue Josh Hamilton

• Yes, he is the big bat we need and is worth the expense and risk
    • No, he will be too expensive and is too risky

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I said no, for several reasons:

- He's another feast-or-famine bat on a team full of them (Davis, Jones, Reynolds to some extent...)

- He's average to below-average defensively in LF, and his arm is nothing special.

- He doesn't add any other kind of dimension to the offense. Not that fast, doesn't steal bases, average baserunner, walk rate below-average, etc.

- His second half batting stats were comparable to the guys we already have and pay significantly less to.

- He's not young (32), oft-injured, and has a reputation for being an iffy clubhouse guy.

Fortunately, there's no chance we sign him. If DD didn't make that clear in his last interview, I don't know what else he could do.

I voted NO. Although I agree with others that he would be great for 3 years, I think realistically it is going to take 5+ years and $100+ million to sign him. We learned our lesson with Albert Belle. Go back to the Oriole Way, develop superstars from within and look to free agency for role players. If this means it takes us a couple more years to compete, then so be it. I don't want to overpay for a superstar that is probably already past his peak.

If for some reason Hamilton is having trouble on the market and you can get him for 2-3 years, then I would say go for it. I think that a 2-3 year deal with a lot of money is not as big of a risk as a 5 year deal would be. I just think Hamilton will get a 4-5 year deal. I really do.

I voted No, but I am really on the fence about this. I think we either need an elite MOO bat or a TOR starter. If you think that Bundy is that TOR starter, then I would seriously consider Hamilton, if not, I would be all for either Greinke or looking into a trade for a TOR starter.

I absolutely want him. I think we need to take the next step as a team and the only way you can do that is to upgrade some obviously average positions... LF with McClouth and 1B with Reynolds being the obvious choices. Everyone keeps talking about 2B, but you have to let BRob try to come back and win that job.

Hamilton solves 2 issues for me... LF and #4 hitter. Everything changes with him in the lineup. Is he risky? Absolutely. And on so many levels-- performance, personal issues, clubhouse persona. But, I think he would make us alot better. Buck would definitely get the most out of him, I believe.

While I was trumpeting DD going after Hamilton (using the fact that DD had gone after Manny Ramirez), it's clear that DD is not going to make a run. He said our core players are going to come from the system.

I think he'll try to trade to improve the rotation and try to add a piece in LF, 1B or DH.

I absolutely want him. I think we need to take the next step as a team and the only way you can do that is to upgrade some obviously average positions... LF with McClouth and 1B with Reynolds being the obvious choices. Everyone keeps talking about 2B, but you have to let BRob try to come back and win that job.

Hamilton solves 2 issues for me... LF and #4 hitter. Everything changes with him in the lineup. Is he risky? Absolutely. And on so many levels-- performance, personal issues, clubhouse persona. But, I think he would make us alot better. Buck would definitely get the most out of him, I believe.

While I was trumpeting DD going after Hamilton (using the fact that DD had gone after Manny Ramirez), it's clear that DD is not going to make a run. He said our core players are going to come from the system.

I think he'll try to trade to improve the rotation and try to add a piece in LF, 1B or DH.

When you say you want him, even if its for 5 years?

Just a few FYI's.

- Dallas also has a very reputable medical community.

- Hamilton is loved in the clubhouse by his teammates.

- Most of the "issues" he supposedly has are blown completely out of proportion by the local media.

That all being said...I would actually prefer to trade some of our "excess" pitching to Colorado for Dexter Fowler. So I voted no

I said no, for several reasons:

- He's another feast-or-famine bat on a team full of them (Davis, Jones, Reynolds to some extent...)

- He's average to below-average defensively in LF, and his arm is nothing special.

- He doesn't add any other kind of dimension to the offense. Not that fast, doesn't steal bases, average baserunner, walk rate below-average, etc.

- His second half batting stats were comparable to the guys we already have and pay significantly less to.

- He's not young (32), oft-injured, and has a reputation for being an iffy clubhouse guy.

Fortunately, there's no chance we sign him. If DD didn't make that clear in his last interview, I don't know what else he could do.

I think there is a bit of an exaggeration going on above here. Hamilton's career OBP is 360 including 354 last year, in what was considered a down year. Jones and Davis has a 323 and 310 OBP. Let's not get out of hand here. His OBP alone is the specific dimension this OF needs. His bad second half made him look bad. But how much are you willing to invest into 2.5 months of a guy. Poor timing for sure.

He isn't young. And his second half was [edited said wasn't] bad. But we can get the guy for 3/72 - 4/85 because everyone else is thinking like this, shouldn't we at least get in the running.

I'm not convinced Baltimore is ready to add any payroll let alone that much. So for that reason I don't think they will. But if there is ever a time to add talent that if it works out can be had on the cheap for what his peak level performance could be, and can be had without having to hand a guy 10 years like Pujols or 9 years like Fielder...this is the time. The upside is good and I don't see any major power bats coming through Baltimore's farm system for at least 2 more years.

Texas has been a franchise willing to give players chances and second chances. Their lack of enthusiasm bothers me as does the body language that I saw at the end of the year. I'd pass on Hamilton unless his salary was low enough that cutting him if the issues persisted was not an issue. I'm pretty comfortable with McLouth, Jones, Markakis actually.

Hamilton had a down second half, and he was being beaten down by the Metro media for months. Does no one remember his first half when he was the best player alive? He hit four home runs in one game at Camden. Aside from an AWFUL month of July, Hamilton had a much better year this year than last. I watched Hamilton get booed for every AB during the Wildcard game. It was pathetic.

4/94. See if he bites and stick him in LF/DH. Get insurance and clauses on his contract about the substance problems. Watch him hit 40HR power us to the postseason.

And then we will lose for 14 years in a row again when we are using our entire salary on an aged Hamilton that can't produce.

One sunk salary is not going to ruin the team for 14 years, and in any event there are usually teams willing to take the salary from you under the right circumstances.

I wouldn't want to give him 5 years, but I'd be OK with 4. But I think someone will end up giving him 6 or 7.

Archived