Would you consider acquiring a stud 3rd Baseman and sending Machado back to minors?

FanSince88

Willing to send Machado to minors/bench if O's sign stud 3B?  

127 members have voted

1. 1. Willing to send Machado to minors/bench if O's sign stud 3B?

• No way, Machado needs to start every day next year he is a guaranteed All-Star
    • Yes, send machado to the bench or minors if you're able to sign a proven 3B

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And he had a 282 OBP last season. I would rather have a franchise level player under team control for six more seasons at short.

Which is why I said "if he's on the team". I don't have a problem with trading Hardy if they feel it's appropriate, but if he's playing for us I want him at the position he excels at, which happens to be arguably the most important position on the field.

I'd really rather try to fix 2B and let Machado have 3B.

Kind of surprised at how willing people are to move Hardy off of SS. He's one of the best defenders in the league at that position. If he's on the team, that's where I want him playing.

You're right, but if Hardy's in the last year of his deal and Machado is our future at SS, I put Machado at SS rather than moving him from 3B to 2B to SS.

I strongly disagree with the idea of putting Machado at second base.

If the alternatives are (1) put Machado in the minors, or (2) put Machado at 2B, then I am in favor of (2). If the alternatives are (1) put Hardy at 2B, or (2) put Machado at 2B, I am still in favor of (2). Would I be willing to trade Hardy so Machado can move to SS? That depends on what we have going on at 2B.

Which is why I said "if he's on the team". I don't have a problem with trading Hardy if they feel it's appropriate, but if he's playing for us I want him at the position he excels at, which happens to be arguably the most important position on the field.

Only if you consider the Catcher to be off the field.

I have stated my opinion before: I do not think that Machado can play 3B for 2 1/2 seasons then transition to SS at the MLB level. I think if the O's make him a 3B now then that is where he will stay.

I am unwilling to give up six years of Machado at SS for two years of Hardy at SS.

You're right, but if Hardy's in the last year of his deal and Machado is our future at SS, I put Machado at SS rather than moving him from 3B to 2B to SS.

Pretty sure Hardy has 2 more years on his deal. But I agree that I would not want Machado bouncing around that much. The team needs to decide what the future holds for Hardy.

I have stated my opinion before: I do not think that Machado can play 3B for 2 1/2 seasons then transition to SS at the MLB level. I think if the O's make him a 3B now then that is where he will stay.

Interesting. I have not read that opinion. What makes you think the extra time at 3rd would make it impossible for him to return to SS?

This is where we disagree. If Machado can come up to the majors with one game of experience at 3B, and excel there for two months, there is little doubt in my mind that he could play 3B in 2013-14 and then transition back to SS, where he has played many hundreds of games.

Just my opinion.

This. Unless Hardy turns out to be a trainwreck at 2B or refuses to do it, I'd rather have him there than Machado. In fact, you might be able to do some sort of platoon-ish thing between him and Flaherty at 2B. And if Manny would regress and need to spend a little time back down at AAA to tune things up, or gets injured, Hardy could step right back to SS. I like where you're going with this. I think if you do keep Macado in the big leagues, you look to put him at SS if possible and can get a good Hedaley-type replacement at 3B.

Pretty sure Hardy has 2 more years on his deal. But I agree that I would not want Machado bouncing around that much. The team needs to decide what the future holds for Hardy.

Interesting. I have not read that opinion. What makes you think the extra time at 3rd would make it impossible for him to return to SS?

The fact that a number of experts feel he will outgrow the SS position.

I think if he goes into two offseasons with the goal of preparing to be a third baseman he will bulk up to the extent that he would be unable to play shortstop at a high level.

As Frobby said in his post

Just my opinion.

The fact that a number of experts feel he will outgrow the SS position.

I think if he goes into two offseasons with the goal of preparing to be a third baseman he will bulk up to the extent that he would be unable to play shortstop at a high level.

As Frobby said in his post

Just my opinion.

Fair enough. Really no way to support or refute it, but certainly makes me understand where you're coming from.

Archived