Best rookie class ever?

Frobby

OK, that might be a bit hyperbolic, but I think 2012 is going to go down as one of the best, if not the best, rookie classes of all time.

Hitters: Trout, Harper, Machado, Cespedes, and numerous others.

Pitchers: Eight qualifiers including Darvish, Chen, Miley, Harrell, Malone, Parker, Moore and Diamond, all with ERAs under 4.00 except Chen (4.02) and at least 11 wins.

OK, that might be a bit hyperbolic, but I think 2012 is going to go down as one of the best, if not the best, rookie classes of all time.

Hitters: Trout, Harper, Machado, Cespedes, and numerous others.

Pitchers: Eight qualifiers including Darvish, Chen, Miley, Harrell, Malone, Parker, Moore and Diamond, all with ERAs under 4.00 except Chen (4.02) and at least 11 wins.

It is pretty darn good. I guess Todd Frazier and Anthony Rizzo did not qualify.

You can add in Yasmani Grandal, Will Middlebrooks, and Matt Harvey. Starlin Marte, Anthony Gose, Andrelton Simmons, and Brett Jackson are also highly regarded prospects.

Jurickson Profar, Mike Olt, Dylan Bundy, Shelby Miller, Jake Odorizzi, Trevor Bauer, and Tyler Skaggs all made their debuts but retained rookie status.

Not sure the big names are going to quite live up to some of the historic expectations, but I still think this is very good for baseball. Younger players seem to be more popular and keep fans interested. Nice to have all these guys hit at the same time after a somewhat dry period overall the past few years.

Archived