2012 GTP: Mark Reynolds

Tony-OH

Grade Reynolds  

178 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Reynolds

D for Reynolds. I know he's a favorite, but his WAR was roughly zero this year, his abysmal defense at 3B caused chaos in the line-up/field for a while, his power was gone except for a solid 10 game stretch where he carried the team. He looks *good* at 1B with a fair amount of highlight-reel stuff, but the balance of his skill-set still only makes him an average 1B. I don't want to see the O's pick up his option. Negotiate him down if we must keep.

This. Like the guy but really don't want him back at all. I want Davis at 1B for the next decade.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Right, but Ripken wants him here for the next decade. Pretty sure he won't be cheaper then Reynolds in 6 years (and if he is the O's won't want him).

Yeah, can't commit to the next decade until I see next year and see where it goes. Too many question marks. Still think he has limited upside, but more than Reynolds. Davis will need to get his BA up in the 280-290 range imo. I don't see it, but he surprised me this year.

Right, but Ripken wants him here for the next decade. Pretty sure he won't be cheaper then Reynolds in 6 years (and if he is the O's won't want him).

Davis is younger, cheaper, better than Reynolds. The part about suggesting player costs 6 years from now is silly conjecture.

Davis is younger, cheaper, better than Reynolds. The part about suggesting player costs 6 years from now is silly conjecture.

No it isn't. You are not going to get Davis at the league minimum for the next decade. I would also argue the better part of your argument. Davis has similar strikeout issue as Reynolds but without the walk rate.

Yeah, can't commit to the next decade until I see next year and see where it goes. Too many question marks. Still think he has limited upside, but more than Reynolds. Davis will need to get his BA up in the 280-290 range imo. I don't see it, but he surprised me this year.

I just mean, I want Davis at 1B for the foreseeable future. It's like saying Adam and Matt will be the CF and C for the next decade. I'm not suggesting we give Davis a 10 year contract or anything but I see him as part of our future. I don't see that with Reynolds. My opinion, not suggesting the Orioles agree.

I just mean, I want Davis at 1B for the foreseeable future. It's like saying Adam and Matt will be the CF and C for the next decade. I'm not suggesting we give Davis a 10 year contract or anything but I see him as part of our future. I don't see that with Reynolds. My opinion, not suggesting the Orioles agree.

OK that is a lot more reasonable a position to take. While I have been disappointed by his defense at first I can certainly see the appeal of having a price controlled player like Davis over there.

No it isn't. You are not going to get Davis at the league minimum for the next decade. I would also argue the better part of your argument. Davis has similar strikeout issue as Reynolds but without the walk rate.

I didn't say anything about league minimum for a decade. That's a straw man argument. Reynolds has a 2013 option for $11M. I don't want him at half of that.

They both strikeout too much but Davis is almost three years (31 months) younger and had an OPS 63 points higher (and a WAR 1.4 higher) this season.

I didn't say anything about league minimum for a decade. That's a straw man argument. Reynolds has a 2013 option for $11M. I don't want him at half of that.

They both strikeout too much but Davis is almost three years (31 months) younger and had an OPS 63 points higher (and a WAR 1.4 higher) this season.

You were trying to state that Davis was cheaper while advocating keeping him on the team for 10 more years. You then tried to state that his future salary wasn't of import. My stating that you would not get him at a minimum salary was in order to stress the point that you can not advocate keeping a player for 10 years and claim that he is cheaper then a player under contract for one year.

If you look at the numbers prior to this season, Reynolds was the superior offensive player. It is a bit short sighted to confine your stat crunching to only the current season.

I agree but overall this past year they had very similar OBP in 2012....I'd rather have more hits then walks. I also think at 26 Davis still has more time to considering that he is only 26 and this was his first full MLB season since 2009

I agree but overall this past year they had very similar OBP in 2012....I'd rather have more hits then walks. I also think at 26 Davis still has more time** to considering that he is only 26 and this was his first full MLB season since 2009

**More time to improve

If we had a consistent first baseman we might actually won a few more games.....argument goes both ways

Well, yes it does go both ways, but my statement was in response to the notion that "if you cut out x and y, then he wasn't very good," not an out-of-nowhere defense of Mark Reynolds winning us games.

You were trying to state that Davis was cheaper while advocating keeping him on the team for 10 more years. You then tried to state that his future salary wasn't of import. My stating that you would not get him at a minimum salary was in order to stress the point that you can not advocate keeping a player for 10 years and claim that he is cheaper then a player under contract for one year.

If you look at the numbers prior to this season, Reynolds was the superior offensive player. It is a bit short sighted to confine your stat crunching to only the current season.

Davis is cheaper for the next few seasons. No one has any idea what either will cost 6-10 years from now so it's completely irrelevant to the decisions made this off season unless you want to keep both, and you may, but I don't. Davis was better in 2012 and I *think* he'll be better going forward. There are no sure things when projecting player performance...

Archived