The #Orioles have declined Mark Reynolds' $11 mm option for 2013

Greg

Thats really all ive been saying. Why does one down year, all of a sudden the norm, and whipes out the previous years. Him getting back to the pre 2012 numbers is just as likely, as 2012 being what to expect from here on out.

And if anyone thought I was calling other posters dumb, I apologize. I assumed everyone knew I meant it in the way as a "dumb decision" by the Orioles. Not that I was calling other posters dumb, if they didnt want him back.

Not sure why posters keep saying 2012 was such a down year for Reynolds offensively. He had a 108 wRC+ last year as compared to his career wRC+ of 109. He was about average for his career and in relative terms with respect to the league. Yeah, he hit less homeruns. Pitching has also become a more dominant factor in recent years. In two of the previous 4 seasons he had wRC+ of 96 and 97.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like to see Reynolds return and then see the O's send some surplus pitching the Royals for LF Alex Gordon. In that scenario I have Reimold and Davis as my DH's and my defense remains intact while adding a 28 year old GG LFer who has a career .348 OBP and has put up back to back 800+ (.879 & .822) OPS years. He has also been a leadoff hitter that can get on base, which has been DD's stated goal for some time now. That gives you GG potential at 7 positions and perhaps 8 with Reynolds, while adding another young, impact hitter to your lineup.

Does your plan involve slipping the Royals GM some acid?

Buster Olney claimed that nobody should be surprised if they traded one of their core hitters for pitching and listed Gordon amongst Hosmer, Butler and Moustakas. He also said that Hosmer has the most value depiste a down year. I would be willing to part with 2 pitchers from Britton, Arrieta, Matusz, Strop, Patton and S Johnson plus an Avery or Hoes.

Thats really all ive been saying. Why does one down year, all of a sudden the norm, and whipes out the previous years. Him getting back to the pre 2012 numbers is just as likely, as 2012 being what to expect from here on out.

And if anyone thought I was calling other posters dumb, I apologize. I assumed everyone knew I meant it in the way as a "dumb decision" by the Orioles. Not that I was calling other posters dumb, if they didnt want him back.

The K's with Reynolds really, really hurt him (as they would anyone, really) but I feel like people forget how many injuries Reynolds has played through this year. Now, admittedly I've never played baseball on any kind of pro level but I have to assume that can affect a players ability at the plate. I still think he has gas in the tank and with confidence at his new position...who knows? It's a gamble...but no more (IMO) than signing a FA or trading for someone equally as mediocre.

also, I never took your "dumb decision" comment to mean anything personal. It's an online forum talking about baseball for heaven's sake, people need to chillax. Everyone is always sharing their opinions....can only go so far with wording things in such a way that no one, ever, gets offended. :o

Buster Olney claimed that nobody should be surprised if they traded one of their core hitters for pitching and listed Gordon amongst Hosmer, Butler and Moustakas. He also said that Hosmer has the most value depiste a down year. I would be willing to part with 2 pitchers from Britton, Arrieta, Matusz, Strop, Patton and S Johnson plus an Avery or Hoes.

I can't see Reynolds doing it as any part of a deal with KC. I guess I could see Davis in there along with Matusz, Arrieta/Britton and another prospect. That's still a big if. Maybe a deal similar to Headley could be worked, but I think KC/SD view Gordon/Headley as potential franchise players at this point.

I personally think Davis will be our first baseman next year and Betemit/Reimold will DH. But that could change if Reynolds agrees to a more team friendly contract and/or with some trades.

Disagree. I believe Buck and D.D. value defense. Davis is not a good defender. If we don't keep Reynolds at a team friendly contract, Would guess that we would look to aquire a 1B thru trade.

I'd be on board with this. I mean the kid just turned 23 years old. Way, way too early to call a bust. However, we have to keep Travis Snider in mind.

That said, I'd be really shocked if KC dealt him.

Disagree. I believe Buck and D.D. value defense. Davis is not a good defender. If we don't keep Reynolds at a team friendly contract, Would guess that we would look to aquire a 1B thru trade.

Don't think DD/Buck are convinced Chris Davis is a horrid defender at first base. Neither am I. We shall see.

Don't think DD/Buck are convinced Chris Davis is a horrid defender at first base. Neither am I. We shall see.

I'm having trouble reconciling the fairly decent OF play I saw from Davis this year with the somewhat poor showing he had at 1B early in 2012. He seems like he has the athletic skills to handle the position.

I'm having trouble reconciling the fairly decent OF play I saw from Davis this year with the somewhat poor showing he had at 1B early in 2012. He seems like he has the athletic skills to handle the position.

Yeah, some of the errors were fairly easy throws right off his glove as I recall. Looked much more comfortable/confident in the OF.

Um, I totally read your post as your OPINION that it would be dumb for the Os not t bring him back, so not sure what the other guy is annoyed about...

I prefer to have Mark back at a reasonable cost (1-2 years @ $7-8 million/year IMO)....and I agree he has as much a chance to progress as he does to regress especially if he knows he'll be at 1st from the beginning....He can play heavier at first and can focus this offseason on strength training...I'd thought he actually lost weight and focused on flexibility last winter (2011) to try to improve his 3b play.

Not sure why posters keep saying 2012 was such a down year for Reynolds offensively. He had a 108 wRC+ last year as compared to his career wRC+ of 109. He was about average for his career and in relative terms with respect to the league. Yeah, he hit less homeruns. Pitching has also become a more dominant factor in recent years. In two of the previous 4 seasons he had wRC+ of 96 and 97.

When I say down year, i'm referring more to the HR numbers. Other than that, it was a Reynolds type year.

I got a "gut feeling" that DD doesn't perceive Reynolds as a 9 million dollar ballplayer. I do think DD will try to work a deal with Reynolds at a lesser rate (say 2/14 or 3/20--possibly even less). If they don't get the deal done in the next 30 days then Reynolds will be non-tendered and hit the FA market. I just don't see this thing going to Arbitration. In that case Chris Davis will most likely be our everyday first-baseman in 2013. Just my thoughts on the matter...

I get the sense from a lot of people around here that when an Oriole seems to be breaking jout (i.e. Chris Davis) we are reminded that his career norms are X, but when an Oriole seems to regress it is foolish to expect him to rebound to his career norms. In fairness, I'm generally an optimist/on the homer-side, but I think what counts as "realistic" around here is often wieghted heavily to pessimism.

Archived