O's claim 2B/SS Alexi Casilla from Twins

VeveJones007

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think it's something of a trap to just assume that a very, very bad position becomes substantially upgraded when you sign a not-quite-so-bad player. Most of the time you have a -2 WAR position it's because your no-so-bad solutions all tank and you're left giving 100 PAs to plan D. In both 2007 and 2009 Casilla left the Twins scrambling for a replacement, much like Andino last season.

I don't know - DD seemed to have a knack for turning scrap heap pickups into useful pieces. (See McLouth, Nate). The pool of available 2B is so thin that you're not going to do much better than collect warm bodies unless you really think Scutaro is a good bet. (I don't.)

So maybe having 2 or 3 not-quote-so-bad options has the chance to backfire on you. But there isn't a whole lot we can do about that.

Every so often 2B becomes a more premium bat than SS. Maybe next year is one of those years.

2nd base is such a question mark for this team going into 2013 that signing a veteran stopgap for 2 years would just muddy things up even more. I think between Casilla, Roberts, Flaherty and Schoop that someone has to take control of the position. All options are unknowns for different reasons and its a gamble still assuming that someone even will step up but. Signing someone like Keppinger or Scutaro could put this team in a pickle if any four of the previously mentioned are ready to play major league baseball. We've already got Betemit...we don't need another 2 year sigh and roll your eyes contract.

This is for you guys who want to upgrade 2b beyond this. Do you honestly think that there is any way Buck and DD don't give the job to Brian Roberts? Buck loves him as a person. DD has 10 million reasons. They don't want to upgrade 2b b/c they're going to see what they have with BRob. C'mon. You have to know that. Let's stop talking about upgrading 2B.

If, and it's very likely, Brob comes back and is not good anymore, then they make a trade in July or see what the other guys are doing. But there was never any way they were going to get a full-time 2b. The job is BRob's to lose... again.

DD picked up Casilla b/c it fits with his philosophy. Take a look at the 40 man frequently and try to upgrade it. Casilla is a marginal upgrade over Andino. That's it.

Keep in mind that you can't REALLY believe DD when he says they won't pursue anybody else at the position. He's obviously not going to show his hand.

This. Casilla pick up was probably just taking advantage of an opportunity when it presented itself. If/when other opportunities present themselves he may do something more.

It just seems to me that the Orioles are going to give Roberts a shot, send Flaherty to AAA. Casilla can pinch run. I'd imagine that their awaiting Schoop and aren't going to upgrade the position long term otherwise.

This seems like the right move to me. They should give Roberts a shot, he won't be allowed to do as poorly as he did last season. Hopefully he has a full spring training to give us an indication of where he is.

This is for you guys who want to upgrade 2b beyond this. Do you honestly think that there is any way Buck and DD don't give the job to Brian Roberts? Buck loves him as a person. DD has 10 million reasons. They don't want to upgrade 2b b/c they're going to see what they have with BRob. C'mon. You have to know that. Let's stop talking about upgrading 2B.

If, and it's very likely, Brob comes back and is not good anymore, then they make a trade in July or see what the other guys are doing. But there was never any way they were going to get a full-time 2b. The job is BRob's to lose... again.

DD picked up Casilla b/c it fits with his philosophy. Take a look at the 40 man frequently and try to upgrade it. Casilla is a marginal upgrade over Andino. That's it.

I think you nailed it.

Completely agree with this. I'm glad to see DD is not wasting too many resources on a situation that he can't significantly help until it plays out on its own.

Folks were questioning me for advocating a move that might lead to less wins next year but would strengthen the team in the long run earlier today.

Do you think the O's can be a playoff contender while starting a guy that projected to a -9 WAR player over 154 games last season? If Roberts comes back at the level he was last year (a year younger and before hip surgery) then he could cost the teams 4-5 wins by the all star break.

Folks were questioning me for advocating a move that might lead to less wins next year but would strengthen the team in the long run earlier today.

Do you think the O's can be a playoff contender while starting a guy that projected to a -9 WAR player over 154 games last season? If Roberts comes back at the level he was last year (a year younger and before hip surgery) then he could cost the teams 4-5 wins by the all star break.

I think Buck has done enough for me to not question if he wants to use Roberts or not.

If I would have told you before last year that Lew Ford, Jim Thome, Nate McLouth, and Joe Saunders would help our team more then some players on our opening day roster you would have left.

I personally would rather start Flaherty next year over Roberts, but I think we all know that Roberts is going to get every shot to start. Starting Roberts is not nearly the same as trading your gold glove SS in hopes that the move helps you in the future.

I think Buck has done enough for me to not question if he wants to use Roberts or not.

If I would have told you before last year that Lew Ford, Jim Thome, Nate McLouth, and Joe Saunders would help our team more then some players on our opening day roster you would have left.

I personally would rather start Flaherty next year over Roberts, but I think we all know that Roberts is going to get every shot to start. Starting Roberts is not nearly the same as trading your gold glove SS in hopes that the move helps you in the future.

You could have told me Ted William's head was signed and produced more then Nick Johnson and I would have believed you. :P

Folks are in denial about how bad Roberts was last season. I do not see how a team that fancies itself a contender could run him out there everyday.

You could have told me Ted William's head was signed and produced more then Nick Johnson and I would have believed you. :P

Folks are in denial about how bad Roberts was last season. I do not see how a team that fancies itself a contender could run him out there everyday.

I agree. I loved B Rob, but his days are over. Besides the injuries, he just wasn't that good, when he did play, lately.

It just seems to me that the Orioles are going to give Roberts a shot, send Flaherty to AAA. Casilla can pinch run. I'd imagine that their awaiting Schoop and aren't going to upgrade the position long term otherwise.

This. Good call ET.

Roberts or Flaherty, whoever is on the team at the time, both hit righthanded pitching better than lefties. Combined they will get about 470 AB versus righthanded pitching next year.

The spot that Casilla or Andino fill is to platoon against lefties, back up SS and 3B and be a defensive replacement at 2B. If there are no major injuries in the infield that is less then 200 AB.

Casilla hit well against lefties last year. Not so good in 2011.

2011, 106 ab, 236/268/311/579

2012, 71 ab, 296/338/366/704

Andino hit well against lefties in 2011 but not in 2012.

2011, 144 ab, 306/367/354/721

2012, 125 ab, 216/295/312/607

They both are projected to get 1.8M in arbitration. I think DD offers them both 1.4M and whoever takes it gets the job. The other gets non tendered. I think this is just one of the ways DD keeps the payroll down.

Within the next year my guess is the Flaherty and Schoop will fill these two positions and both will be making around 500K each for several years.

Archived