Just an interesting article(Hamilton)

sevastras

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well ...Until Angelos signs a free agent that other teams actually covet I say the statement was accurate. The use of profanity is against the board rules FYI.

https://eucalyptus.atlassian.net/secure/attachment/10902/Ahhhh%2BNot%2Bagain%2B1297145580.jpg

How many of the Giants world series players this year were coveted big time free agents? I'll give you Zito who has been trash until this year in San Fran. Who else?

What impact did Albert Pujols have on the Angels this year?

What impact did Carl Crawford have on the Red Sox?

What impact had Adam Dunn had on the White Sox?

What impact had Cliff Lee had on the Phillies?

To answer your question, it's not the playoffs for any 4 of those.

https://eucalyptus.atlassian.net/secure/attachment/10902/Ahhhh%2BNot%2Bagain%2B1297145580.jpg

How many of the Giants world series players this year were coveted big time free agents? I'll give you Zito who has been trash until this year in San Fran. Who else?

Not to be picky, but Sox fans would say Crawford had a huge impact on their team.;)

To be fair, you can also find cases where spending money made a difference.

Prince Fielder helped get Detroit to the playoffs.

Yu Darvish was the ace of the Rangers who git to playoffs.

Cespedes was huge in Oaklands AL west title

Matt Holliday was the main force for St Louis

And asside from Crawford, the other guys you named was far from the reasons their teams missed the playoffs.

And asside from Crawford, the other guys you named was far from the reasons their teams missed the playoffs.

Yu Darvish and Cespedes were international free agents. I agree that they made a huge impact, but I don't think I am going to put them in the same category as the other guys we are talking about.

Cespedes is getting 8-10 million a year. Prince Fielder is getting 23-24. They aren't quite in the same category as HUGE contracts like Prince, Pujols, Cliff Lee, etc.

But These points dont make his argument ... I can think of Palmeiro when he signed here the 1st time.

Yu Darvish and Cespedes were international free agents. I agree that they made a huge impact, but I don't think I am going to put them in the same category as the other guys we are talking about.

Cespedes is getting 8-10 million a year. Prince Fielder is getting 23-24. They aren't quite in the same category as HUGE contracts like Prince, Pujols, Cliff Lee, etc.

Darvish was a bigger investment because of posting ... And Cepedes got a lot considering he had no MLB experience.

Your not including the huge posting fees Darvish and Cespedes got. You dont think 25 mil a year is huge? Thats on par with Crawford and Lee, more than Dunn.

Albert Pujols came around to bat .285 and hit 30 HRs with 105 RBI and a OPS+141. I'd say he earned his money in the first year of his contract.

Dunn came back from an awful season to slug 41 HRs and drive in 96. I'm sure the WSox were quite happy with the turnaround.

Cliff Lee pitched 211 innings for the Phils and had a 3.16 ERA and 1.114 WHIP. Not his greatest season, but certainly not his worst and Philly wasn't worse off because of him.

So, except for Crawford there were other factors as to why those teams didn't make the playoffs. Seems like a weak argument to lay it at the feet of these players.

Posting fee for Cespedes? Huh?

I know Cespedes didnt get a posting fee. Im typing on a cell phone. I meant to say the deal Cespedes got, for a player with no major league experience. That was a risk. The point still remains, and im sure most got the point I was making.

Maybe Brendan can tell us how foolish the Giants were to spend.....$117 million on payroll this past year.

Oh and they had ONE big name free agent, which is exactly what most of us are advocating for this team. No one is saying go on some wild spending spree, just ONE guy to supplement the core.

They had a core made up of solid players who were paid accordingly AND a premium free agent, not the dumpster diving spare parts makeup of a certain team that got bounced in the first round. Matter of fact that is the profile of every team who has won it all for the past 8 years, except when the $200 million Yankees won it in 2009, and the $143 million Red Sox won it in 2007.

Those teams had a few premium free agents didn't they?

But those guys don't help teams win, it was the guys making a million that drive championship teams. Yeah that is it.

Maybe Brendan can tell us how foolish the Giants were to spend.....$117 million on payroll this past year.

Oh and they had ONE big name free agent, which is exactly what most of us are advocating for this team. No one is saying go on some wild spending spree, just ONE guy to supplement the core.

They had a core made up of solid players who were paid accordingly AND a premium free agent, not the dumpster diving spare parts makeup of a certain team that got bounced in the first round. Matter of fact that is the profile of every team who has won it all for the past 8 years, except when the $200 million Yankees won it in 2009, and the $143 million Red Sox won it in 2007.

But those guys don't help teams win, it was the guys making a million that drive championship teams. Yeah that is it.

Let's not forget the Giants have a starting pitching staff made up of Matt Cain, Madison Bumgarner, and Ryan Vogelsong, along with Zito and (until the playoffs) Lincecum. That certainly helps, as does playing in the NL West.

So, except for Crawford there were other factors as to why those teams didn't make the playoffs. Seems like a weak argument to lay it at the feet of these players.

My post was not to point out that those players played well. It was to point out that there teams paid a TON for them, and still missed the playoffs. Because of that, the Red Sox and Phillies both traded away players that they had planned on helping them win playoff games.

The Giants top two paid players this year had a 4.15 and a 5.18 ERA respectively. One was so bad he had to pitch out of the bullpen and has threads on this board about him being traded from the Giants so they can cut bait. They both did well for them in the playoffs, but they won this year because of young, cheap players.

Archived