Just an interesting article(Hamilton)

sevastras

Guess it depends on the definition of "huge deal"

Brewers tried to:

- Resign Sabathia for ~ 6/120$M (??)

- Resign Grienke for ~ 5/112$M (??)

- Resign Prince for ~ 6/120$M (??) [but he got stupid silly money]

Brewers could try a ~5/100$M for a guy like Hamilton, which is a fairly legit offer for a guy with issues at his age. Hey, at least its an offer... Os meanwhile are bolstering up their roster with non-tender candidates :laughlol:

You will notice, I am sure, that in all three cases your cited the Brewers were attempting to resign a player.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If the Orioles were going to increase payroll $25m/year on one player, I'd have much rather it been Prince Fielder. I see no reason why they would do it for such a high risk investment as Josh Hamilton. Especially under the artificial constraints of a shallow free agent market and sudden competitiveness. The Orioles shouldn't feel any pressure to sign a player like Hamilton unless he falls into their price range.

Okay but its too late for Fielder .... After this off season it will be too late for Hamilton. The Orioles need to offensive upgrades. My votes are to drop Reynolds all together and add Swisher & Hamilton. They should include a out clause on a 5/$25M per deal. If he has drug issues you have a opt out.

My Lineup would be

1 Markakis RF

2 Roberts/Casilla/Flaherty 2B

3 Swisher 1B

4 Hamilton LF

5 Jones CF

6 Machado 3B

7 Davis DH

8 Wieters C

9 Hardy SS

***** I know I know .... I want every high priced free agent Blah Blah Blah **** Angelos hasnt spend big money on players in years. The Orioles need star additions. And this lineup would be drastically better than having the Davis/Jones/Reynolds & or Thome hitting in the 3/4 slots in the Orioles lineup.

Okay but its too late for Fielder .... After this off season it will be too late for Hamilton. The Orioles need to offensive upgrades. My votes are to drop Reynolds all together and add Swisher & Hamilton. They should include a out clause on a 5/$25M per deal. If he has drug issues you have a opt out.

My Lineup would be

1 Markakis RF

3 Swisher 1B

4 Hamilton LF

5 Jones CF

6 Machado 3B

7 Davis DH

8 Wieters C

9 Hardy SS

***** I know I know .... I want every high priced free agent Blah Blah Blah **** Angelos hasnt spend big money on players in years. The Orioles need star additions. And this lineup would be drastically better than having the Davis/Jones/Reynolds & or Thome hitting in the 3/4 slots in the Orioles lineup.

I'd rather keep Reynolds and go after Berkman than Swisher.

Then you have:

9 L Markakis

8 R Jones

7 L Hamilton

0 S Berkman

3 R Reynolds

2 S Wieters

5 R Machado

4 S/L Roberts/Flaherty

6 R Hardy

Why do you say that?

Let see ... He's 36 and played in 32 games and hit .260. Why on earth would you want to count on him in the middle of your order.

If the O's could pull it off Hamilton & Swisher would be a major upgrade. TE bullpen is set unless you want to add a solid Loogy. The rotation is good IMO ...unless you can find a #1 ...and I don't think they will.

I'd personally go with Hammel, Tillman, Chen, Gonzo, and Johnson or Britton.

Let see ... He's 36 and played in 32 games and hit .260. Why on earth would you want to count on him in the middle of your order.

If the O's could pull it off Hamilton & Swisher would be a major upgrade. TE bullpen is set unless you want to add a solid Loogy. The rotation is good IMO ...unless you can find a #1 ...and I don't think they will.

Theres no way the Orioles sign Hamilton and Swisher.

I also think you left off their priority #1..Joe Saunders. Buck loved the guy, and I have no doubt they want him back. No way buck goes into 2013 with Johnson or Britton as rotation options imo.

I find it extremely unlikely that Buck leaves Britton/Johnson/Matusz/Arrieta to fight for that last rotation spot. That's a loser mentality imo. We have a bunch of guys that haven't gotten it done, but maybe one of them will turn out to be awesome. That's 2000s Orioles thinking. Johnson performed admirably, but I still see him as a reliever since as well as he was doing, he never pitched into the 7th inning last year.

You know what you're going to get in Saunders. His career average year is 209 IP with a 4.15 ERA. His peaks and valleys aren't much higher or lower than that. That's a good year. He's a good starting pitcher. He's a veteran who won't break the bank, and from what I've heard, he's a great guy in the clubhouse. He's local and he wants to be here. Perfect guy to bring back.

So basically because he's old and essentially missed a season. He still managed a .381 OBP, despite his not poor .259 BA. I'd count on him because he had a .826 OPS last year, .959 the year before and his worst season by OPS besides his rookie year was .781.

My Lineup would be

1 Markakis RF

3 Swisher 1B

4 Hamilton LF

5 Jones CF

6 Machado 3B

7 Davis DH

8 Wieters C

9 Hardy SS

I don't see this solving much. We ranked second in the AL in home runs but only ninth in runs scored because our biggest problem is our team OBP, and you don't fix that by getting rid of the guy who had the highest OBP on the team of players with more than 500 plate appearances and the guy with the third highest on the team out of everyone. I also don't get betting 5/125 on a 31 year old former addict with two relapses in the last three years. I can see how Swisher would make sense, but he would have to turn down his 13M qualifying offer and would probably would be looking for at least a three year deal at something like 12M a year at least and at that price I pass on him.

I can see how Swisher would make sense, but he would have to turn down his 13M qualifying offer and would probably would be looking for at least a three year deal at something like 12M a year at least and at that price I pass on him.

He will get at least $15M a year. I would be shocked if he gets less that 4/$60M and he may well get 6/$90-100M

I don't see this solving much. We ranked second in the AL in home runs but only ninth in runs scored because our biggest problem is our team OBP, and you don't fix that by getting rid of the guy who had the highest OBP on the team of players with more than 500 plate appearances and the guy with the third highest on the team out of everyone. I also don't get betting 5/125 on a 31 year old former addict with two relapses in the last three years. I can see how Swisher would make sense, but he would have to turn down his 13M qualifying offer and would probably would be looking for at least a three year deal at something like 12M a year at least and at that price I pass on him.

At 3/36 we should seriously consider Swisher. Last I heard he was looking for 6/100 or thereabouts. The ultimate truth probably lies somewhere in the middle, but irritation factor aside, Swisher is really good fit for the Orioles this offseason.

I would love to see Hamilton bat cleanup for the Orioles, I know everyone talks about his attitude problems and how he seems to give up. But honest I can't help but feel for the guy, he was booed relentlessly at his home stadium in Texas.. I think that if he came to Baltimore Buck could work wonders with him. I really would like to see Hamilton adjust to a team-first oriented team like the Orioles. And I'm positive the Orioles clubhouse would make him feel welcome and help him play at the top of his game. Realistically he fits the bill of two of the three/four major needs this offseason: First and foremost a TRUE cleanup hitter to bat inbetween Jones and Wieters, and secondly a mainstay Left Fielder.. An outfield trio of Hamilton, Jones, and Markakis.. phew goosebumps.. With the abundance of pitching we have I say create a package of Nolan Reimold, Jake Arrieta, and perhaps a Brian Matusz with a mid-to-low-level prospect and acquire a true ace maybe a Josh Johnson? If not an ace maybe another solid hitter like a Billy Butler? Either way I'm on a tangent I vote yes to Hamilton!

I would love to see Hamilton bat cleanup for the Orioles, I know everyone talks about his attitude problems and how he seems to give up. But honest I can't help but feel for the guy, he was booed relentlessly at his home stadium in Texas.. I think that if he came to Baltimore Buck could work wonders with him. I really would like to see Hamilton adjust to a team-first oriented team like the Orioles. And I'm positive the Orioles clubhouse would make him feel welcome and help him play at the top of his game. Realistically he fits the bill of two of the three/four major needs this offseason: First and foremost a TRUE cleanup hitter to bat inbetween Jones and Wieters, and secondly a mainstay Left Fielder.. An outfield trio of Hamilton, Jones, and Markakis.. phew goosebumps.. With the abundance of pitching we have I say create a package of Nolan Reimold, Jake Arrieta, and perhaps a Brian Matusz with a mid-to-low-level prospect and acquire a true ace maybe a Josh Johnson? If not an ace maybe another solid hitter like a Billy Butler? Either way I'm on a tangent I vote yes to Hamilton!

Butler would work for me in place of Swisher if he can be had without giving up a ton. I personally don't think Reimold has much value.

Another thing I don't get. The Brewers are a smaller market team then the O's. They carried a 98 mil payroll in 2012. They can add 30 mil in payroll, and somehow manage to continue operating. Yet, the O's can't handle a payroll increase to 120-130 mil?

Not really hard to decipher, it's called a cheap owner.

Archived