Orioles add Independent League Pitchers L Mahon & C Johnson.

Roll Tide

I am not getting in the argument, but the Ortiz deal was specifically to appease a fan favorite, at the VERY end of his career with a two year deal. And the contract was constructed expecting a severe decline over that time.

And one could expect a older free agent seeking mega dollars to decline his last few seasons.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Incorrect Frob

2012 Contract Status: Signed thru 2014, 4 yrs/$30M (11-14) & 15 team option

Pretty big mistake on my part, I was just looking at his service time and not his contract status. That makes your 4-1 proposal much more reasonable, though it still seems a bit rich to me.

And one could expect a older free agent seeking mega dollars to decline his last few seasons.

What you are discussing here is an outlier, as would any deal for Hamilton which included a decline in compensation at the end. A very rare odd case.

I don't know how anyone can be upset with moves like this. Duquette shocked everyone last year by signing so much depth there was concern there would be enough roster spots for everyone. It turned out in our favor; guys like Greg Burke, Stu Pomeranz, and Miguel Gonzalez (to name a few) turned out really well for us. Even guys like Socolovich, Eveland, and Romero, who didn't turn out to be much still contributed to the big league club during the season.

You just never know about guys like this. All teams make signings like this and I don't think that the team is advertising "Oooh look who we got", as though they were some sort of replacement for major league signings in any capacity.

Yeah but it controls the impact of the burden to payroll in the last few years when the player isnt worth $20 million.

You would be better off putting that money in a low risk investment, or even a savings account, so that you receive the interest from that money. Then when that payroll crunch comes, you can take the money out of the investment.

More Dumpster Diving:thumbsup1::rolleyes:

The live cheap crowd gets a few more names to drool over. The front office hoping to catch lightning in a bottle.

Yea, I'd much rather they completely ignore the minor league system and depth so that the "spend it, ALL OF IT, it's not my money" crowd will be drooling about Duquette's laser focus on $100M free agents.

Yea, I'd much rather they completely ignore the minor league system and depth so that the "spend it, ALL OF IT, it's not my money" crowd will be drooling about Duquette's laser focus on $100M free agents.

Again ....Another poster guilty of putting words in my mouth. I have never said spend it all or anything close. Doesnt anybody remember the days when we added Palmeiro, Surhoff, and Roberto Alomar to team? Im not suggesting filling the roster like they did back in the mid 90s. But we cant afford to sign 1 top free agent??? Ridiculous and I'm not buying it. Will signing one such type player handcuff the organization? And thats not even counting the money the ownership has been pocketing for the last 10 plus years.

If you do demand money spent, why not spend it on Greinke? There's a much better argument to be made for Greinke than Hamilton.

Greinke would be a good signing ...But Im not in the spend it all crowd. The Orioles need a MOO bat (maybe even two) far worse than they need a TOR IMO. Hey Milwaukee is now rumored to be in on Hamilton. Surely if they can afford him the Orioles can...Just Sayin'

Again ....Another poster guilty of putting words in my mouth. I have never said spend it all or anything close. Doesnt anybody remember the days when we added Palmeiro, Surhoff, and Roberto Alomar to team? Im not suggesting filling the roster like they did back in the mid 90s. But we cant afford to sign 1 top free agent??? Ridiculous and I'm not buying it. Will signing one such type player handcuff the organization? And thats not even counting the money the ownership has been pocketing for the last 10 plus years.

This from the guy who rants and rails about the "live cheap crowd". As if there's a large group of us who would love to see a Marlins-like payroll, and love that Peter Angelos has no way to explain what he does with his and MASN's revenues.

My main point, though, was to ridicule your nonsensical connection between a completely run-of-the-mill set of minor league depth signings and the fact the O's aren't signing top-tier free agents. What, are we to believe that filling out the AAA team precludes a team from signing MLB free agents? Or that Mahon and Johnson are the only signings Angelos will agree to? It's like yelling at your mom for buying a bag of microwave popcorn because you're mad the family doesn't have a Aston Martin in the driveway.

But again, it's minor league depth. No one is thinking of these players as starters.

Deep depth. This is what I love best about DD. MacPhail never seemed to have enough bullets by the end of the year. It's just like SoxHotCorner said when he was in Boston's system, many players disappeared and MANY new ones appeared. Turnover. Depth.

Greinke would be a good signing ...But Im not in the spend it all crowd. The Orioles need a MOO bat (maybe even two) far worse than they need a TOR IMO. Hey Milwaukee is now rumored to be in on Hamilton. Surely if they can afford him the Orioles can...Just Sayin'

I think the below post by Frobby should go in the sticky section and guys like you should print it out and stick it on your forehead. We all get it, but the stuff gets really old after awhile.

None of us have the full facts about the Orioles' economics, and I just don't feel like driving myself crazy wishing the Orioles were going to suddenly decide to increase payroll by 30-50%. Maybe they could, maybe they couldn't, but they clearly aren't going to, so I'd rather think about how to spend the money they are willing to spend, instead of thinking about how to spend money they aren't willing to spend

Yes ... I undertsand how it works...But thats all the Orioles have done since they signed Tejada.

Good lord. Let's just pretend that what you're saying is true. This "dumpster diving" got us to the playoffs last season. Do you remember that? It was like two months ago.

Good lord. Let's just pretend that what you're saying is true. This "dumpster diving" got us to the playoffs last season. Do you remember that? It was like two months ago.

Sure ..We caught lightning in a bottle. Toronto was decimated with injuries. Boston collapsed and entered rebuilding. We broke a 100 year old record in the process. As I said lightning in a bottle. I'm not foolish enough to expect a repeat.

Archived