O's have reached out to Swisher's agent

ChaosLex

The age and money put me off a bit. However, if on base percentage is really important to us this offseason, Swisher makes sense. Youkilis also makes a ton of sense. Two 20 home run bats that get on base 36% of the time would be great.

I know being exYankee, exRed Sox is a downfall but it also gives them playoff experience. As long as number of years are modest, I would love to see this lineup

Markakis-rf

Youkilis-1b

Swisher-lf

Jones-cf

Wieters-c

Davis-dh

Machado-3b

Hardy-ss

Roberts/casilla-2b

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, we just let one of our best OBP guys walk. Does that make sense? It had better not be to sign either Swisher or Youkilis, two guys in the twilight of their careers. I will wait and let this play out, but right now it looks like DD is ready to tear down the house that AM built.

Well, we just let one of our best OBP guys walk. Does that make sense? It had better not be to sign either Swisher or Youkilis, two guys in the twilight of their careers. I will wait and let this play out, but right now it looks like DD is ready to tear down the house that AM built.

Whom are you referring to?

My disdain for him is not just because he's a Yankee. Everyone I've heard talk about him says he tends to rub the clubhouse the wrong way over time. So you're gonna let a guy walk who was seemingly great for the clubhouse for a guy who is known to produce issues? I just don't like it.

You guys need to divorce yourselves from your Yankee hatred. ;)

The law is reason free from passion. - Aristotle

So is GM-ing. - scOtt

You also said that we needed to be patient with Kevin Gregg when he was an Oriole, and some of us were "hating" on him.

You guys need to divorce yourselves from your Yankee hatred. ;)

The law is reason free from passion. - Aristotle

So is GM-ing. - scOtt

Totally agree. It's silly.

If the guy can improve your lineup, (and here's the caveat) fit in with the rest of the team, then go for him. I don't care where he comes from.

High OBP guys usually walk a lot anyway. :P

My disdain for him is not just because he's a Yankee. Everyone I've heard talk about him says he tends to rub the clubhouse the wrong way over time. So you're gonna let a guy walk who was seemingly great for the clubhouse for a guy who is known to produce issues? I just don't like it.

Everything I've heard about Swisher is extremely the exact opposite.

I live in NY and hear a lot of Yankee chatter and can't say that I picked up on rumors of clubhouse obnoxiousness. The gripes I did hear often were that he K's a lot in late-inning clutch situations and is a poor outfielder. But the stats don't really bear that out. He also looked much weaker batting right-handed than left-handed last season, but his career stats show the opposite (.842 OPS batting righty, .820 lefty).

We've got an ex-Boston GM in Duquette and ex-Yankee player and manager in Buck. If they are convinced that Swisher can do well on the O's, I guess I would just learn to adjust. "Swish" landing dingers for us in Yankee Stadium's right-field porch--I could warm up to that real quick.

Archived