O's will probably make a trade at the meetings

Going Underground

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think The O's are still talking to alot of teams. McLouth signing would change things. Dbacks,Rockies,Royals,Braves and many more teams are still in play. Who knows?

I think people love to panic and assume the worst. Of course Steve Pearce is going to get 700 PAs at first base this year, Duquette usually goes four months without touching the roster.

But a below average 1B making league minimum improves the chances of winning?

Obviously Duquette thinks there are other options that will improve the chances of winning more. Even if Reynolds is the best available first baseman at that cost it's possible that, in combination with other moves, the O's can get better with a lesser first baseman making far less. For example, they cobble together a cheap platoon at first and use the cost savings to upgrade at second or left or wherever. There are always options.

I think The O's are still talking to alot of teams. McLouth signing would change things. Dbacks,Rockies,Royals,Braves and many more teams are still in play. Who knows?

Are you saying if McLouth signs elsewhere it makes it more likely that they make a trade?

I read that as "I don't think a below-average first baseman making $9M+ a year fits in our budget if we want to win."

Or loosely " Mark is not worth 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 million dollars. He is worth 5 or 6. We want to stick to that with him."

How can you win more games if you don't have someone making 20M+ on your roster that you signed as a FA?

Little known fact: Angelos slipped Nick Markakis an envelope with $8,000,000 in it during last year's spring training, thus putting him over $20M for the year, and allowing the Orioles to win.

Little known fact: Angelos slipped Nick Markakis an envelope with $8,000,000 in it during last year's spring training, thus putting him over $20M for the year, and allowing the Orioles to win.

Doesn't count. They have to be signed from someone else, so that we have something to be excited about during the winter. My guess is that we secretly gave Betemit 20M, not 2.

Doesn't count. They have to be signed from someone else, so that we have something to be excited about during the winter. My guess is that we secretly gave Betemit 20M, not 2.

No, Buster Olney didn't hint at us signing Betemit before we signed him so I don't think he really counts as an Oriole. This isn't some lawless anarchy where you can sign a player without the press knowing that you're talking to him beforehand.

No, Buster Olney didn't hint at us signing Betemit before we signed him so I don't think he really counts as an Oriole. This isn't some lawless anarchy where you can sign a player without the press knowing that you're talking to him beforehand.

Good point, I guess last year really was a fluke. We better hurry up and throw a bunch of money at Hamilton, because from my understanding, it works a lot better if the player is a hitter and not a pitcher, so Greinke is out.

Good point, I guess last year really was a fluke. We better hurry up and throw a bunch of money at Hamilton, because from my understanding, it works a lot better if the player is a hitter and not a pitcher, so Greinke is out.

If you haven't had a 40-homer season are you really even a free agent? More like part of the rabble, just begging for a job.

Archived