O's out of Hamilton sweepstakes according to ESPN Insider

nickr4444

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Resigning your own players isn't a skill really, every team does it a time or another. Signing a FA or two to that kind of money might be more impressive, no? Roberts was a waste of $40 million though.

I don't want impressive. I want smart.

Don't have so much confidence in him. Three guys in fifteen years isn't a great percentage.

There have been more than 3 in the last 15 years, but I think it's beside the point. The overall payroll is what matters, and when the payroll is in the sub-$100 mm range, there's only so many guys making $10 mm plus that the team will be able to have at any one time.

There have been more than 3 in the last 15 years, but I think it's beside the point. The overall payroll is what matters, and when the payroll is in the sub-$100 mm range, there's only so many guys making $10 mm plus that the team will be able to have at any one time.
Raffy Palmeiro (1994) Robbie Alomar (1996) were more than 15 years ago. Free agents in the last 15 years, Albert Belle (1998), Miguel Tejada (2003)....????

Raffy Palmeiro (1994) Robbie Alomar (1996) were more than 15 years ago. Free agents in the last 15 years, Albert Belle (1998), Miguel Tejada (2003)....????

The list I was responding to was discussing Markakis, Roberts and Jones.

The list I was responding to was discussing Markakis, Roberts and Jones.
FA or re signings...money is money. You are saying that Angelos won't spend it, and you are wrong. He has spent it and will continue to.
Don't have so much confidence in him. Three guys in fifteen years isn't a great percentage.

The main topic though is spending on a large free agent. If you want to expand it to resigning our own players, do we arrive at five players in fifteen years instead of three?

The main topic though is spending on a large free agent. If you want to expand it to resigning our own players, do we arrive at five players in fifteen years instead of three?

I was under the impression that we were talking about Angelos spending period. Not just FA.

Because Angelos spends.

I sure hope they're out of the running, the guy is an accident/waste of money waiting to happen. You simply can't give that kind of money/time to a guy with his history, it's financially irresponsible. I know people here just want to sign someone/anyone for a lot of money, are pissed at stingy Pete, but signing Hamilton would be a mistake. The most that would be reasonable, the most, would be 3/60, and even that's a risk, but maybe one worth taking for the possibility of continued success. Anything more than that, wait a year or two for a superstar who is safer, or find a time machine and go back and give the money to Fielder. The O's giving huge money/time could hurt them for years.

Archived