Whichever side you're on of the Hall of Fame Steroids Debate ...

mobico

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I didn't really care for the article. It's an argument I've heard several times before. There are several holes in it that the writer didn't choose to delve into. I would expect as much from ESPN.

*really hate to do this...*

Oh really? Like what? Personally, that particular argument is one I've held for years now. Every era has it's quirks. From 93-05 we can just subsection it into it's own era. Bonds, Clemens et al proved they were the best of that era and should be in the hall of fame. Notice, I don't say "deserve". It wasn't a level playing field but it was the only field we had for more than a decade. The steroid era was part of the game.

*really hate to do this...*

Oh really? Like what? Personally, that particular argument is one I've held for years now. Every era has it's quirks. From 93-05 we can just subsection it into it's own era. Bonds, Clemens et al proved they were the best of that era and should be in the hall of fame. Notice, I don't say "deserve". It wasn't a level playing field but it was the only field we had for more than a decade. The steroid era was part of the game.

And it went on a lot longer then 93-05.

The process is stupid for the hall. You need a certain percentage to get in. Any dude who has the power of pen to paper controls your fate regardless of what he does or doesn't know. In the other sports that take names out of a hat and of those candidates they vote for the best 4 that year.

You get caught cheating you don't get in. Period. Writers will vote in players though to get press.

It really depends on how you view the Hall of Fame. To me, it's a way to tell the story of baseball. As such, I believe that anyone that is essential to tell the story of the game in the era they played should be in the Hall of Fame. To me, that includes Raffy, Bonds, Clemens. It also includes Pete Rose and Joe Jackson.

If I had a ballot, I'd vote 10 guys in, including: Bonds, Clemens, Raffy, Bagwell, Biggio, Piazza, Raines, Schilling, Sosa (and either McGwire, Morris or Martinez).

There are no rules or regulations to the voting as it pertains to the 'cheaters.' As such, it's up to the voter's philosophy. There has been a lot of turmoil about the lack of clarity provided to the voters regarding the steroid users, but I think it's good to leave it up to the hearts and minds of the voters. The hall of fame is important because we fans of the game believe it to be important. The BBWAA members that vote are essential fans of the game that get paid to be fans of the game. I think it'll be interesting to see how these fans continue to treat the PED era players.

It really depends on how you view the Hall of Fame. To me, it's a way to tell the story of baseball. As such, I believe that anyone that is essential to tell the story of the game in the era they played should be in the Hall of Fame. To me, that includes Raffy, Bonds, Clemens. It also includes Pete Rose and Joe Jackson.

If I had a ballot, I'd vote 10 guys in, including: Bonds, Clemens, Raffy, Bagwell, Biggio, Piazza, Raines, Schilling, Sosa (and either McGwire, Morris or Martinez).

There are no rules or regulations to the voting as it pertains to the 'cheaters.' As such, it's up to the voter's philosophy. There has been a lot of turmoil about the lack of clarity provided to the voters regarding the steroid users, but I think it's good to leave it up to the hearts and minds of the voters. The hall of fame is important because we fans of the game believe it to be important. The BBWAA members that vote are essential fans of the game that get paid to be fans of the game. I think it'll be interesting to see how these fans continue to treat the PED era players.

Not many, but there are some rules. Most notably the ones that say if you gamble on baseball you're banned, and if you're banned you're ineligible for the Hall.

But that's about it. There's nothing in the baseball or HOF rules that would preclude the induction of someone who corks a bat, pops a pill, or spits on a ball.

Not many, but there are some rules. Most notably the ones that say if you gamble on baseball you're banned, and if you're banned you're ineligible for the Hall.

But that's about it. There's nothing in the baseball or HOF rules that would preclude the induction of someone who corks a bat, pops a pill, or spits on a ball.

Or an Ump.

Archived