Jair Jurrjens agrees to deal with Orioles

Greg

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They tried to, don't you remember? Jones for Jurrjens, Prado, and Delgado? No one wanted to pay him the salary that he would have gotten.

I think they wanted to trade him, but when teams look at the Braves past deals when they send pitching elsewhere, they seem to fizzle. For Jurrjens, he is only 26 and I truly feel like he can regain his form--with the right kid of training. Chris Tillman found his form (we hope) so why can't Jurrjens?

Teams don't just non tender guys that have no value. We non tendered Mark Reynolds if it means anything.

But he's a can't miss 26 y/o with all this WAR piled up that started in the AS Game.

I know why they didn't trade him. Maybe tone it down on the zealousness.

Why is it JJ has so much value in your eyes but Bundy is likely to hit his ceiling?

I'm not sure I understand your question, why does JJ have value in my eyes, but Bundy is likely to hit his ceiling? You mean Bundy ISN'T likely?

I don't feel that way. I feel like Dylan is very very valuable. My argument was, is he more valuable than Upton? That's where it gets a little grey.

But he's a can't miss 26 y/o with all this WAR piled up that started in the AS Game.

I know why they didn't trade him. Maybe tone it down on the zealousness.

Really? Were you working with their front office or...?

The reality is, no one knows why front offices do things they do. We don't now why they didn't trade him. It was reported that they were trying to trade him, and no one wanted to pay the salary that he would be getting in arbitration, IMHO.

I don't think you can make a case that the Atkins deal caused any long term harm to the franchise. We have no evidence to show that if the money had not been spent it would have been put to better use elsewhere and Atkins certainly wasn't blocking any young, talented player.

No, but it was symptomatic of a scouting and analysis system that was broken. You can't look at Atkins' body of work and his statistical track record and think there's anything but a microscopic chance of him working out. Atkins had 150 PAs with the O's, and I'm not sure he ever hit a ball 350 feet. And he was an offense-first first baseman.

If it is a major league contract, doesn't that mean he has to be added to the 40 man? As I read the O's homepage, our 40 man is full already. If he does gets added, who do you waive? Probably the extra catcher, Luis Martinez?

I'm guessing Exposito...if he's still on the 40 man.

Hello, this is Tommy Hanson calling. Can I have some of whatever you're smoking?

Seriously though, the Braves KNOW THEIR PITCHING. That's been proven time and time again over the last few decades. They would NEVER let someone walk unless he was broken. Can you name a single, young Braves pitcher that they gave up on who went on to continued success somewhere else. And if Bruce Chen is all ya got, then it's not helping your cause.

Ummmmmmm....I didn't even have to google this, but Adam Wainwright to name one. Not saying that I agree with the Iceman, but you're a bit OOC yourself.

He was good and seemed to lose it all. But he never pitched under a 3.00 ERA like Jurrjens did, and never started an All Star Game.

Kazmir career WAR? 15.5 he is 29 years old.

Jurrjens career WAR? 10.3 he is only 26 years old.

You really want to do this?

Kazmir was a two time all star by the age of 24. Jurrjen has only been an all star once and that wasn't until he was 25.

ERA is a limited stat. Kazmir was pitching in the AL East, Jurrjen in the NL where they do not have the DH. Kazmir's career high ERA+ of 141 is certainly comparable to Jurrjens best of 159. By the age of 24 Kazmir had three seasons of ERA+ over 120, Jurrjen had one.

Kazmir had 16.2 bWAR/15.5 fWAR by the end of his age 24 season. Jurrjens? You yourself stated 10.3 at 26

The two are certainly comparable.

Plenty of young pitchers do well, then collapse, sometimes by the age of 26.

Hello, this is Tommy Hanson calling. Can I have some of whatever you're smoking?

Seriously though, the Braves KNOW THEIR PITCHING. That's been proven time and time again over the last few decades. They would NEVER let someone walk unless he was broken. Can you name a single, young Braves pitcher that they gave up on who went on to continued success somewhere else. And if Bruce Chen is all ya got, then it's not helping your cause.

I think you consider that the team who knows him best let him go. But you do your own scouting and decide if he's worth it. You don't just issue a blanket order to ignore everyone the Braves have cut loose.

Now that I've googled it....Matt Harrison.

Chris Tillman found his form (we hope) so why can't Jurrjens?

Because Jurrjens isn't Tillman, and probably doesn't have the same reasons for his decline. Steve Avery was a better pitcher than Jurrjens and his career was essentially over at 25. There are probably more pitchers like that than guys who were good, got hurt, lost it, and came back.

Archived