ARam opts for free agency

Sports Guy

This is huge if he is a free agent.

Think the O's need to sign him and maybe trade ARam.

For those who want Tejada traded, his value will only go up

if the O's sign ARam.

Of course if you sign ARam would you still be looking at trading Tejada

if the right deal came around?

So i clicked the links at

MLBTRADERUMORS....

And this is what I found on northside.

Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:45 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Treeman wrote:

if the cubs lose aramis im going to inject heroin into my forehead on jim hendry's doorstep

I was gonna sign A-ram, but then I got high...

Was gonna sign Jason Schmidt too, but then I got high...

We're gonna finish in 6th place, and I know why...

Because I got high, because I got high, because I got high...

La la la la la la la

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So i clicked the links at

MLBTRADERUMORS....

And this is what I found on northside.

Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:45 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's great to know that others suffer.....

I'd go along with your OF. I just don't think Gibbons will work out at 1B for 2 reasons:

1. I heard what he said about playing 1B before last season. He clearly did not want to play there - calling himself a RFer.

2. While I think he has the physical ability to do a good job there, he just showed no instincts. I mean... I've filled in a few times at 1B on a rec league softball team, and I think I showed better instincts than he did. :)

I like the idea of trading for a blocked guy from another organization and maybe have him split time with Millar.

On starter, Lilly is mediocre at best. Padilla and Meche have some upside, but we need a #1 guy to really compete. Bedard is a solid #2. I still have hope for Cabrera being a #1, but we can't count on it. And I'd like to see Penn in the pen this season.

1. He might change his tune now that he knows (he has to know, right?) that Markakis is engraved in right field for the next 5 or more years. I think if he has the choice between 1B and DH he would choose 1B.

2. That might be true, but 1B is not a position where you need much defensive prowess. As long as he could go out there and do the job I think it would be fine. He can't be much worse than Millar defensively.

I don't think I would sign Lilly and I don't think the Orioles will anymore either after reading about his injury history. I would still sign one of Padilla or Meche unless we can trade for a top starter. I would like to see Penn get a shot at the rotation in ST. If he doesn't earn it, I still haven't decided whether I would let him start at AAA until needed/ready or let him work in the bullpen until needed/ready.

Quick question:

Who was the last player that the Orioles signed who replaced (or moved) an existing veteran Oriole from his position after just signing a large multi-year deal?

-m

Well it is similar to the Lopez/Hernandez situation although Lopez was in his last year of the contract and could have been extended and he expected to be. Hernandez replaced Lopez as an upgrade. I'm sure Melvin would move to LF for the good of the team but I don't think the current Orioles FO would even think about asking him to move as they are very loyal to their veterans.

Well it is similar to the Lopez/Hernandez situation although Lopez was in his last year of the contract and could have been extended and he expected to be. Hernandez replaced Lopez as an upgrade. I'm sure Melvin would move to LF for the good of the team but I don't think the current Orioles FO would even think about asking him to move as they are very loyal to their veterans.

Great pull... that's what I was trying pull out.

However, the difference in my opinion is that the Mora situation concerns a current "popular" player potentially being ousted by a free agent. When was the last time THAT happened? It's debatable what defines popularity, but few would deny that Mora is more of a fixture than Lopez ever was. The Orioles, if nothing else, have shown a semblance of loyalty to their veteran players, and I would expect that Mora would be treated no differently.

-m

Great pull... that's what I was trying pull out.

However, the difference in my opinion is that the Mora situation concerns a current "popular" player potentially being ousted by a free agent. When was the last time THAT happened? It's debatable what defines popularity, but few would deny that Mora is more of a fixture than Lopez ever was. The Orioles, if nothing else, have shown a semblance of loyalty to their veteran players, and I would expect that Mora would be treated no differently.

-m

In my opinion the O's should tell Mora that they may go after ARam and move him to LF. He deserves to hear it from the team and not read it in the newspaper.

I'm sure he'd prefer to stay at 3B but I doubt he would make a fuss if the O's acquired a big bat like that.

Guest oriofan8
In my opinion the O's should tell Mora that they may go after ARam and move him to LF. He deserves to hear it from the team and not read it in the newspaper.

...maybe he's already been told this...:D

Can you guys come back to reality. The contracts this offseason are going to be insane! ARam's contract is going to be insane as well. Add into the insanity that the Angels, Cubs, and maybe the Yankees, will all be looking for a 3B. The Orioles will have to overpay insanity to get him. Forget ARam!
Isn't that what Sapper was trying to say, in his own way, in his catch-all topic ?;)

Can you guys come back to reality. The contracts this offseason are going to be insane! ARam's contract is going to be insane as well. Add into the insanity that the Angels, Cubs, and maybe the Yankees, will all be looking for a 3B. The Orioles will have to overpay insanity to get him. Forget ARam!

ARam SHOULD be the #1 target but there are 2 obstacles:

1) Money

2) Asking Mora to move

As much as i want ARam here and as much as he makes perfect sense, it is hard to envision this group of jokers, err i mean the Orioles FO overcoming both of those obstacles.

And I had no problem with Sapper's thread. The message was right on target. The only reason the thread was attacked was because it was Sapper. The O's will wind up overpaying for mid-tier FA's, and clog the roster with older players, when they should be making moves for as many Scott Hairston types as possible and moving Miggy (for young talent). JMO
I agree on all counts.

ARam SHOULD be the #1 target but there are 2 obstacles:

1) Money

2) Asking Mora to move

As much as i want ARam here and as much as he makes perfect sense, it is hard to envision this group of jokers, err i mean the Orioles FO overcoming both of those obstacles.

I can't see Mora moving being a real obstacle.... as much complaining as they (Tejada and Mora) have done for the FO to acquire real talent to compete, how could they be a barrier to that process and yet continue to complain?

Archived