Orioles dropping Hardy from the 2 spot?

Norfolk orioles

Apologies if this has already been mentioned somewhere and I missed it, but just saw this update from Espn that says Buck plans on dropping Hardy down in the order because he thinks it will help us and him be more productive.

I think this is a good move and one all of us support.

So with Hardy batting lower in the lineup, where do you move him (I'd guess 6th or7th depending on the matchups) and who takes his place?

My guess is Reimold or McClouth with Kakes hitting in the leadoff spot again. Opinions?

http://www.delawareonline.com/viewart/20130221/SPORTS01/302210056/Baltimore-decides-move-Hardy-lineup

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The lineup should look like this (but it wont)

Markakis - RF

Reimold - LF/DH

Wieters - C

Jones - CF

Davis - 1B

Hardy - SS

Betemit/McLouth - DH/LF

Machado - 3B

Roberts - 2B

Yes, I'm comfortable with Wieters hitting 3rd. Who knows, it might light a fire under his butt. And if that means Nick is going to be our lead off hitter, so be it.

Depending on how Hardy and Machado are hitting, I'm fine with switching them. But to start, have Machado hitting 8th.

All I can say is thank God. I'd guess the plan is Roberts 1st, McLouth/Reimold 2nd, Markakis 3rd, though what happens when Roberts gets hurt or sucks I'm not sure, maybe everyone moves up a slot?

Why would Markakis be hitting 3rd? Its been obvious over the years that his power numbers have declined. I think hes great for the leadoff, sometimes hes too eager to hit which causes him to not work the count but I think he should stay as our leadoff or #2.

Markakis

Reimold

Jones

Davis

Wieters

Mclouth

Machado

Hardy

Roberts

Kakes should be #2 just because he's not particularly a good base stealer.

If Reimold picks up where he left off when he was injured last year, he's penciled in as my #3 with Jones back in the #4 spot.

McLouth #1 and Roberts #9 would be my positions for them unless Roberts has a stellar spring training.

Why would Markakis be hitting 3rd? Its been obvious over the years that his power numbers have declined.

Markakis was on a 20 homer, 44 double pace last year, but for his injuries. I have a slight preference for batting him higher than 3rd, but he can handle batting 3rd if that's what meets the team's needs.

Against RHP (with Reimold):

Kakes

McClouth

Reimold (DH)

Davis

Jones

Wieters

Machado

Hardy

Roberts/Casilla

Against RHP (Betemit, no Reimold)

Markakis

McClouth

Jones

Davis

Wieters

Betemit

Machado

Hardy

Roberts

Against LHP

Markakis

Reimold

Jones

Davis

Wieters

Machado

Hardy

McClouth (or other RH hitter)

Roberts

McLouth

Markakis

Wieters

Jones

Davis

Hardy

Machado

Betemit/RHDH

Roberts or Casilla

I actually like this lineup as much or more than the one I made. Wieters and Davis are the only ones I would even consider changing. I guess it depends who's hitting better.

Markakis was on a 20 homer, 44 double pace last year, but for his injuries. I have a slight preference for batting him higher than 3rd, but he can handle batting 3rd if that's what meets the team's needs.

Markakis is one of those rare players that you can really put anywhere in your line up. However, 8 of his 13 HR's were hit before mid May.

Looking at the second half splits where he was hitting leadoff was really impressive.

Split       G  PA  AB  R  H 2B 3B HR RBI   BA  OBP  SLG  OPS1st Half   50 225 199 25 51 13  1  8  26 .256 .333 .452 .7862nd Half   54 246 221 34 74 15  2  5  28 .335 .390 .489 .879

Assuming everyone is healthy and producing as expected I think Buck will run this line up out on a regular basis.

Brob 2B

McLouth LF

Markakis RF

Jones CF

Davis 1B

Wieters C

Reimold DH

Machado 3B

Hardy SS

I'm not saying it's optimal. And expecting BRob to be the leadoff hitter he once was is probably not a good idea. But I think this is what Buck probably has in mind.

Some people have Wieters batting before Jones. Why would you want to turn Jones into a station to station runner when Wieters gets on base? Jones would pass Wieters on the basepaths. That is why Jones should be third. Then I like the lefty Davis fourth and switch hitter Wieters fifth.

Markakis (Forget the steals. He is our best OBP guy and does hit many doubles)

McClouth LF/Reimold LF

Jones

Davis

Wieters

Reimold DH/ Betemit DH

Machado

Hardy

Roberts/Casilla/Flaherty

If Machado has a good spring i'd like to see...

1. Markakis

2. Machado

3. Davis

4. Jones

5. Wieters

6. Reimold/Betemit

7. Hardy

8. Roberts/Casilla/Flaherty

9. Mclouth

I think Machado could eventually be there at #2, but I would still let him hit lower in the the lineup for at least half a season. Let him gain lots of confidence in the lower part of the lineup first.

Archived