So how about Brian Roberts today?

markakis8

Hey, I am a Roberts doubter myself, but if I only posted when he scuffled so I could say, see I was right to have doubts, I'd be a hater. There are a lot of folks here that have their doubts and are afaraid to be cought cheEering for him, because being seen as right, is more important to them than him succedding. IMO.

I think the differentiating issue with Roberts is that a lot of people are afraid of politics and putting an ineffective Roberts in the field. Last year is fresh in people's mind. Not to mention the whole history and circumstances (age/injuries etc) of this thing.

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think that's true. If Roberts performs I think just about everybody will be making positive comments as they would any other player. BG included.

I was wrong about Hammel and said as much last year. I'm wrong all the time about lots of things in baseball. I'm right a lot too. That's what happens when you watch baseball for over a decade and make thousands of posts on sports forums, sometimes you're right about Jay Payton, Jeremy Guthrie, and Matt Hobgood, mostly you're wrong about Kurt Ainsworth, Daniel Cabrera, John Maine, Jorge Julio, Chris Ray, Daniel Cabrera again, Larry Bigbie, Jay Gibbons (sorta), David Newhan 2004, Luis Matos, Daniel Cabrera again, and Adam Loewen. But most forums don't have prosecuting attorneys because those people are anal and annoying :noidea:

You'd have to be crazy NOT to be a Roberts doubter. The list of middle infielders who performed well at the age of 31, then were injured and ineffective for THREE YEARS, only to come back at age 35 and pick up where they left off, is vanishingly small. It just doesn't happen.

I wouldn't read much into Roberts spring training, though. He does have more to prove, and so he's not going to take these at-bats the way most regulars do, as a chance to work on some things or get loose or whatever. He's fighting for a job. Obviously, that hunger is a good thing, but I'm not confident it will translate in the regular season when the stakes are raised.

Yeah, this is a good post that echoes a lot of my sentiments.

My initial impression is that physical conditioning does look much better than last year though.

I was wrong about Hammel and said as much last year. I'm wrong all the time about lots of things in baseball. I'm right a lot too. That's what happens when you watch baseball for over a decade and make thousands of posts on sports forums, sometimes you're right about Jay Payton, Jeremy Guthrie, and Matt Hobgood, mostly you're wrong about Kurt Ainsworth, Daniel Cabrera, John Maine, Jorge Julio, Chris Ray, Daniel Cabrera again, Larry Bigbie, Jay Gibbons (sorta), David Newhan 2004, Luis Matos, Daniel Cabrera again, and Adam Loewen. But most forums don't have prosecuting attorneys because those people are anal and annoying :noidea:

No, I get you. Being critical or making negative projections can make you a hater in some people eyes.

The font you were using just screamed insincerity. Now Book Antiqua, that is a sincere font.

I could use Wingdings and Gordo would take "envelope, telephone, airplane, scissors, glasses, water droplet, file folder" to mean I'm a sexist anti-Semite who hopes Jim Johnson blows 20 saves and gets eaten by a grue.

I have always disliked Guthrie and thought that he was a #4 or 5 and we wouldnt be a real team until he was gone, but that is neither here nor there. Prosecuting attorneys arent as anal as engineers but that really has nothing to do about the conversation on Roberts. You shouldnt get so butt hurt about people not agreeing with you on the boards. We all love the O's and you contribute as much as any one else, it is conversation and debate.

No, I get you. Being critical or making negative projections can make you a hater in some people eyes.

What do you mean "No, I get you?" Who do you think you are? That is a critical word and I'll not be having it, not in this forum, I do say.

From now on you will use "unyes," or alternatively "doubleplusunyes" if someone asks you about signing Kyle Lohse.

That's really all I was looking for. I've had my BRob doubts, too, you've just had a tendency to lay on the harshness pretty thick. If he sucks, Buck will sit him, it's that simple.

But it's not that simple and you know it otherwise we wouldn't be on page 23 and headed for War and Peace territory.

Also, solid passive aggressive insult, nicely done.

You're killing me, Smalls.

No I did not call you small.

I thought these last few pages might be about Brian Roberts but instead they weren't.

Also, Spring Training stats mean nothing and Roberts is a long shot to be a useful player this season. Does that qualify me to join in the fun? :D

I thought these last few pages might be about Brian Roberts but instead they weren't.

Also, Spring Training stats mean nothing and Roberts is a long shot to be a useful player this season. Does that qualify me to join in the fun? :D

Hard to take you as a serious hater with the name Meow Meow.

No that doesnt qualify you. They are fighting each other and will not allow anyone else to join in, unless of course half the board has me on ignore and I didnt know it. And usually when these threads get this long they have nothing to do with the original topic, you should know that by now!:)

Archived