Jim Johnson Today, 2013

OFFNY

These problems are cause and effect. Starting pitchers not pitching deep so there's over use of the bullpen and continuous close games which set up for much more chance of what happened tonight. This really limits Bucks flexibility but it's definitely something he is going to have to look into.. JJ just doesn't throw strikes. With all that being said our offense lost the game tonight.

They sure didnt help things.

• Replies 997
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We will not make the playoffs with Jim Johnson as our closer. It's just that simple. He's a bum. He's a joke. He's terrible. He has 7 losses and 6 blown saves. He's no better than Pedro Strop at this point. He can't pitch under pressure. He can't pitch at all actually, he's down right terrible.

Hunter might give up a few long balls, but they are most likely solo shots. He won't flat out lose the game like Johnson does.

Pretty much all of JJ's blown saves have been such deflating losses too. Even if he hadn't blown just 3 of them, we are 51-36 instead of 48-39 right now. That's the difference between a league average closer and the worst closer in the league by far. Yeah his WHIP and ERA aren't too bad, but when you have 6 blown saves and 7 losses, you are terrible.

Nothing is going to change but Johnson is killing us this year. He was a top notch closer last year. He isn't this year. That simple. We are going to live and die with Jim Johnson as closer. Nothing is going to change anytime soon.

I wouldn't be so sure about this anymore. I think even Buck can see the damage JJ has done. I think there is a chance some changes are made.

I was pretty surprised Buck didn't go O'Day for the RHB at #9 and Matusz for the LHB from 1 to 4. The top of the Yanks line up is clearly susceptible to left handed pitching yet we didn't utilize it. I'm disappointed.

It is pretty clear that JJ just doesn't have his command in a lot of outings right now. The stuff is still there for the most part, but the command was pretty awful tonight. For the first time, JJ looked uncomfortable to me. It is time to do things differently for awhile.

Yeah, now that the starters are starting to go deeper on a regular basis the bullpen has been rested enough to play these kinds of match-ups. We currently have a couple long men in the pen so I agree he should begin utilizing them.

Most likely though, if a change is made, it'll be Hunter to the closer's role. We need to trade for another bullpen arm.

Another thing is the offense, credit where credit is due to Nova (I'm sure both of you could speak to how effective he was or how bad the bats were), but the offense is in a serious funk just as our starters are in a groove.

Yeah but you know the Hunter, O'Day closer proponents miss the picture too... Johnson is obviously not irreplaceable but he's not easily replaced either.

All three of those guys have roughly the same xFIP. Johnson's failures are magnified by the inning he pitches but Hunter, with his almost identical K rate, better BB rate but worse HR rate, would probably get his fair share of complaints too, just with less torturous innings than Johnson. Hunter's ERA is buoyed by leaving almost all of his runners on base (93%!) O'Day gets more K's, has a similar walk rate, and for his career generally allows more home runs than Johnson.

The smart thing is to play match-ups and stop treating the 9th inning like it's hallowed ground but Buck will never do it.

That is why I was willing to sell high on any bullpen arm not named Matusz last offseason. Relief pitching it too volatile.

And yes it sadly looks like Buck will not be the guy to break from the herd with regards to bullpen use.

Its pretty much a forgone conclusion that he won't be brought back next season based on his decline and the fact that his salary is going to go up. He's already overpaid at 6 million per, so I'd offer him to anyone even Detroit and settle on just dumping him to save a few million and basically the season as well.

Patting yourself on the back in this thread at this moment? Interesting choice. Reminds me of another poster who used to dominate this place.

JJ isn't irreplaceable but I hope you realize that it isn't as simple as inserting Hunter or O'Day to "solve" the problem. I love O'Day but I'm particularly surprised so many are pushing for him. Lefties are KILLING him this year. No good team can have a closer that can't face lefties.

I personally advocate a match up process for now. We'll see how it goes.

Do you know my posting history at all?

Really?

That baseless accusation bothers me as much as the game.

Archived