Jim Johnson Today, 2013

OFFNY

• Replies 997
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is the second time he's ruined a win for Gonzalez, most of any pitcher. Of Johnson's 6 blown saves this year:

5/14 vs. SD: Game started by Tillman, winning pitcher would've been O'Day

5/18 vs. TB: Game started by Jurrjens, winning pitcher would've been Jurrjens

5/20 vs. NYY: Game started by Garcia, winning pitcher would've been Patton

5/26 at TOR: Game started by Gonzalez, winning pitcher would've been Gonzalez

6/26 vs. CLE: Game started by Hammel, winning pitcher would've been Matusz

7/5 at NYY: Game started by Gonzalez, winning pitcher would've been Gonzalez

Thanks Paul. I knew this wasn't the first time he took away one of his wins.

Good post. The entire bullpen has had their bad moments. O'Day has been a little shaky of late too and not as good against LH's like he was last year. Hunter gave up the lead in Toronto to Kawasaki and lost Thursday's game. Matusz hasn't been as good as last year. Patton is looking good now but was real shaky for the first 2 months. Johnson has killed us the most though.

It wouldn't hurt for the offense to get it together either. BP isn't doing its job right now, but they could do without the added pressure of having to be perfect.

Not much more that can be added. A change in the closer role is long overdue. If we can take one positive out of this loss, hopefully it is that Buck has seen what most of us have for a while and will no longer use JJ as our closer.

Who didn't know we were in trouble when JJ came in for the 9th? Who didnt know the game was likely over when JJ made the error? When the count went 2-0, who was surprised he walked in the tying run. I mean, who else besides Buck Showalter.

Great post game questions Gary.

Imagine the tension in the locker room after the game.

Johnson's used to the feeling of losing the game for the team now. 7 times this year already, and twice in the playoffs last year. Hell, he cost the Orioles the ALDS last year. Ever since then he's been a mental midget and folds under pressure. You notice how every time he blows a save the lead off man gets on? He has no balls. As soon as he gets into any trouble, he's done.

Patting yourself on the back in this thread at this moment? Interesting choice. Reminds me of another poster who used to dominate this place.

JJ isn't irreplaceable but I hope you realize that it isn't as simple as inserting Hunter or O'Day to "solve" the problem. I love O'Day but I'm particularly surprised so many are pushing for him. Lefties are KILLING him this year. No good team can have a closer that can't face lefties.

I personally advocate a match up process for now. We'll see how it goes.

I would prefer Hunter if for no other reason than he won't GIVE it away like JJ has been.

Why do you need a "closer"??? If the guy is getting them out in the 8th, let him start the ninth. Or go with the matchup. The Orioles do not have a true closer on the team. You gotta feel bad for Jim Johnson. He just doesn't have it this year.

I'm totally in favor of removing JJ from the closer's role, but I don't understand people criticizing Buck for avoiding the question on everyone's mind. Obviously JJ is struggling and obviously something's got to give, but it doesn't do anyone any good to throw Johnson under the bus. If he makes a change, which he should, it's better to just go ahead and do it. No need to publicly shame the man first.

JJ needs to go to middle relief. I'd be fine with Hunter or with a closer by committee for the moment. If all we cared about was winning this season, I'd go with Gausman as the closer, but I still think he's better served starting at Norfolk.

Steve Johnson has guts and throws strikes--I'd like to see what he could do as a closer when he's back from the DL.

No matter who the closer-for-the-night is, Buck needs to have someone else warmed up. JJ should not have been allowed to face another batter after walking Hafner on 4 pitches. But nobody was ready to come in, so the O's had to ride JJ right down the toilet.

By the way, I don't feel like making a full thread about it, but we've got a serious AJ issue at this point. His front shoulder is just gone on every swing. It has been that way for awhile and is getting worse. He is simply refusing to go to right field or is unable. I know others have hit on this earlier and I saw it too, but tonight was the first time it became really evident he can't stay inside the ball. AJ is really hurting us right now.

Well said. He know it right now too (and now so does his batting helmet). I think the inevitable offensive slump is finally upon us.

Archived